Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Drop-in replacement turbo options

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2008, 06:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by voidhawk
Back from the dead ... what route did you go in the end, and did you ever get confirmation from PTE on the compatibility of the Garrett turbos? They are very attractive being dual BB and 2/3 the price of an FP Green. If it's not a direct drop-in, can somebody guess at what is needed to make it fit in an Evo?

I always wondered why more people dont run these with the EVO's......back in the day the Grand Nationals were jam packed with these
Old Jun 27, 2008, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chuntington101
Dave have you ever seen this car??? http://www.mach2racing.com/

very nicely prepped RS200. with an aazing engine! they vent the BOV back into the exhaust manifold on overrun to act as an anti-lag. also they use a normal anti-lag system (retarding ignition timing)! you can onyl imagine what the two together are like! lol

from memory these gusy are running a 2.4 BDT Evo 2 engine with a custom turbos (deigned for altitude).

also their driver dosen't use O2! he thinks its for whimps! lol

Chris.
Yep o2 is for wimps...but you sure can feel light headed quick if you run around at the top. I have seen the car, but I beleive the year I saw it PPIHC used the short course, as snow had moved in over the top of the mountain. I was stuck at Devils Playground, and the race ended at Glen Cove, so they all looked like matchbox cars!

FWIW, Stig's car was registered earlier in the year to compete, but they had to pull out because of problems sourcing engine parts or something like that. We're in the same run group as Monster this year, so again, we'll get to see that thing up-close and personal.

Dave
Old Jun 27, 2008, 11:04 AM
Evolving Member

I have a manifold that will work with DSM flanged turbos. It is a manifold from a Buschur cast manifold turbo kit. I don't have a use for it now as I have went with a Peakboost HVS system.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

Dave,

Have you thought about a 50trim perhaps? Not quite as laggy as the 30R, but maybe not the drop off on the top end like a stock type turbo. Maybe that 54mm ETS sells?
Old Jun 27, 2008, 10:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evoPirate
Have you thought about a 50trim perhaps? Not quite as laggy as the 30R, but maybe not the drop off on the top end like a stock type turbo. Maybe that 54mm ETS sells?
The problem with any of options that aren't 'drop-in' is the cost. I'm planning on buying an easily swappable 30R (& 35R) kit to run on a high-compression stroker motor. The kit I'm leaning towards hasn't been released yet. We've been working quite a bit with AMS on our PPIHC build(rally brake kit, Ohlins rally suspension, diffs, intercooler, etc). The reason I'm looking for bolt-in turbos is that I don't want to spend the $$ twice on a big-turbo upgrade. Whatever I end up getting now (if anything), will need to eventually serve duty in my rally setup, which will have a 6k RPM effective redline, so instant spool is a must. I'm a picky SOB apparently.

I chatted with Robert from FP this afternoon (very knowledgable guy if you didn't already know ), and I think that the newly released FP White may be a good bet. It should be able to hold a bit more boost than the stocker, and hold it higher in the RPM band than the stocker and spool is going to be fast. He's got a few customers running cars in Colorado, so he's keenly aware of our needs up here.

I'll be sure to post up when I make a decision, both with the turbo choice, and the results.

Dave

Last edited by DaveK; Jun 27, 2008 at 10:26 PM.
Old Jun 28, 2008, 08:48 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveK
Whatever I end up getting now (if anything), will need to eventually serve duty in my rally setup, which will have a 6k RPM effective redline, so instant spool is a must.
So then you need an FP Green (or FP White).

At altitude, the engine is effectively smaller, so even an FP Green behaves like a larger turbo, but without the power of a larger turbo. For a Pike's Peak run, the deficit will be much greater than in Denver.

At altitude, heat dissipation is reduced, so the largest FMIC that can be fit in the chassis is advisable. Think about a good oil cooler as well. The factory radiator may be ok.

A stock block is not the best way to go. For racing 9000-14,000' ASL, I'd be thinking along the lines of an 12:1 SCR engine, running 100% alcohol. I would pay special attention to maximizing the quench area of the piston, and of course, alcohol will generate less heat than gasoline. An AMS 2.3RR shortblock fitted with the high SCR pistons would be a good direction.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 05:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DaveK
The problem with any of options that aren't 'drop-in' is the cost. I'm planning on buying an easily swappable 30R (& 35R) kit to run on a high-compression stroker motor. The kit I'm leaning towards hasn't been released yet. We've been working quite a bit with AMS on our PPIHC build(rally brake kit, Ohlins rally suspension, diffs, intercooler, etc). The reason I'm looking for bolt-in turbos is that I don't want to spend the $$ twice on a big-turbo upgrade. Whatever I end up getting now (if anything), will need to eventually serve duty in my rally setup, which will have a 6k RPM effective redline, so instant spool is a must. I'm a picky SOB apparently.

I chatted with Robert from FP this afternoon (very knowledgable guy if you didn't already know ), and I think that the newly released FP White may be a good bet. It should be able to hold a bit more boost than the stocker, and hold it higher in the RPM band than the stocker and spool is going to be fast. He's got a few customers running cars in Colorado, so he's keenly aware of our needs up here.

I'll be sure to post up when I make a decision, both with the turbo choice, and the results.

Dave
Dave what intercooler are you planning on running?? i hear its a real problem for the boosted cars. the air is soo thin up there that there is naff all cooling form normal intercooelrs!! might be worth thinking about when you select your turbo!! just thinking a bigger turbo will heat the air less!

also is there any reason why you dont want to go BIG?? if you are running a strocker and you will be using antilagand high comp, a GT40 might actually work well! also it will not have to boost drop off like the smaller units.

all im thinking is i have seeen Simon Norris (form Norris Designs) car with a GT42RS on there and it works GREAT for him even when he is thrashing it around verious tracks in the UK. there is NO lag and the responce looks increadably quick for such a big turbo! also RC developments have used these trubos in the time attack cars and they have proven to be VERY fast with little lag!

just thinking outside the box!

Chris.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 05:17 AM
Evolved Member

also Dave, have you had a look what the Ozies do?? they have a hill climb series like thePikes Peak and they run some pretty mena machinery.

think someone runs a Evo and there was one guy with a twin trubo flat 6 scooby (you dont see them everyday!!) lol

Cheers

Chris.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

also Dave, have you had a look what the Ozies do?? they have a hill climb series like thePikes Peak and they run some pretty mena machinery.

think someone runs a Evo and there was one guy with a twin trubo flat 6 scooby (you dont see them everyday!!) lol

Cheers

Chris.
Yep...and I'll get an up close and personal look at the ex Hawkeswood Evo. Its being run by Marty R. this year. For some reason its been put in Pikes Peak Open this year, but when Andrew H. ran it in 2005, it was an unlimited car. Either way, I'm glad its not in my class...no real chance for a 350whp full frame car going up against that 700hp ? tube frame monster!

In response to your previous post, we're running an AMS FMIC. Haven't seen any issues with overheating of the air, but after a run to the top, the IC is too hot to touch on the hot-side and fairly cool on the cold side. For PPIHC, I will be adding a water mister system which should make the IC act like its a bit bigger.

You guys are all spot on with the motor suggestions...and if you checked out our PPIHC build thread (link in my signature), our "ideal car" would have a 2.3 or 2.4 stroker, 10-12:1 compression and a 35R. I think the 42R would be just too laggy in the thin air, but hey, I might just try it if the 35R doesn't seem to big. Since the actual build costs on the car came out about $10k over budget, the motor and turbo were the easiest places to make cuts, so that's why we're on stock bits for the 2008 Race. In the end, running a lower powered car the first year will allow us to focus in on the suspension and handling instead of having to mess around with the ECU after each run.

Dave
Old Jul 1, 2008, 04:34 AM
Evolved Member

Dave its nice to see you are taking it easy on the power front! its very easy to shoot off and start making masses of power yet not beable to use it all thanks to a rubish setup. the fastest cars often have the BEST SETUP for the race! you can allways make a little bit more power, but gettting are car to turn better if often MUCH harder!

what do you run for brakes?? i have heard these can come under MASSIVE heat loads towards the top of the hill! they say alot finish with them not working and boiling fluid.....

Cheers

Chris.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

what do you run for brakes??
AMS Rally Brake Upgrade with the "B" compound pads, and stock brakes in the rear with Performance Friction 97 pads.

i have heard these can come under MASSIVE heat loads towards the top of the hill! they say alot finish with them not working and boiling fluid.....
Good to know. My car last year had a short ratio dog-box in it, and we blew up 5th gear in it two weeks before PPIHC, and didn't have time to source a new one, so our top speed was ~80mph. I was running marginal brakes at best, but had a fresh set of Porterfield R4s on the car, and didn't have a hint of brake fade all run. I'll have to be a bit more mindful of the issues this year, as this car has a much higher speed potential.

If you have other questions related to my PPIHC run, feel free to post them up in that thread so we don't confuse people who are looking for drop-in turbos. I should be making some updates to it in the next couple of days with some modifications I'm working on in the heat management department.

Dave
Old Jul 3, 2008, 04:27 AM
Evolved Member

Dave can you drop me a link to your other thread???

CHeers
Old Jul 3, 2008, 06:23 AM
Evolved Member

Dave can you drop me a link to your other thread???
Here you go:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=300029

Dave
p.s. link was also in my signature if you clicked on "Evo build up," and information from the group running the event can be found by clicking on the "PPIHC" link.