Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

What's the best Turbo Timer

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2003, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's the best Turbo Timer

I'm a proud new EVO 8 owner. I'd like to get a turbo timer asap. I've been looking at the HKS Type 1 timer...it seems to have a lot of cool features in addition to the timer itself. The Blitz DDT DCII seems like a good one too...and I know there are many others. I'm new at this, and I would love to get some opinions. I'd like to know ease of installation, quality of the product, and reliability.
Thanks everyone, and I'm happy to be a new member...
Old Jul 18, 2003, 06:12 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
Hi,

The best turbo timer is YOU. The use of synthetic oil, plus a little conservative driving for the last mile home works best. Additionally, if you pull off the highway after an hour run or so, then let the car cool down a couple of minutes. That is it and the turbo will last a very long time. The philosophy that a turbo timer is required is an urban legend carried over from early turbo designs and petroleum based oils.

Take the money you saved on a TT and put it towards a catback exhaust.

Speedlimit....
Old Jul 19, 2003, 12:10 AM

The first thing I bought for my Evo was the HKS Type 1 Turbo Timer. The install was very easy with the HKS harness and all the little extra features are a nice touch. The thing I like the most is the shift light. I'm sure you won't be dissapointed with it.
Old Jul 19, 2003, 12:30 AM
Evolved Member

i have the blitz dc2 and its awesome...its really small and can be mounted in more places than other turbo timers and best of all, it has a built in digital boost gauge
Old Jul 19, 2003, 11:41 AM
In Timeout

Originally posted by Speedlimit
Hi,

The best turbo timer is YOU. The use of synthetic oil, plus a little conservative driving for the last mile home works best. Additionally, if you pull off the highway after an hour run or so, then let the car cool down a couple of minutes. That is it and the turbo will last a very long time. The philosophy that a turbo timer is required is an urban legend carried over from early turbo designs and petroleum based oils.

Take the money you saved on a TT and put it towards a catback exhaust.

Speedlimit....

Time is money and I think $100.00 is WELL worth not having to sit in the car and let the turbo do it's thing.
Old Jul 19, 2003, 11:43 AM
In Timeout

I have the Greddy one and it works great, I have it set to 1:30 and it adds time on the way I drive. I think it was 100 or so and the gen 2 harness did not work so I had my stero person install it. 3 wires and it took about 15 min. Very easy install if you know what you are doing, if you DON'T have someone do it or risk blowing out the air bag!
Old Jul 19, 2003, 12:33 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally posted by Ryanmcd2

Time is money and I think $100.00 is WELL worth not having to sit in the car and let the turbo do it's thing.
One more time. You do not have to let the car cool down unless you just beat the crap out of it big time. Synthetic oil will not coke. (cook). It is your money. Have fun!

Speedlimit...
Old Jul 19, 2003, 08:10 PM
In Timeout

Originally posted by Speedlimit

One more time. You do not have to let the car cool down unless you just beat the crap out of it big time. Synthetic oil will not coke. (cook). It is your money. Have fun!

Speedlimit...

Wow, I did not know that. Thanks!
Old Jul 19, 2003, 08:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Ryanmcd2
I have the Greddy one and it works great, I have it set to 1:30 and it adds time on the way I drive. I think it was 100 or so and the gen 2 harness did not work so I had my stero person install it. 3 wires and it took about 15 min. Very easy install if you know what you are doing, if you DON'T have someone do it or risk blowing out the air bag!
I have the Greddy and used the 2G harness with no problems at all.
Old Jul 19, 2003, 09:32 PM

I heard that there are multiple types of harnesses for the Greddy TT that are supposed to fit 2g harness.
Old Jul 20, 2003, 09:12 AM

Can you use the TT to start your car, pull the key, and go back inside to let the car warm up??
Old Jul 20, 2003, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

you can...but the car has to turn off and then u have to turn it on again but the car is gonna stay warm
Old Jul 20, 2003, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

I have a HKS type 1 and its sweet

install isnt hard with the harness

it just takes a while
Old Jul 20, 2003, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

Blitz DCII is the best not only do you get a turbo timer but also Boost and lap times as well as auto modes and manual. And very easy to install and easy to hide if you so desire or mount without being too abtrusive