Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Tre Rear Differential Upgrade Service

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2008, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chmodlf
For the DIY guys, the bushings are a pain to press out. I was able to press out all but one (long story). Bottom line, get a decent press. It is possible to torch them out but it is a smokey and messy process.
Actually the rear diff bushings are all quite easy to cut out. You basically slide a hacksaw blade (or coping saw if you prefer) through the bushing, then reconnect to the saw handle. Then cut through the outer bushing sleeve. Once you have cut the outer sleeve it is VERY easy to hammer out the old bushing with a screwdriver and hammer. The poly replacements are typically 2 pcs and are pressed in from the outside. You'll need a vice at best.
Old Oct 16, 2008, 07:18 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by kekek
Actually the rear diff bushings are all quite easy to cut out. You basically slide a hacksaw blade (or coping saw if you prefer) through the bushing, then reconnect to the saw handle. Then cut through the outer bushing sleeve. Once you have cut the outer sleeve it is VERY easy to hammer out the old bushing with a screwdriver and hammer. The poly replacements are typically 2 pcs and are pressed in from the outside. You'll need a vice at best.
Yeah...I followed kekek's advice on this (via PM) and it was very easy to do. No vice even required. I just used a rubber mallet and some blocks of wood to cushion things. I used this technique on the the diff bushings, the mustache bar bushings, and the front engine mount as well.
Old Oct 17, 2008, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kekek

Didn't think of this approach. Good idea.
If you can't get access to a press this sounds like the way to go. I was referring to bushings other than just the diff ones (lateral arms, mustache bar, etc.).

For those who want to do a lot of bushings Harbor Freight has some pretty cheap presses.

Last edited by chmodlf; Oct 17, 2008 at 08:16 AM.
Old Oct 17, 2008, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chmodlf
Didn't think of this approach. Good idea.
If you can't get access to a press this sounds like the way to go. I was referring to bushings other than just the diff ones (lateral arms, mustache bar, etc.).

For those who want to do a lot of bushings Harbor Freight has some pretty cheap presses.
I've actually got alot of use out of my Harbor Freight 12 ton A-frame press. For the money it's a decent buy and doesn't take up too much room.
Old Oct 18, 2008, 10:34 AM
Evolving Member

I'm interested in doing the diff upgrade but live in the Middle East so the shipping would be killer due to the weight even, and then there's the downtime issue.

Wondering if the TRE exchange option would still apply in my case? Would love to find a way to make it work!
Old Oct 18, 2008, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jon... thanks for your PM, I've responded with some questions.
Old Oct 18, 2008, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

If I were you Id just purchase one off of Ebay or something and have it sent straight to Jon@TRE. Then he can just send it straight to you when done and you will have zero downtime and save on shipping. And it would be nice to have a spare sitting in the garage just in case.

Marty
Old Oct 18, 2008, 11:45 AM
Evolving Member

^^ good idea!

Think I could trust eBay to have good diffs? Alas, the complications of living in the desert!
Old Oct 18, 2008, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by theshadow
^^ good idea!

Think I could trust eBay to have good diffs? Alas, the complications of living in the desert!

It worked for me when I purchased a transmission Just make sure you check his seller ratings and open up a good dialogue with the seller to help ensure you dont get ripped off.

Marty
Old Dec 3, 2008, 10:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 245 Likes on 220 Posts
Have any of you guys who have driven or owned a X and also have driven a IX with this set up comment on what kind of characteristics this gives the IX in relation to the X's awd?
Old Dec 21, 2008, 09:23 PM
Evolving Member

Got this mod done the other day and I haven't got a real trial yet but it feels solid and I can't wait for autox to start up again so I can put it to use.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 09:44 AM
Evolving Member

I have been wondering if there are any longevity problems with this upgrade. My car is a DD first, autoxer second, and anything else is a long third. Has anyone that has done this ran into any noises, weird driving, or accelerated wear with this mod?
Old Feb 5, 2009, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I had mine put on April 2008. No problems whatsoever. I noticed some noises when I first started driving it (especially when taking a tight turn out of a parking spot at slow speeds), but I'd also replaced the rear diff bushings with Whiteline bushings. After the diff broke in the noises went away.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 12:20 AM

The TRE rear diff mod seems like a must, so, I am looking for an OEM rear diff so I don't have any down time since my Evo is my daily driver. Anyone on this post have one they want to sell to me? It seems TRE doesn't have any 06 rear diff's in stock to exchange at the moment.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 04:24 PM
Evolved Member

This really is a great mod for the money. It does not affect daily driving at all. Ive raced on mine for quite a while with no issues.

Marty

Quick Reply: Tre Rear Differential Upgrade Service