Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

3" exahst flanges?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2007, 11:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3" exahst flanges?

OK, I have a Bucshar 3"TBE that the PO put the test pipe on.

After reading on here it looks like I want this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3-Sta...QQcmdZViewItem

I can TIG weld so where can I find the flanges I need to weld to this Vibrant so I can just bolt this up in place of the test pipe?
Old Dec 5, 2007, 12:43 AM
Account Disabled

why dont you just buy a cat that bolts up?
Old Dec 5, 2007, 11:42 PM

Such as ?
Old Dec 6, 2007, 06:59 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by adrynalinjunkie
Such as ?
https://secure.buschurracing.com/cat...040dce437ee6e9

$150.00, bolts right up no modification or welding required. Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 01:54 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
I can TIG weld so where can I find the flanges I need to weld to this Vibrant so I can just bolt this up in place of the test pipe?
I'd get another test pipe and just weld that converter into the middle of the pipe. That's what I did with my Buschur TBE w/Random Tech cat.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 01:48 AM

That is a great idea. I love a excuse to weld and I think that one above is the same crappy ceramic that came in my Bucshar 3" TBE kit?

What are other brands of good stainless super hi-flow cats that don't have ceramic?

Are Bucshar test pipes stainless?
Old Dec 7, 2007, 04:58 AM
EvoM Guru

Yes, the Buschur test pipes are stainless. What you want to get is a "metallic substrate" 3" cat. That one you posted above is metallic and Vibrant is pretty good quality (that's what AMS uses in their exhaust systems). There is also Random Tech (more expensive), Helix, and others. The best flowing cats have low cell counts, like the A'pexi ($$$$) and I believe there is also a cat sold by an autocrosser (Richard Jung I think) that is very high flow. I agree with staying away from the Buschur Catco core and other ceramic cats (sorry, Buschur, I like your stuff and have lots of it on my car but that cat gets the thumbs down), though be warned that higher flow means that you'll likely need a CEL fix.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 06:22 AM
Former Sponsor

Yes, our test pipes are stainless steel. Also, just as some fyi, the cat we use we have been using for years. The reason we use them was actually in a way stated earlier. We use them so that there are no problem with the cel codes and such. They still make good power, and that is after all what we are all looking for correct? Good power, reliability and no overall problems. I am sorry they do not meet some of your standards but, we use what we believe works the best.
Old Dec 10, 2007, 11:49 AM

Funny how guys with thousands of posts have such great info, I guess I will be ordering the vibrant above and another test pipe from Buschar

I have a o2 sim so the CEL is a non-issue. My honda buddy thinks I should just weld in a 40 series flowmaster were the test pipe is. He says it would make it much quieter than a cat and wouldn't restrict as much flow.

Since I live in a area with dumb cops and no emissions that is my ultimate goal here, quieter with the least amount of performance loss, all tree hugging aside.
Old Dec 10, 2007, 01:18 PM
EvoM Guru

Funny how guys with thousands of posts have such great info, I guess I will be ordering the vibrant above and another test pipe from Buschar

I have a o2 sim so the CEL is a non-issue. My honda buddy thinks I should just weld in a 40 series flowmaster were the test pipe is. He says it would make it much quieter than a cat and wouldn't restrict as much flow.

Since I live in a area with dumb cops and no emissions that is my ultimate goal here, quieter with the least amount of performance loss, all tree hugging aside.
I would avoid a chambered muffler like a Flowmaster and go with something with a "straight through" design. Flowmasters are really heavy, generally not stainless steel, and a number of people with different types of cars have found them to be restrictive in comparison to straight through designs like what you'll get from Vibrant, Borla, etc.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 05:30 PM
Evolving Member

adrynalinjunkie

Get this (see link)... if your not worried about having a CAT

It's sweet, and would be perfect instead of the Flowmaster. The company has great customer service also.

http://www.verociousmotorsports.com/...uiet-Resonator

Last edited by my-red-rs; Dec 14, 2007 at 04:15 AM.