Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

mobil 1 for transmission oil?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2007, 09:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mobil 1 for transmission oil?

i've been using mobil 1 synthetic 75-90 for a long time. i've been getting 4th gear grinding a lot...ever since 2 years ago. (yeah i know, i now just bring it up) is this oil good for our trannies? i also use this in the transfer case and the rear diff. i have an 03 evo. with the rear diff, i also add in some lsd additive.

i know the 4th gear grinding is just my 4th synchro but could it be caused by the mobil oil? i've been searching and i really haven't seen anyone post that they use mobil 1 gear oil in their tranny on this site. im thinking about switching to BG.
i only have problems with my tranny...not the rear diff or transfer case.

well, is anyone using mobil 1 gear oil in their tranny? if its bad, please warn me.
Old Nov 27, 2007, 11:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
In a pinch, I might try that Mobil in the rear diff, however never in the tranny. Use the DiaQueen specified for the 6-spd. in your 5-spd. tranny.

Last edited by sparky; Nov 27, 2007 at 11:59 PM.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

hmmm. ok. because i live in MN. the tranny is really hard, i mean, really hard to get into gear when cold. i have to pull it into 2nd literally with almost all my strength.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 09:54 AM
Evolving Member

I would NOT use that in the transfer case at all!!!!! Only use Diaqueen, which is the factory fuild for the t-case.... I've talked with John Shepherd about using other fulids, and says that the other fuilds do not protect like the factory fluid. Any other fuild just is enough.....

I lost a transfer case because I didn't use Diaqueen
Old Nov 28, 2007, 10:13 AM

I use BG for the tranny and ONLY Diaqueen for the x-fer case and diff
Old Nov 28, 2007, 10:15 AM
Evolving Member

redline has always worked well for me.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 10:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've used both redline and mobil 1 in the transmission in my AWD talon and found both horribly notchy so I switched to BG. BG is much smoother, huge difference, however it may not stand up to hard usage. I've used it in my DSM for 150K+ miles with no issues but it's stock and not abused.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RedLanEVO
i've been using mobil 1 synthetic 75-90 for a long time. i've been getting 4th gear grinding a lot...ever since 2 years ago. (yeah i know, i now just bring it up) is this oil good for our trannies? i also use this in the transfer case and the rear diff. i have an 03 evo. with the rear diff, i also add in some lsd additive.

i know the 4th gear grinding is just my 4th synchro but could it be caused by the mobil oil? i've been searching and i really haven't seen anyone post that they use mobil 1 gear oil in their tranny on this site. im thinking about switching to BG.
i only have problems with my tranny...not the rear diff or transfer case.

well, is anyone using mobil 1 gear oil in their tranny? if its bad, please warn me.
Use the search function if you are looking for what fluids to use, this has been covered a number of times. To answer your question I would only use OEM fluids IMO, but many other will tell you differently. As far as in the tranny use the diaqueen. Search the fourms and decided on your own.... But alot of reputable tuners and people that know their ish will say the same thing^

Originally Posted by RedLanEVO
hmmm. ok. because i live in MN. the tranny is really hard, i mean, really hard to get into gear when cold. i have to pull it into 2nd literally with almost all my strength.
When this happens BE PATIENT, let you car warm up to operating temp. I live in South FL and it is hard to get into gear when it is cool out in the morning, this happend once or twice and my solution is I leave my house to get places a couple of minutes early when it hasn't been driven to make sure everything is up to temp. before I get going.

If you have to force it into gear even when the car is warmed up then there may be something wrong.......
Old Nov 28, 2007, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Just read this:

http://www.teamrip.com/oil%20recommendations.html

That is all you need to know.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Steve_P
I've used both redline and mobil 1 in the transmission in my AWD talon and found both horribly notchy so I switched to BG. BG is much smoother, huge difference, however it may not stand up to hard usage. I've used it in my DSM for 150K+ miles with no issues but it's stock and not abused.
Im not trying to flame you but your talking about your AWD Talon not an EVO dont confuse him and everyone else by putting that comment out there about what to put in your car. People can take it as if you were talking about an EVO by not reading the whole thread and mess up their car
Old Nov 28, 2007, 10:42 AM
Evolving Member

http://www.fastwrx.com/mo300gelu.html

How does that Motul 300 work? I just got some because I had read that it was great fluid for our trannies....hope that was right
Old Nov 28, 2007, 03:22 PM

motul is great.. thats what i use
Old Nov 28, 2007, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 06MRV8Killer
Use the search function if you are looking for what fluids to use, this has been covered a number of times. To answer your question I would only use OEM fluids IMO, but many other will tell you differently. As far as in the tranny use the diaqueen. Search the fourms and decided on your own.... But alot of reputable tuners and people that know their ish will say the same thing^

When this happens BE PATIENT, let you car warm up to operating temp. I live in South FL and it is hard to get into gear when it is cool out in the morning, this happend once or twice and my solution is I leave my house to get places a couple of minutes early when it hasn't been driven to make sure everything is up to temp. before I get going.

If you have to force it into gear even when the car is warmed up then there may be something wrong.......
well, i did use the search button...seems like no one has posted anything about mobil 1 gear oil though, well, havent found anything about the info and situation i needed. and plus, i haven't heard anything bad with mobil 1. im using mobil 1 engine oil, and oil filter, i thought might as well go all mobil 1 in the drivetrain too.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 06:59 PM
Evolving Member

Anyone else use Silkolene Syntrans?
Old Jan 16, 2008, 04:55 PM
Evolved Member

I just had a shep tranny and t-case put in, used redline shock proof in the t-case as shep suggested and mobil1 in the tranny. I used mobil1 in the tranny of all 4 of my other DSMs and it was great but in the evo after only driving 10 miles I don't like the feel,,, could be the new crisp tranny but redline is going in there asap!!

Quick Reply: mobil 1 for transmission oil?