Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Question for the LSD on EVO 9 MR

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2007, 12:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question for the LSD on EVO 9 MR

What kind of front LSD does it come with? Also are there any aftermarket front or rear LSD that people had success with for track use?
Old Dec 2, 2007, 01:32 AM
Evolved Member

I think it comes with a 1.5 way front and rear helical LSDs. Cusco make some aftermarket LSDs which use clutch packs. Quaife also makes LSDs as well as Tomei, Ralliart, and a few others I can't remember. There's not much of a point really change them until they break though.
Old Dec 2, 2007, 12:06 PM

I thought that the rear LSD was a mechanical...

Isn't it true that if I changed the front LSD to a quality mechanical LSD it would dramatically increase my traction coming out of corners?
Old Dec 2, 2007, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Front is Helical....rear is a 1.5 mechanical...
Old Dec 2, 2007, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is my source...

Old Dec 2, 2007, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GGP Wolf
What kind of front LSD does it come with? Also are there any aftermarket front or rear LSD that people had success with for track use?
Trust me you dont need aftermarket LSD until you are at a professional racing level..ie: AMS, Buschur, Speed Element, Evasive, ect. Thats like upgrading the brembos on a stock car. Money is better spent somewhere else like a built tranny if you are going to be hardcore racing.
Old Dec 2, 2007, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

My bad... So they are mechanical.
Old Dec 2, 2007, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by dbsears87
Trust me you dont need aftermarket LSD until you are at a professional racing level..ie: AMS, Buschur, Speed Element, Evasive, ect. Thats like upgrading the brembos on a stock car. Money is better spent somewhere else like a built tranny if you are going to be hardcore racing.
I would think changing out a helical LSD to a mechanical LSD is not equivalent to changing out the stock brembo's.
I say this because allot of the top tuners in Japan who run in the Tsukuba time attack do not change out the stock Brembo calipers because they find them to be a good match for the car.

Also I read on the Japanese Rally-art website, they asked one of their contracted rally drivers what would be the first thing he would mod on the stock EVO and he said front LSD with out any hesitation.
It just seems to me that even speaking of relative terms, in general that the majority of the US market doesn't have as strong of an interest about LSD's as the Japanese market does.

Last edited by GGP Wolf; Dec 2, 2007 at 04:45 PM.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 12:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well let me make sure I made my point clear. I meant changing the stock brembos is relatively pointless for 90% of the drivers in here...meaning they are plenty good enough. To counter argue myslef Tsukaba is a relatively short track so upgraded brakes aren't really useful. At that type of racing level if it was needed that car would ditch the brembos in a heart beat to gain 1/4 sec on a sub 1min track...on a lot of american tracks I bet they wouldn't run stock brakes with the longer straits and higher top speeds.

On the LSD just to clue in 95% of the drivers us the stock diff on the IX. Most the ralliart guys are changing the front lsd on non-acd cars or the 03-04 evos that didn't even come with one. The gentle point I was trying earlier which I guess didn't hit home was is if most of the current successful teams dont run aftermarket LSD's on the IX's why does this guy need one? That is not even close to a part that becomes a drawback on a competitive level. Tranny modification, engine reliabiliy, suspesion setup should be first in concern of upgrade.

Last edited by dbsears; Dec 5, 2007 at 07:38 PM.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 01:51 PM

I see your point about the breaks. But allot of the Tsukuuba cars like the Cyber Evo run almost the same setup on other more faster tracks in Japan for time attacks and I have never seen them swap out brake systems from track to track. I just used Tsukuba as an example because of their fame. Also I am only talking about calipers. Of course changing pads and fluid must have great benefits if chosen accordingly to the situation.

I speak Japanese and I grew up there and now I have been living in the states for about 10 years. That's why I was stating that it just seemed to me that allot of American's are not as into LSD's as allot of Japanese are. So thats just my personal opinion and I have not done any scientific study on the issue so of course I might be wrong.

By the way the Rally-art guy was talking about a EVO 9 .
Even to me who is in no way an expert on tuning cars can see the benefits of a properly selected quality front mechanical LSD over the stock helical LSD.

Last edited by GGP Wolf; Dec 5, 2007 at 02:50 PM.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 02:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GGP Wolf
I see your point about the breaks. But allot of the Tsukuuba cars like the Cyber Evo run almost the same setup on other more faster tracks in Japan for time attacks and I have never seen them swap out brake systems from track to track. I just used Tsukuba as an example because of their fame.

I speak Japanese and I grew up there and now I have been living in the states for about 10 years. That's why I was stating that it just seemed to me that allot of American's are not as into LSD's as allot of Japanese are. So thats just my personal opinion and I have not done any scientific study on the issue so of course I might be wrong.

By the way the Rally-art guy was talking about a EVO 9 .
Even to me who is in no way an expert on tuning cars can see the benefits of a properly selected quality front mechanical LSD over the stock helical LSD.
Read this:

Differentials: Why They Matter in Rally.
By Andrew Comrie-Picard for Inside Track
http://www.oldrallysport.on.ca/articles/diffs.html

Diffs are really important when you're racing on loose surfaces, and that's my guess why the Ralliart driver said he'd replace the front diff.

I RallyX my Evo, and the front helical LSD does indeed suck on the dirt. There's been times when one front tire loses grip and the car goes into massive understeer mode, the only way to recover is to back off or drag the brakes. A plated front diff would solve this problem.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by WheelGap
Diffs are really important when you're racing on loose surfaces, and that's my guess why the Ralliart driver said he'd replace the front diff.

In the interview the Rally-art guy was raging the Evo 9 in a parking lot in AutoX fashion.

Thx for giving more insight about the issue.

Now could someone tell me what type and brand front mechanical LSD works well with the US version Evo 9's?