Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

new car's #'s

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2007, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I got my 05 evo it sounded like it had cams same as you. They were stock though. Leak could also add to that. Take off the valve cover and check. Just make sure you don't over torque the cover because it will crack very easy.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 08:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yea, graba walbro and a tune. My car made 289/289 on a mustang dyno. Pulls sooo hard now. Was this on a dynojet?
Old Dec 5, 2007, 07:20 AM
Evolving Member

I do not yet know how to place multiple quotes in the reply so I will reply this way :

The car was dyno'd on a Dyno Dynamics.

Ok I am going to take the advice and remove the valve cover gasket to see what's going on in there, I will have a mechanic friend of mine do it in his garage as I love working on the evo but am afraid of messing it up. ( i created a vacuum leak installing a boost gauge lol =) )
I think the walbro is a great idea! saftey from leaning out as weel as more power potential. I see more bOOst in my future. Is there a way I can tell that it does not already have one?

So its not uncommon for this evo to sound cammed, it crossed my mind considering the exhaust work..... we'll see

Yea dude I think the GSC s1's will match my setup as i do not plan on going any bigger then an FP green down the road. I have done a good bit of research and have found that GSC s1's will fulfill my HP and TQ goals as well as my power band goal. I will be fooling around in the local Auto X scene next season just for fun as I do not so much like drag racing. This car just feels engineered to turn fast and hard! i have had SOO much fun on all sorts of twistie's~

Also, I would like to add that this forum community is great. It makes me even more happy that I bought the AWD bOOst monster. Thank god I did not buy that rsx-s!!!!!!!
Go
Old Dec 5, 2007, 07:22 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RevMoto
When I got my 05 evo it sounded like it had cams same as you. They were stock though. Leak could also add to that. Take off the valve cover and check. Just make sure you don't over torque the cover because it will crack very easy.
What kind of leak do you think could make this loping? exhaust? boost? vacuum? Also is 1000 rpm a normal idle? It holds 1000 perfectly with no variations whatsoever.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 09:06 AM
Evolving Member

My air fuel ratio is way rich at 10.5 if I where to lean it out would there be significant power gains?
Old Dec 18, 2007, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The first thing I noticed was where peak torque happens.... holy fast spool!
Old Dec 18, 2007, 09:21 AM
Evolving Member

Yea man that boost comes on way fast and hits like a truck! stock 16G and them injen pipes may be helping with spool.... mechanic thinks there's a cam in there based on the way the inside looked. something about the cam bolts being loosened at one point I duno, there where no markings on them he said but eh may just have forgot to check thoroughly.

Jeff you think perhaps an after market cam would promote this peak tourque and spool so low? Or is this the normal with a stock evo 8 16G turbo?
Old Dec 18, 2007, 12:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by zbomb
Congrats on your car. If you are curious if your car's been tuned do the following:
Go to http://www.tactrix.com/product_info....520f99be159b5e And buy a tactrix cable.
It will allow you to download your maps from the ECU. Ecuflash is the free software to run it , available at http://www.openecu.org/index.php?title=EcuFlash . Start browsing the ecuflash forum here. There's tons of info on tuning,logging etc.
Definately get the cable... then you can start logging and learning to make small adjustments yourself when you feel comfortable. And with the logging, you'll know whats going on while you drive if you so please.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I doubt you have aftermarket cams.

You do however have a very darn fast spooling turbo. I imagine that is from the 9.8 hotside and stock cams. Either way that looks to spool faster than a mivec 9.
Old Dec 29, 2007, 01:59 PM
Evolving Member

i want 325 awhp im gona get some gsc s1's

I got an AEM wideband for christmas that im going to have installed. what is the optiomal airfuel ratio for WOT? My 10.5 is pig rich and the aem wont even read it on the lights so i think i would liek to lean it out and free up some power. what is the best a/f?

Last edited by incandescent; Dec 29, 2007 at 02:02 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2007, 02:07 PM
Evolving Member

super sequential BuMP
Old Dec 29, 2007, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by incandescent
super sequential BuMP
11.5 a/f would be ideal for a reliable yet great running car. and Dont buy SSQV if thats what your refering to up above....
Old Dec 29, 2007, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It's not a IX so it's going to be weak without tuning it for high boost on the VIII turbo, even with the 10.5 HS
Old Dec 29, 2007, 07:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If the correction factor is not tampered with, then this is like 300whp on a Dynojet, because DD's read much lower (~15%). The lope would indicate cams unless there is a problem in the boost system. The torque profile indicates such a problem, because the boost taper is not linear - there are humps, dips, and valleys that should not be there. Also, having way more peak torque than peak whp indicates that you're either running way more than 20psi or that you have a pretty bad boost leak. Combining all of the above factors leads to you needing to do the following:

1) First, do a boost leak test.
2) Fix all (yes, you probably have more than 1) leaks and re-check the peak boost level with a WOT run in 3rd
3) Get a full re-tune with the car in this state

See where you stand after that...don't be hasty with cams.
Old Dec 29, 2007, 07:45 PM
Evolving Member

^Finally someone mentions this was on a Dyno Dynamics and not a Dynojet. As mentioned above, DD's read much lower than dynojet (about a 15%-20% difference).

So those #'s seem right for an Evo 8 w/ the mods it has. And I believe you have cams.

On a dyno dynamics, my Evo put down 276whp. Mods are only tbe w/ test pipe, drop in filter, hks 264/264 cams, arp headstuds, fuel pump, mbc @ 21 psi, 9 bov, and a tune. With the same mods and on a dynojet, it put down 325whp.

Last edited by SixOneNine; Dec 29, 2007 at 07:53 PM.

Quick Reply: new car's #'s