Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

new car's #'s

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2007, 02:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new car's #'s

Hey.

Well a few months ago i bought a 2004 evo 8. I love it. I looked it over and notcied some mods and wanted to know what was goign on. I took the car in for a MBC and threw it on the dyno to set it and to see the numbers. this is what came out.

the mods that i can tell are the injen intake and uper intercooler pipe. full 3" turbo back exhaust with No cat. MBC at 20 psi.

It is very rich at 10.5, If i leaned it out would i see significant power gains?

The weird thing about this all is that the car lopes at idle and idles at 1,000 rpm. It sure does sound like it has cams and everyone, inlcuding the shop i brought it to sure thinks it has cams in it. Im confused why its not making more power. Could it just be that the air/fuel ratio is to rich?

Last edited by incandescent; May 5, 2008 at 08:21 AM.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 02:29 PM
Evolving Member

Did u get tuned ???
It sounds like to me u didnt get tuned and that are some low numbers for mods. . .
Old Dec 4, 2007, 02:35 PM
Evolving Member

No i did not get the car tuned, when i brought it in i thought it would have been tuned by the previous owner if it had cams because i heard the lope at idle. When i saw the numbers I new i needed to get it tuned. Did not have the cash at the time.Do you think the car would run properly cammed with no tune? I want to get GSC s1 cam's in the car. is there any way to tell if its cammed before tuning it?

Its also odd to me that have 295 lb/ft of torque but only 275 awhp.

Last edited by incandescent; Dec 4, 2007 at 03:01 PM.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 02:59 PM
Evolving Member

typical numbers. at least your motors healthy.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 03:11 PM
Evolving Member

there it is
Old Dec 4, 2007, 03:51 PM
Evolving Member

There AFR suggested that that car has been tuned, although the tune could still use some work.

If this DD dyno's correction factor has never been changed, I would say your #s are about right, especially the Tq #s. A retune may yield another 10whp or so.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 03:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by incandescent
Do you think the car would run properly cammed with no tune?
Short answer to this is NO. Co-worker of mine ran his with minimal mods like this - no cams. Just Intake and TBE without a tune and ended up blowing the head. I think a part of every mod should be a tune.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats on your car. If you are curious if your car's been tuned do the following:
Go to http://www.tactrix.com/product_info....520f99be159b5e And buy a tactrix cable.
It will allow you to download your maps from the ECU. Ecuflash is the free software to run it , available at http://www.openecu.org/index.php?title=EcuFlash . Start browsing the ecuflash forum here. There's tons of info on tuning,logging etc.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 04:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Box Rocket
Short answer to this is NO. Co-worker of mine ran his with minimal mods like this - no cams. Just Intake and TBE without a tune and ended up blowing the head. I think a part of every mod should be a tune.
+1000000 !!!!
Old Dec 4, 2007, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

get a tune. you wont regret it
Old Dec 4, 2007, 05:30 PM
Evolving Member

Thank you for the helpful responses!
Im really happy with the car, a great deal better then my 91 mazda millenia . I am going to go and get the GSC s1's before i retune the car from what I gather the car probably does not have cams and has been tuned?
However, it does lope at idle tho and now this is troubling me. I hope the engine is OK. It also idles at 1,000 rpm is this normal for an 8 with a cat-Less exhaust? I will post a sound clip tonight or tomorrow.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

Get a walbro 255 and a tune. You will see 300whp.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

Thank you for the helpful responses!
Im really happy with the car, a great deal better then my 91 mazda millenia . I am going to go and get the GSC s1's before i retune the car from what I gather the car probably does not have cams and has been tuned?
However, it does lope at idle tho and now this is troubling me. I hope the engine is OK. It also idles at 1,000 rpm is this normal for an 8 with a cat-Less exhaust? I will post a sound clip tonight or tomorrow.
before you buy a new set of cams, check the ones that are in the car. Most aftermarket cams will have some sort of maker identification marking on them. If that doesn't do the trick, the stock cams are hollow, all but Helix aftermarket cams are solid.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 06:53 PM
Evolving Member

hey dubbleugly01, would it not be making more power then 275 awhp if it where to have cams, even a mild setup such as 264 duration and say 10.2 lift something minimal? I'm no where near an expert on cams. any help?
What is the prime AFR?
Old Dec 4, 2007, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

hey dubbleugly01, would it not be making more power then 275 awhp if it where to have cams, even a mild setup such as 264 duration and say 10.2 lift something minimal? I'm no where near an expert on cams. any help?
What is the prime AFR?
it's really going to depend on if you're tuned or not. If you're not tuned, even with cams, the numbers are respectable. If it's tuned with cams, then you're down a bit on hp, but not torque. The valve cover comes off pretty easily. All you need need is a 10mm socket with a short extension, and that will take off the red colored valve cover that will expose the cams. The stock cams will have a couple "holes" in them along the shaft and you can see they're hollow. Aftermarket cams will not have these, but will usually be stamped with something like "GSC" or "HKS" or other.

By the way, GSC S1's are the perfect choice for your setup

Quick Reply: new car's #'s