Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

2.4L 67mm - Ignition troubles galore!!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2007, 06:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2.4L 67mm - Ignition troubles galore!!

Hey guys, im sooo frustrated. I have been running a hks dli2 and it finally took a dump on me. I had zero problems with this setup but figured instead of buying a new one I would just do my own COP setup.

I already had an aem c2di that i bought about a year ago and never used. So i bought the 300m coils and got a mounting plate. I got it all wired and it it fired right up. I have an aem ems and have the dwell settings set for all cdi systems.

The thing is nearly undrivable at low loads. Is mis-fires so bad that the car starts to buck. I have tried all the different settings for the dip switches on the cdi. Anytime the car is accelerating with vacuum it breaks up. It runs better than ever at full throttle, high boost, meth though!!

This is my daily driver so I cant really drive it like that. I read up about using a dsm ignitor in place of the aem unit and using the viper dwell settings. Well thats how I have it setup now and It still misses at low load and now misfires on high boost, meth. Its basically worse than stock coils because of the low load misfire. It acts the same as my stock coils on high boost.

Im really stuck and dont have a lot of cash to be throwing at this. I would like to get a m&w ignition box to hook up to it but dont know if that will solve my problems and its a lot of money.

Im making about 580whp and need something good. Should I try the okada coils? I have mixed feeling about those because of the ttp thread.

Could it be a bad coil? I wouldnt think so since it runs fine at high loads. How could I test the coils?

I have rewired this thing twice now and i want the third time to be a charm!! Please any help would be greatful.

--Josh
Old Dec 10, 2007, 06:08 PM
Evolved Member

The AEM setup always seems to crap out. There was a post about it a long time ago. He had the same problem. But then he bought a M&W box did the rewiring
haven't heard from him since.

I would check into it do a quick search about the aem unit here on evom. I would just say dont waste your time and just get a M&W box
Old Dec 10, 2007, 06:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jmartinez1170
The AEM setup always seems to crap out. There was a post about it a long time ago. He had the same problem. But then he bought a M&W box did the rewiring
haven't heard from him since.

I would check into it do a quick search about the aem unit here on evom. I would just say dont waste your time and just get a M&W box
Im just so afraid of spending all that money for the m&w and it do the same thing.

Are there any aem cdi users that had the same problem and then switched to the m&w and cured all ignition problems?

There is only 3 dealers in the us and buschur wont sell them unless you buy it with their cop kit. Any recommendations on a m&w vendor?
Old Dec 10, 2007, 06:17 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
after issues with my DLI i bought the buschur COP and never had an issue..
Old Dec 10, 2007, 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There were some threads awhile back about this I remember reading through them.

Basically the summary was:

- COP short burst strong spark
- Normal iginition long spark but kinda weak

The long spark thing takes care of bad fuel setups where the fuel isn't properly being atomized. Also during my reading I came across notes saying that if the system reacts poorly to lean conditions.

Sounds like your idling ok maybe adding a hint of fuel in the low load conditions will cure it? *shrugs* alas I'm no expert
Old Dec 10, 2007, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by USP Motorsports

And the BR COP system uses M&W box. Same one they sell on ebay for a few hunder less as well.
Old Dec 10, 2007, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

i never had issues with my twin dli.
Old Dec 10, 2007, 07:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by USP Motorsports
Are you using an aem ems? If so did you tune it for o2 feedback? Im not using the o2 feedback.

Originally Posted by RoadSpike
There were some threads awhile back about this I remember reading through them.

Basically the summary was:

- COP short burst strong spark
- Normal iginition long spark but kinda weak

The long spark thing takes care of bad fuel setups where the fuel isn't properly being atomized. Also during my reading I came across notes saying that if the system reacts poorly to lean conditions.

Sounds like your idling ok maybe adding a hint of fuel in the low load conditions will cure it? *shrugs* alas I'm no expert
Whats weird is my a/f ratio can be like 14.5-15 and it still misses. My idle is perfect though.

Thanks for some insight fellas!!

Does anyone know where to get the m&w box only? No one wants to sell them seperate from cop kits.

--Josh
Old Dec 11, 2007, 12:41 AM

SwiftEVO what injectors are you running?
Old Dec 11, 2007, 06:30 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gtpumps
SwiftEVO what injectors are you running?
Im running Precision 1000's.

--Josh
Old Dec 11, 2007, 06:33 AM
Evolved Member

from all my reading on here as well...
i'd say Buschur COP w/cdi would be the last of your ignition troubles.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 06:36 AM
Evolving Member

The M&W is awesome. I had a lot of problem with the MSD boxes, change to M&W and problem solved. You should try it!!
Old Dec 11, 2007, 07:09 AM
Evolved Member

Location: Work - New York, Alaska, Mexico or the Caribbean. -Home - Tx Hill Country
Josh,
The problem with the DLI is usually the harness. It's easy to check, just swap harnesses with a friend. It's also not much money. You should be able to get a harness for about $130. It probably isn't the "best" solution, but it's easy to check and cheap to fix.

Good luck,
Robert
Old Dec 11, 2007, 07:11 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by robertrinaustin
Josh,
The problem with the DLI is usually the harness. It's easy to check, just swap harnesses with a friend. It's also not much money. You should be able to get a harness for about $130. It probably isn't the "best" solution, but it's easy to check and cheap to fix.

Good luck,
Robert
Who sells just the harness?
Old Dec 11, 2007, 07:17 AM
Evolved Member

Location: Work - New York, Alaska, Mexico or the Caribbean. -Home - Tx Hill Country
Originally Posted by SwiftEVO
Who sells just the harness?
Check with any vendor that carries HKS. They can order just the harness.

Quick Reply: 2.4L 67mm - Ignition troubles galore!!