Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

EVO head noises after really cold start.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2007, 06:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question EVO head noises after really cold start.

HELP! after I drive my car about 480 miles back home, with the car running great. I had parked it for the night and it got down to around 5-10 degrees that night and the next morning when I started the car I had a loud ticking that I have never heard on the car before. I haven't had a chance to pull the valve cover off yet. And the car is not running well at all, still driveable but is running rich. I think it might be a valve that locked up in the head and the cam might have bent it. Anyone ever heard of this before?
Old Dec 11, 2007, 06:21 AM
Evolved Member

do you have a wideband? I mean, how do you know it's running rich? Our lifters are known to make a lot of noise at times. Does the tick go away with higher revs or get worse? Hopefully it's just lifter tick, that would be a lot cheaper issue to correct!
Old Dec 11, 2007, 06:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like the lifters from the loud ticking. Is the car not running good when its not at full op temp? Cuz my car ran like @ss until it was fully warmed up.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 06:57 AM
Evolved Member

Sounds pretty normal.
Old Dec 25, 2007, 10:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
my car ticks loudly from the passenger side of the motor when its cold. the tick slows down or goes away once warmed up. after I get out and lay into the throttle a for a few it seems to go away. I guess it likes oil pressure. I dont know. I am going to be doing cams soon so I will be inspecting things then.