Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Weird noise after Forge BOV?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2003 | 06:56 PM
NRG
Evolving Member

Weird noise after Forge BOV?

Ok, I have been driving my car with a RMR air filter and the FACTORY BOV. The car makes a pretty noticable WHOOSH. Then I ordered myself a Forge re-circulating BOV because I have heard issues with the FACTORY BOV leaking.

After I installed the FORGE BOV, I let the ECU reset by taking off the negative terminal for 20-30 mins. I then proceeded to do a test drive. The WHOOSH is little louder than the stock. When at full boost and I let go of the gas, its almost as if it whoosh twice really fast and it doesn't sound too great. Its like it is spitting out something clogged up. When not at full boost, the whoosh sounds just like the stock and no double whoosh...

Is this normal? What did you guys hear on yours?

Thanks....
Old Jul 17, 2003 | 07:15 PM
Account Disabled

I have read somewhere that the fluttering is because of the spring weight in the valve. Im not sure if this is good advice, but maybe if you got the valve spring kit from forge, this might fix yoru problem. However I havent got as far as you are with your car. Still breaking it in
Old Jul 17, 2003 | 09:11 PM
NRG
Evolving Member

After a days of driving today, I found another weird noise that the FACTORY BOV didn't have. If I boost and let go of the gas slightly, the BOV will make many little whooshes. If I let go of the gas the whole way, it will just make one big flutter whoosh...

Again, is this normal???
Old Jul 17, 2003 | 09:32 PM
Account Disabled

I wish I knew, I only boosted for a second. Damn I need to drive more to get this breakin period over with. F#%$#@
Old Jul 18, 2003 | 11:28 PM
Evolving Member

It depends on how "nicely" you let off the gas. If you are nursing the tranny and gently shifting gears, then the valve sounds great. If you are boosting then feather the gas pedal a bit, it will make more smaller whooshes depending on how many times the valve opens. If you are shifting quickly and just pulling your foot off the gas, the bov sounds like it is sneezing. Mine sounds the same way (buschur intake, forge recirc).
Old Jul 19, 2003 | 02:30 AM
NRG
Evolving Member

Hmmm, but I wonder why stock BOV didn't sound like that. Stock was like if I let go of the gas at full boost it gives a big one whoosh and if I let go of the gas less than full boost, it still makes that one whoosh but not as loud. I think that is normal......

On the other hand now that I am using the forge re-circulating BOV, it makes one little whoosh follow by one big whoosh at full boost.....WTF is up with that?
Old Jul 19, 2003 | 10:26 AM
Evolving Member

Ah, I never had my open intake on without the forge valve so I never heard the stock valve. I haven't tried positioning the valve the other way yet. Have you tried this?
Old Jul 19, 2003 | 11:14 AM
NRG
Evolving Member

Which way did you face it? I faced it where the little hose points sideways just like the stock......Did you face it upwards?
Old Jul 19, 2003 | 11:30 AM
In Timeout

Forget the whoosh valve and do a cat back or something. hehe people like the noise I guess. I think it is a 0 HP gain over stock and may not be the smartest thing to do. Kind of like people doing a intake and sucking in that hot air. Not only does the car run worse but it loses power. But then again what do I know.

Track *****
-Ryan
Old Jul 19, 2003 | 12:12 PM
NRG
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Ryanmcd2
Forget the whoosh valve and do a cat back or something. hehe people like the noise I guess. I think it is a 0 HP gain over stock and may not be the smartest thing to do. Kind of like people doing a intake and sucking in that hot air. Not only does the car run worse but it loses power. But then again what do I know.

Track *****
-Ryan
NONONO, you are not seeing the point of a BOV. It is not because of the sound (atleast not for me). And the point is not to have HP gain. It is simply there to reduce the lag of the turbo and to reduce leak. The stock BOV is plastic and is known to leak as some members already noticed.
Old Jul 19, 2003 | 12:18 PM

Take it apart and see which color spring it has in it. sounds to me like you're getting flutter. get the spring kit and put something a little softer in it. should fix it.
Old Jul 19, 2003 | 04:54 PM
NRG
Evolving Member

Yeah I've heard softer spring will do it but to my knowledge, softer spring won't hold boost as well.....
Old Jul 20, 2003 | 05:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by NRG
Yeah I've heard softer spring will do it but to my knowledge, softer spring won't hold boost as well.....
This is true, but if he was making enough boost he wouldn't be having the fluttering problem. The tuning kit from forge come with a couple different springs so that you can make it work for your specific application.

You need that tuning kit from Forge and change out the spring. I believe people are having success with the yellow one.
Old Jul 20, 2003 | 09:49 AM
Evolving Member

Crack the DV open and let us know what color spring you have in it. I had a fluttering problem also with an RMR Air filter kit and when I removed the blue spring that originally came with the DV and replaced it with a yellow spring from the tuning kit, the problem was resolved.
Old Jul 20, 2003 | 10:17 AM
NRG
Evolving Member

Since I didn't open it yet, I would assume mine is also blue spring. I guess I will have to get the kit to try it.......Oh and also, did you put any shims ? Or just the yellow spring???

Quick Reply: Weird noise after Forge BOV?