Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Tre Rear Differential Upgrade Service

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2008, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by griceiv
talk about doing something the hard way. I removed the rear shocks and lower lateral link to push the suspension out far enough to pop the axles out of the diff housing. The end.

It did take two people to do that. and a couple zip ties to hold the axles up while the diff was out.
Yeah, that's what we did. Once I started typing it I started second guessing myself and thought maybe I was wrong.

Much easier that way!
Old Jun 25, 2008, 02:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Turn around times

Still getting them turned around within 2 days
Old Jun 25, 2008, 05:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GEARS

I think it might be beneficial for your sales if you introduced a "core" charge, to be refunded when you receive a diff in from a customer.

It would help for downtime for many people.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

stop lying jon.. you turned mine around in ONE day....

putting on the DIFF today! filling with DIAQUEEN.

then we are tuning the car tomorrow .. then off to MILLER for some FUN!

n

btw - about the break in procedure of this thing... well... first couple of hundred miles are gonna be real HARD On it.. hope that doesnt screw it up.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 07:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nils
btw - about the break in procedure of this thing... well... first couple of hundred miles are gonna be real HARD On it.. hope that doesnt screw it up.
LOL - tell us how it goes. Mine's goin' to GEARS w/in a month for a 1.5...
Old Jun 25, 2008, 08:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by nils
. . .

I will let Jon chime in if I am mistaken, but if the gears themselves are not brand new, then you don't really need to worry about break in other than the fact that the performance will change a little as it wears in . . .

Now, if the gears are new or recut, then you want a nice easy break in so the gear faces can "polish" themselves and anneal and work harden . . .
Old Jun 25, 2008, 08:18 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by KazzEvo8
LOL - tell us how it goes. Mine's goin' to GEARS w/in a month for a 1.5...
How did you settle on a 1.5-way? How are you using the car?
Old Jun 25, 2008, 08:23 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
n/m

Last edited by EVO8LTW; Jul 7, 2008 at 01:49 PM.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 07:14 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
I will let Jon chime in if I am mistaken, but if the gears themselves are not brand new, then you don't really need to worry about break in other than the fact that the performance will change a little as it wears in . . .

Now, if the gears are new or recut, then you want a nice easy break in so the gear faces can "polish" themselves and anneal and work harden . . .

The actual ring & pinion gears are not replaced. This service is not replacing the gears, it's only for the differential upgrade service as listed.

However the ring & pinion gears are checked for signs of wear and inspected for cracks via our magnaflux machine. I do clean up the edge of the gear teeth with a chamfer as this reduces noise and improves oiling of the teeth by reducing the squeegee effect as the teeth come into mesh. The ring gear is carefully shot peened, focusing on the root of the teeth and not on the face of the teeth.... it's done right

There is little need for taking it easy on this upgrade other than to get yourself used to how the car behaves. You will want to take it easy until you have explored your EVOs new personality and get the hang of driving an EVO that no longer pushes with understeer when you have the throttle mashed.

Enjoy and thanks for the space
Old Jun 26, 2008, 07:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Matt2.8NJ
I think it might be beneficial for your sales if you introduced a "core" charge, to be refunded when you receive a diff in from a customer.

It would help for downtime for many people.

I will be offering the EXCHANGE SERVICE for the rear diff next month. Keep an eye out for it. This service will consist of the whole rear differential assembly being exchanged.

I will not be offering just the differential as a customer installed unit for these reasons:

1. I want to do it.

2. The carrier bearings would need to be replaced and this requires readjusting the carrier bearing preload and the depth of the ring gear in relation to the pinion. This would require the end user to have the proper tools and knowledge of how to do this task properly or you risk destroying the ring & pinion gears faster than you can F&*# up a transfer case...

3. The clean-up work on the ring & pinion and shot peening of the gearing is worth every penny. Do a google search for shot peening and you'll know why.

Again, I want to do it and will be offering an exchange next month.

Jon
Old Jun 26, 2008, 01:02 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Hmmmmmm I have an extra rear assembly collecting dust in the attic right now...
Old Jun 26, 2008, 05:45 PM
Evolving Member

I will be offering the EXCHANGE SERVICE for the rear diff next month. Keep an eye out for it. This service will consist of the whole rear differential assembly being exchanged.
Jon

Thanks for responding to my request. I know, for me, it would make the difference between a purchase and skipping it.

-MD
Old Jun 26, 2008, 09:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Matt2.8NJ
Thanks for responding to my request. I know, for me, it would make the difference between a purchase and skipping it.

-MD

I understand but it's worth getting.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 10:11 PM
Evolving Member

+1

Jon got my diff turned around in less than two days

Still sorting out the engine rebuild, but just driving in full lock circles you can feel the difference. I cant wait to have the engine and ECU sorted out

Once the car is drivable and broken in I will post a review
Duncan

Last edited by kduncan01; Jun 30, 2008 at 10:15 PM.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 08:12 AM
Evolving Member

I'll be doing this mod too, as my car is nearly spot-on now, other than the mid-corner, exit push.

Also, my car seems to be an anomoly compared to most other's experiences, as it never lifts the inside rear, only the inside front. It's much better w/ the KWs & lowered ride-height, but it's still there. Think I'm gonna have to live w/ it...

BTW, stock bars fr & rr.

Quick Reply: Tre Rear Differential Upgrade Service