Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

FMIC - If you don't need the xtra cooling

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2007, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 4 Wheel Slide
price doesnt always buy power... when you start testing parts and get some experience then youll understnad...

Everything until my new build have been parts looked down upon, cheap and off brand... But its well thoguht out and they work together well so i made good power

Spending the most possible doesnt mean the best, dont be ignorant
I agree with this fully.

A Tomei or Amuse 1k dollar catback will perform none better than a 3-500 dollar 3 inch decent designed one. Downpipe's as well as long as there is a flex section and smoothe transitions/true 3 inche piping.

There's places to skimp and places not to, wherever materials and labor combign you usually have issues, on cheap materials or simple parts you don't.

Scorke
Old Dec 10, 2007, 07:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
price doesnt always buy power... when you start testing parts and get some experience then youll understnad...

Everything until my new build have been parts looked down upon, cheap and off brand... But its well thoguht out and they work together well so i made good power

Spending the most possible doesnt mean the best, dont be ignorant
Nobody said that paying top dollar is the best way to go. I'm saying I won't walk around with fake Nike's on simply because thats embarassing. There are plenty of parts that are sold on ebay that are great, then theres 90% of the rest that are copys of copys of imitations.

Seeing as how you are a master "tester" of parts you should have realized that in order to get an accurate reading/result you have to make sure there is no variation in the product you test. Most of the people who sell on ebay get their products from different places.

That said, the intercooler you supposedly "tested" from Seller A isn't going to be the same as Seller B thus proving you to be an idiot.
Old Dec 10, 2007, 08:55 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tvieira24
Nobody said that paying top dollar is the best way to go. I'm saying I won't walk around with fake Nike's on simply because thats embarassing. There are plenty of parts that are sold on ebay that are great, then theres 90% of the rest that are copys of copys of imitations.

Seeing as how you are a master "tester" of parts you should have realized that in order to get an accurate reading/result you have to make sure there is no variation in the product you test. Most of the people who sell on ebay get their products from different places.

That said, the intercooler you supposedly "tested" from Seller A isn't going to be the same as Seller B thus proving you to be an idiot.

oh you mean...... www.xs-power.com thus proving you to be an idiot

btw i recommend dynoflash for the best results for a tune ... Good luck
Old Dec 10, 2007, 09:01 PM
Evolved Member

oh you mean...... www.xs-power.com thus proving you to be an idiot

btw i recommend dynoflash for the best results for a tune ... Good luck
now we know not to read anything you type.

Scorke
Old Dec 10, 2007, 10:08 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by scorke
now we know not to read anything you type.

Scorke

lol I would send you to 2nd best Ivey

Dynoflash ftw =-p
Old Dec 11, 2007, 05:48 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lol I would send you to 2nd best Ivey

Dynoflash ftw =-p
If you look at ssauto's record of selling their o2 housings you would notice that the version they used to sell is no longer the same version they currently sell. Megan racing has switched manufacturers as well.

Seeings as how xs-power and ssautochrome are the same company, just because the intercooler you tested has "proven 25 AWHP" increases doesn't mean it's the same intercooler someone would buy today.

I'm sick of beating a dead horse, plus Al sucks.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

u need cams before anything else. . .i didn't seem them listed. . .well, maybe not, you have a 9. . .
Old Dec 11, 2007, 08:26 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by tvieira24
If you look at ssauto's record of selling their o2 housings you would notice that the version they used to sell is no longer the same version they currently sell. Megan racing has switched manufacturers as well.

Seeings as how xs-power and ssautochrome are the same company, just because the intercooler you tested has "proven 25 AWHP" increases doesn't mean it's the same intercooler someone would buy today.

I'm sick of beating a dead horse, plus Al sucks.

Theyre the same, I'm a fan and i reccomend them. At the end of the day its just a reccomendation, theyre all very very very similar as far as performance.

I was kidding about the Al comment..... Thats a given
Old Dec 11, 2007, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the replies. It is obvious that without chemical intercooling a quality FMIC is a good upgrade but on a meth injected car the positives do not outweight the negatives mentioned in the first post.

Last night I spent alot of time on Grand National sites and most of those guys don't even use FMICs! They rely solely on water/achy/meth.

Bottom line is that I would be out $600, I would add 25LBS to the car, and it would take longer for the turbo to fill a bigger IC so there would be some additional lag.

The money is probably better spent on regearing the tranny.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 05:56 PM
Evolved Member

Didn't David just explain to you how the temps would change. An ebay core might now perform as well as one that is worth $700 but on a normal bolt on car it doesn't seem worth it. I run the ebay on my own car and felt a nice gain. I got mine for $127 shipped. I sold my stock core for $100. So for $27 I gained 17awhp on the DLL. That is $1.59 per horsepower. Seems like a great mod to me. Yes David we know you hate the ebay core because it has taken away many possible sales but that is normal in a competitive market. Just keep doing what you are doing. We know you make quality parts but for the people who can't afford all of those then they have another route. Not only the temp that helps but the added flow on the larger cores will increase power. Which is what he needs at the amount of boost.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 05:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
David did say the temps would drop but that was never a question of mine. The question was if the gain would be worth the cost. I highly doubt it will make much of a difference. My intake manifold is already ice cold from the meth so lowering the intake charge a few degrees isn't going to provide noticable returns. For intercooling I could always toss in some distilled water along with the meth. Chemical intercooling is far superior to the front mount.

If he would have said the stock FMIC is a huge bottle neck. Then I would consider an upgrade.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
revmoto wrote:

"Yes David we know you hate the ebay core because it has taken away many possible sales but that is normal in a competitive market. Just keep doing what you are doing. We know you make quality parts but for the people who can't afford all of those then they have another route. "

My reply: That is not the case. I don't particularly HATE the core. Guys who do not have the money for the best parts, don't care about making the most power, setting records or who just don't like me, are not going to buy from us anyway. If it wasn't Ebay it would be some other part that didn't work the best but was cheap. It has nothing to do with Ebay. My problem is I can't see anyone buying a part that isn't the best. I see so few Ebay intercoolers here that I don't think they are hurting me, actually I know they aren't hurting me. People who want the best will buy it, people who want the cheapest will buy that. So someone looking for the lowest price is probably not going to shop with us anyway. Now, someone who wants to make 500+ whp on pump gas is going to shop with us and they are going to buy the best.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
revmoto wrote:

"Yes David we know you hate the ebay core because it has taken away many possible sales but that is normal in a competitive market. Just keep doing what you are doing. We know you make quality parts but for the people who can't afford all of those then they have another route. "

My reply: That is not the case. I don't particularly HATE the core. Guys who do not have the money for the best parts, don't care about making the most power, setting records or who just don't like me, are not going to buy from us anyway. If it wasn't Ebay it would be some other part that didn't work the best but was cheap. It has nothing to do with Ebay. My problem is I can't see anyone buying a part that isn't the best. I see so few Ebay intercoolers here that I don't think they are hurting me, actually I know they aren't hurting me. People who want the best will buy it, people who want the cheapest will buy that. So someone looking for the lowest price is probably not going to shop with us anyway. Now, someone who wants to make 500+ whp on pump gas is going to shop with us and they are going to buy the best.
I am going to disagree with you on that. I myself have bought parts from you and will soon be buying more. I am not made of money. I am just a college student and need to make the most with what I have. Yours might squeeze 5hp more and wont heatsoak as fast on a racetrack but for a normal bolt on car it doesn't seem worth it it pay $759 for a slightly better gain. It is not the best performing one but for $27 it cost me after selling my stocker it performs great. It is also proven and has outperformed others which cost 6 times the price. A lot of hate goes to the EBAY core because it is a less quality imported product. In reality if we all had the money to buy teh best we would be driving exotics. That doesn't mean I do not put the best parts on my car. Look at my sig. My other evo had almost all of your parts. I want to say 40% of this community who has upgraded to a different core is running the ebay. It is the best choice for a normal bolt on car who are on a budget. I will upgrade mine to your race when you release the HTA3065.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 06:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVIL_EV0
David did say the temps would drop but that was never a question of mine. The question was if the gain would be worth the cost. I highly doubt it will make much of a difference. My intake manifold is already ice cold from the meth so lowering the intake charge a few degrees isn't going to provide noticable returns. For intercooling I could always toss in some distilled water along with the meth. Chemical intercooling is far superior to the front mount.

If he would have said the stock FMIC is a huge bottle neck. Then I would consider an upgrade.
The gain and cost varies between which intercooler you get. Not to be a dick David and I am sure you are going to correct me on the numbers.

Ebay core: 17awhp gain(my gains) which is $127 shipped= $1.58 per hp
Buschur Race: 25awhp(guestimating) which is $759 plus shipping so $800(guessing)= $32 per hp

Is your car just a DD or drag. Do you track it? The added flow of a new core will gain on top of the ability to tune even more aggressive. I don't see why you wouldn't.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 06:48 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by RevMoto
I am going to disagree with you on that. I myself have bought parts from you and will soon be buying more. I am not made of money. I am just a college student and need to make the most with what I have. Yours might squeeze 5hp more and wont heatsoak as fast on a racetrack but for a normal bolt on car it doesn't seem worth it it pay $759 for a slightly better gain. It is not the best performing one but for $27 it cost me after selling my stocker it performs great. It is also proven and has outperformed others which cost 6 times the price. A lot of hate goes to the EBAY core because it is a less quality imported product. In reality if we all had the money to buy teh best we would be driving exotics. That doesn't mean I do not put the best parts on my car. Look at my sig. My other evo had almost all of your parts. I want to say 40% of this community who has upgraded to a different core is running the ebay. It is the best choice for a normal bolt on car who are on a budget. I will upgrade mine to your race when you release the HTA3065.

+1 I need a buschur race now.... Ebay isnt cutting it anymore

Quick Reply: FMIC - If you don't need the xtra cooling