Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Drop-in replacement turbo options

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2008, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 4kinboost
I have the set-up up for sale.

.82 a/r turbine section
meagan header
tial waste gate
v-band downpipe

All for $300.

You will need.
-Any gt30 series turbo
-oil/water lines
good seller
Old Jun 25, 2008, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by justboosted02
VoidHawk...

you would need a manifold/02 housing that will bolt up to the dsm flanges, thats it.
another thought ... would it be possible to just swap the hotside housing on the PTE turbo for a stock one to make it fit with the stock O2 housing / manifold?
Old Jun 26, 2008, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by voidhawk
another thought ... would it be possible to just swap the hotside housing on the PTE turbo for a stock one to make it fit with the stock O2 housing / manifold?
no, the housings wont even mate up. stock uses a vband, and garrett uses a ring attached with bolts.

thats if the mitsu housing is even big enough for the garrett wheel

plus the stock setup is for reverse rotation

Last edited by justboosted02; Jun 26, 2008 at 10:59 AM.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Davek,

Look for the recent posts in "the official hta green thread" there was talk about the failed hta becoming the "fp white". Robert had said this turbo with a 10.5 hotside spooled faster then his green with a 9.0, now if you took that new white which iirc was like 1295$ and had them put the 9.0 hotside, you'd spool like a madman. Just a thought!
Old Jun 26, 2008, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by justboosted02
no, the housings wont even mate up. stock uses a vband, and garrett uses a ring attached with bolts.

thats if the mitsu housing is even big enough for the garrett wheel
I see what you mean, oh well it was a good thought ... I have a Full Race header which I'm unwilling to let go of, otherwise I would have given it try ...
Old Jun 26, 2008, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evoPirate
Davek,

Look for the recent posts in "the official hta green thread" there was talk about the failed hta becoming the "fp white". Robert had said this turbo with a 10.5 hotside spooled faster then his green with a 9.0, now if you took that new white which iirc was like 1295$ and had them put the 9.0 hotside, you'd spool like a madman. Just a thought!
With the factory turbo falling off so quickly at 9000+ feet, I'm not sure that any of the currently available drop-in turbo upgrades would even be worth it. I'd gladly sacrifice a little bit of spool for a turbo that can make power at that altitude. The motor can handle 7500rpm, and since I'm using the car for racing only, a turbo that can hit full boost (25ish psi) by 4000-4500 still gives me a pretty useable power band.

Dave
Old Jun 26, 2008, 11:22 AM

At 9000 + ft altitude...your gonna need something pretty decent. Im at 4500ft, and there is a definite loss of spool compared to sea level. I would recommend something like the HTA3076 from Forced Performance...decent spool with good topend power. Or maybe FP green "fully modded" i.e.- equal length manifold, ported turbine housing, ported compressor housing inlet and outlet, bigger j-pipe, open dump o2 housing...I think the spool is the toughest part to tackle due to lack of oxygen..
Old Jun 26, 2008, 01:32 PM
Evolved Member

I agree ^^

With such thin air and a larger turbo you might get into a spot where that turbo spools later then you really need, especially coming out of shaprp turns and quick elevation changes. That big power could end up being a hinderance
Old Jun 26, 2008, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evoPirate
With such thin air and a larger turbo you might get into a spot where that turbo spools later then you really need, especially coming out of shaprp turns and quick elevation changes. That big power could end up being a hinderance
Big power and hinderance in the same sentance...surely you jest. Our 2009 plans call for a 12:1 compression 2.3 or 2.4L motor with anti-lag. I'd also agree with you guys that a 3076 is probably the largest I'd want to go on a stock 2.0L.

Dave
Old Jun 26, 2008, 07:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by PVD04
The turbos in your link are not bolt on for the evo. Those were bolt on for the DSMs that had the engines mirrored. The only bolt-on turbos larger than the Green are the ATP turbos.
are you 100% sure they wont bolt up those turbos are listed in the evo specific bolt on section
and there is a seperate section of turbos for the dsm
ill try to email the company and get more info in interested myself in something better than the green with less cost.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Turbodemon
are you 100% sure they wont bolt up those turbos are listed in the evo specific bolt on section
and there is a seperate section of turbos for the dsm
ill try to email the company and get more info in interested myself in something better than the green with less cost.
please do! even if the answer is that they don't fit, if enough people ask PTE might consider adding something that works to their line-up.

One more alternative to consider is the CBRD BBK turbo, but it's not officially released yet.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 08:03 PM
Former Sponsor

go green man
Old Jun 27, 2008, 12:25 AM
Evolved Member

sounds daft but have you spoken to anyone about a custom turbo?? i know some of the Pike Peak racers run custom turbos (i think they start with ex F1 or Champ car stuff??) that can spinn faster than normal turbos to give them more head room!

if you want to be competative then i would look into the custom turbos. they WILL meet your needs (as you will spec them! lol)!

if you HAVE to go for an off the shelf turbo then id say go GT30R! its comon 2.0race turbo over here (most races are restricted CC classes). if you want bigger then have a look into the T04Z. norris design has had some REALLY impresive result! similar power to the GT35Rs but spools faster!

Cheers

Chris.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 12:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DaveK
Big power and hinderance in the same sentance...surely you jest. Our 2009 plans call for a 12:1 compression 2.3 or 2.4L motor with anti-lag. I'd also agree with you guys that a 3076 is probably the largest I'd want to go on a stock 2.0L.

Dave
Dave have you ever seen this car??? http://www.mach2racing.com/

very nicely prepped RS200. with an aazing engine! they vent the BOV back into the exhaust manifold on overrun to act as an anti-lag. also they use a normal anti-lag system (retarding ignition timing)! you can onyl imagine what the two together are like! lol

from memory these gusy are running a 2.4 BDT Evo 2 engine with a custom turbos (deigned for altitude).

also their driver dosen't use O2! he thinks its for whimps! lol

Chris.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 01:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by djsgtrip
At 9000 + ft altitude...your gonna need something pretty decent. Im at 4500ft, and there is a definite loss of spool compared to sea level. I would recommend something like the HTA3076 from Forced Performance...decent spool with good topend power. Or maybe FP green "fully modded" i.e.- equal length manifold, ported turbine housing, ported compressor housing inlet and outlet, bigger j-pipe, open dump o2 housing...I think the spool is the toughest part to tackle due to lack of oxygen..

Hi DJ

Your absolutly RIGHT, I am at 6000ft altitude and I think the biggest problem with the Stock frame Turbo up here is that the 10.5 Hotside is only equivalent to maybe a T3 .48 or less...

So it cannot effectively hold more than 18-19psi at altitude... Its also not a good choice on a 2.3L as the Hotside becomes the main restriction when trying to maintain a decent airflow at high RPM.

The biggest gains to be got from the GT3076R are the 60mm GT30 Turbine wheel and the option of the T3 .63 Hotside, maybe even a T3 .82 on the 2.4L+ Strokers.

However on the Stock Block 2L the GT3076R does suffer with spool and divability when compared to the Stock frame Turbo's like the Green so I was considering the GT3071R as an alternative as it shares the GT3076R's 60mm GT30 Turbine wheel and I know it is a popular Auto-X choice in T3 .78 Twin Scroll Format for other 2L motors like Nissan, Toyota and Honda etc...

Quick Reply: Drop-in replacement turbo options