Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Stay AWAY from Greddy turbo kits.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2007, 12:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't looked at my evo's turbo/exhaust yet (stock) but on my eclipse the stock exhaust had a hanger that mounted to the block's front side for supporting the turbo/exhaust. I never understood why exhaust designs yank this as I don't personally think it's a great idea to support the manifold, turbo, and exhaust by the manifold and its head studs. I'd be surprised if stock the EVO didn't have one of these brackets. If so, perhaps you should consider the manifold there wasn't designed to support the weight of the exhaust and you should should add this support bracket. Considering the break point this seems a likely possibility but I have no experience in any sort of mech-eng fracture analysis
Old Nov 29, 2007, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
am i the only one that thinks this is ok, the manifold lasted for 2.5 yrs after which it broke and greddy made good on the situation as best as they could by selling you another manifold at a discount, they didnt have to do that. seems like good customer service to me. as for the second one there must have been a defect in it and im sure they will replace it for you.
Old Nov 29, 2007, 12:31 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it's nice that Greddy is willing to throw parts at him but I'm sure he's getting tired of pulling that turbo.
Old Nov 29, 2007, 12:42 PM
Evolving Member

I've Had A Ebay Mani On My Car For 2.5, 3 Yrs And No Cracks
Old Nov 29, 2007, 12:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Evo IX
Just a guess but maybe something else is causing your trouble. Have you inspected your motor mounts, exhaust hangers, flex sections etc, turbo.. Something is causing the manifold to break.
As I mentioned in the start of my post, I had the first manifold and the Greddy kit on my car for 2-1/2 years with no issues. The only difference on the car is upgraded cams with cam gears and I doubt those would cause the manifold to crack twice in the same spot.
Old Nov 29, 2007, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mellon
it's nice that Greddy is willing to throw parts at him but I'm sure he's getting tired of pulling that turbo.
I agree, but s**t happens. if you dont want to work on the car then dont mod it
Old Nov 29, 2007, 12:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by justboosted02
am i the only one that thinks this is ok, the manifold lasted for 2.5 yrs after which it broke and greddy made good on the situation as best as they could by selling you another manifold at a discount, they didnt have to do that. seems like good customer service to me. as for the second one there must have been a defect in it and im sure they will replace it for you.
Like I said, the customer service is great, but I'm pretty sure you would be pissed if you paid $3700 for the kit, $1500 for the install, $940 for the replacement manifold, and $500 for the install of the replacement of the manifold. And I am not including the cost of car rentals in there. If you have that kind of money lying around please send it to my paypal account because I can certainly use it.
Old Nov 29, 2007, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cmbjive
As I mentioned in the start of my post, I had the first manifold and the Greddy kit on my car for 2-1/2 years with no issues. The only difference on the car is upgraded cams with cam gears and I doubt those would cause the manifold to crack twice in the same spot.
Are the pics of the first mani you had crack or the replacement you bought. I assume the replacement was brand new? And who charges 1500 for a turbo kit install???
Old Nov 29, 2007, 12:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TSiAWD666
I haven't looked at my evo's turbo/exhaust yet (stock) but on my eclipse the stock exhaust had a hanger that mounted to the block's front side for supporting the turbo/exhaust. I never understood why exhaust designs yank this as I don't personally think it's a great idea to support the manifold, turbo, and exhaust by the manifold and its head studs. I'd be surprised if stock the EVO didn't have one of these brackets. If so, perhaps you should consider the manifold there wasn't designed to support the weight of the exhaust and you should should add this support bracket. Considering the break point this seems a likely possibility but I have no experience in any sort of mech-eng fracture analysis
Actually, my mechanic said the same thing and you would think that a bracket would be included. That's okay, when I go back to my stock setup for the time being I won't have to worry about it.
Old Nov 29, 2007, 12:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by zbomb
Are the pics of the first mani you had crack or the replacement you bought. I assume the replacement was brand new? And who charges 1500 for a turbo kit install???
The pics are of the first manifold and the replacement was brand new. The $1500 install also included some other things in there, but it was mostly for the turbo install.
Old Nov 29, 2007, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

GOD DAMN!!! $500 FOR INSTAL OF A MANIFOLD!!!!! YOUR GETTING RIPPED OFF HARDCORE!

sh*t, I'll instal manifolds for a 6 pack and pizza
Old Nov 29, 2007, 01:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by justboosted02
GOD DAMN!!! $500 FOR INSTAL OF A MANIFOLD!!!!! YOUR GETTING RIPPED OFF HARDCORE!

sh*t, I'll instal manifolds for a 6 pack and pizza
Okay, I looked at my receipt and it said $380 for the install.

But I'll keep you in mind when I get my new manifold and need it installed.
Old Nov 29, 2007, 01:13 PM
Account Disabled

just make sure he starts on the 6 pack AFTER the install. It's no fun when you get done and you and your help are staring at each other asking, "did you tighten that before we put that on" *shrug*
Old Nov 29, 2007, 01:24 PM

Thats shocking you'd think an ebay mani would go out like that not greddy, tho.
Old Nov 29, 2007, 01:25 PM
Account Disabled

it's shocking to me that greddy has good support on their header. I remember trying to get help with a Greddy Profec e-01/e-manage setup years ago and they were useless.

Quick Reply: Stay AWAY from Greddy turbo kits.