Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Stay AWAY from Greddy turbo kits.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2007, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm dumping my Greddy gauges after my tune...

Cheers-
Erich
Old Nov 29, 2007, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cmbjive
As I mentioned in the start of my post, I had the first manifold and the Greddy kit on my car for 2-1/2 years with no issues. The only difference on the car is upgraded cams with cam gears and I doubt those would cause the manifold to crack twice in the same spot.
Exactly and that's why I had suggested checking other things that could be causing you manifold to break. 2 1/2 years no problems and then all of the sudden both break in the exact same place. Could be a coincidence... or maybe not. Possibly, you have a bad motor mount and your engine is moving enough to twist against the exhaust and break the manifold in the same place. I mean there are lots of things to check but at least check stuff that could be worn or broken.. eg motor mounts.
Old Nov 29, 2007, 01:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Evo IX
Exactly and that's why I had suggested checking other things that could be causing you manifold to break. 2 1/2 years no problems and then all of the sudden both break in the exact same place. Could be a coincidence... or maybe not. Possibly, you have a bad motor mount and your engine is moving enough to twist against the exhaust and break the manifold in the same place. I mean there are lots of things to check but at least check stuff that could be worn or broken.. eg motor mounts.
Do really high EGT and/or lean AFR cause things like this?? Just a thought since the OP changed his cams and cam timing via gears... Or even the cams threw off the tune so badly it ran lean?

Last edited by Wicked E; Nov 29, 2007 at 01:49 PM.
Old Nov 29, 2007, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

i've heard of cracking, but thats recockolous.....that thing is BROKEN!
Old Nov 29, 2007, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Mellon
just make sure he starts on the 6 pack AFTER the install. It's no fun when you get done and you and your help are staring at each other asking, "did you tighten that before we put that on" *shrug*
HAHA
Old Nov 29, 2007, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

i dont think thats bad 2 and half years but the new manifold to crack thats sux and they should give u a new one..
Old Nov 29, 2007, 02:18 PM
Evolving Member

Well, put some braces on the new manifold if they ever send you another one. And also you need to check your engine mounts and may be your exhaust system (see if it hit anything). Also, do you have a flex pipe on your exhaust?
Old Nov 29, 2007, 02:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Wicked E
Do really high EGT and/or lean AFR cause things like this?? Just a thought since the OP changed his cams and cam timing via gears... Or even the cams threw off the tune so badly it ran lean?
Yes, it's a 25G turbo.

I called my mechanic to be sure, and some of the gearheads here can confirm it, but changing out your cams and cam gears is not going to cause your manifold to break. What caused the manifold to crack is the stress put on it by the turbo. I could have bad motor mounts, but I find it hard to believe that some posters here who are putting out twice as much horsepower as me and they are not experiencing problems with cracked manifolds.

Just an aside, I also had the Ebay manifold on my car for about the same amount of time and never had a problem with it. If the FPGreen is setup to be a replacement, I might just buy that and go back to my Ebay manifold.

Last edited by cmbjive; Nov 29, 2007 at 02:41 PM.
Old Nov 29, 2007, 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

Before Kuba23's Pruven custom kit, he had this exact same thing happen. Greddy's manifold is sub par, sub standard and really makes me wonder what else in their line up is suspect.
Old Dec 1, 2007, 10:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by The Evolution X
The mani looks cheap im surprised i thought the metal would be thicker.
hella thing indeed...