Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Tre Rear Differential Upgrade Service

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2008, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excellent to hear, guys. I am sure you are making Mr. Ripple proud. People need to do this mod before dumping money on suspension and stuff. Seems like it will help so much more....
Old May 1, 2008, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

^ I dunno, man. The stock KYBs on my '03 are pretty bad - effing pogostick on wheels. I can't wait to get my hands on a set of Bilstein HD's. You MR guys don't know how good you have it (front LSD and Bilsteins ... stock ... sheesh!).

l8r)
Old May 1, 2008, 12:50 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jazzie604
EJ and Ludi: just to clarify, are you guys on stock center diffs or have those been upgraded as well? I just want to make sure I dont need a new center as well before I install the rear diff.

To the collective: would using the 1.5 or 2 way diff be good to also induce rotation on corner entry? Or would this be too much upsetting of the car and be less effective than setting up early for the turn or using trail braking?

1.5 at most...
Old May 1, 2008, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ludikraut
^ I dunno, man. The stock KYBs on my '03 are pretty bad - effing pogostick on wheels. I can't wait to get my hands on a set of Bilstein HD's. You MR guys don't know how good you have it (front LSD and Bilsteins ... stock ... sheesh!).

l8r)

I have an 04 Evo VIII. Ludi. Old name when I had MR, it was too nice to do what I am doing to the Ebo - guttin it like a fish!
Old May 1, 2008, 08:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Zeus
1.5 at most...
cool, but would it actually be beneficial? point of reference: Ive only autoxed so far, our average course is 30-45 seconds and stays mostly in second gear, rarely going to 3rd.
Old May 2, 2008, 07:40 PM
Evolved Member

Hi Guys,

Gonna be using the diff tomorrow in an SCCA National Race. Unfortunately I did not break the diff in as much as I would have liked. It still makes a lot of noise and gets me some funny looks

One problem which will be interesting is that I am unable to get any "real" rear camber after I upgraded my shocks and springs, so the rear camber is way low. I hope this doesn't affect stuff too much, I will keep you guys posted, I am pretty excited about the diff.
Old May 2, 2008, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Tsurara
Hi Guys,

Gonna be using the diff tomorrow in an SCCA National Race.
Best of luck

Any pics of the cage built by Phoenix??
Old May 2, 2008, 09:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi Guys,

Gonna be using the diff tomorrow in an SCCA National Race. Unfortunately I did not break the diff in as much as I would have liked. It still makes a lot of noise and gets me some funny looks

One problem which will be interesting is that I am unable to get any "real" rear camber after I upgraded my shocks and springs, so the rear camber is way low. I hope this doesn't affect stuff too much, I will keep you guys posted, I am pretty excited about the diff.

Good luck Charles, the rear diff is noisy in slow turns on throttle like in a parking lot, no biggie. Im not sure why you cant get enough camber in the rear though, Im at -1.4 in the rear.

Marty
Old May 5, 2008, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

Hey guys, laptimes dont lie, I was almost 6 seconds faster than last year with the rear diff upgrade and some other suspension work. Color me impressed.

Marty: I don't think my suspension settled enough, checked my camber after the race and it was WAY high up. I might need to replace the rear bolts.

Last edited by Tsurara; May 5, 2008 at 09:52 AM.
Old May 5, 2008, 10:52 AM

Hey guys, laptimes dont lie, I was almost 6 seconds faster than last year with the rear diff upgrade and some other suspension work. Color me impressed.

Marty: I don't think my suspension settled enough, checked my camber after the race and it was WAY high up. I might need to replace the rear bolts.
So a 1:24 chicane/chicane?
Old May 5, 2008, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by eastcoastbumps
So a 1:24 chicane/chicane?
I can't win with you guys.
Old May 5, 2008, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

How loud is it? Does anyone have a sound clip - just curious!
Old May 5, 2008, 01:37 PM
Evolving Member

Hi Guys,

Tsurara,

It should quite down but I'd expect them to make a little more noise being that there working real good.

Do you have the solid rear differential bushings?
Old May 5, 2008, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GEARS
Tsurara,

It should quite down but I'd expect them to make a little more noise being that there working real good.

Do you have the solid rear differential bushings?
Hi Jon, They actually quieted down a LOT after the race and a fluid change, I just didn't get to break them in well enough. I do not have solid bushings as they are illegal for SCCA. Otherwise I am in love with the upgrade... car actually oversteers now!
Old May 5, 2008, 02:23 PM
Evolving Member

AWESOME

I knew it would quite down after the new friction plates bedded in together.

Pretty crazy how your EVO can be driven now isn't it?

Quick Reply: Tre Rear Differential Upgrade Service