Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Tre Rear Differential Upgrade Service

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2009, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What fluid is everyone using?

When I first put the diff in I was using redline 75w90ns(no friction modifier, Jon recommended). It made tons of springy clunky noises every time i made tight turns. I called Jon and he said it was supposed to do that and if it locked up too much to add a little fiction modifier. I ended up draining it out and using the regular Redline 75w90(stuff w/ friction modifier) because I thought it was locking up too much and that it would be too loose for me on track.

I have taken the car on track and now I feel like I might want the car a little looser. Should I throw the fluid without the friction modifier back in or try something different like the oem diaqueen?
Old May 25, 2009, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AIREKone
What fluid is everyone using?

When I first put the diff in I was using redline 75w90ns(no friction modifier, Jon recommended). It made tons of springy clunky noises every time i made tight turns. I called Jon and he said it was supposed to do that and if it locked up too much to add a little fiction modifier. I ended up draining it out and using the regular Redline 75w90(stuff w/ friction modifier) because I thought it was locking up too much and that it would be too loose for me on track.

I have taken the car on track and now I feel like I might want the car a little looser. Should I throw the fluid without the friction modifier back in or try something different like the oem diaqueen?
I personally am using AMSOIL in my TRE rear diff. I have changed it out so often, it's well, borderline OCD. Fluid is always super clean. In 3k miles I have changed it 4 times.

I have never tracked my car, or abused it, so I think it's normal per my conversation w/ Jon.
Old May 25, 2009, 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

^^Not OCD? Man you're the reason Obsessive Compulsive Disorder is in the DSM-IV :P. BTW, hit me up .

ps. this rear diff really makes your rear end swing, I've felt first hand in Bill's (revvin9k) car.

Last edited by inco9nito99; May 25, 2009 at 12:37 PM.
Old May 25, 2009, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by revvin9k
I personally am using AMSOIL in my TRE rear diff. I have changed it out so often, it's well, borderline OCD. Fluid is always super clean. In 3k miles I have changed it 4 times.

I have never tracked my car, or abused it, so I think it's normal per my conversation w/ Jon.
What's normal................the fact that it's super clean ??
Old May 25, 2009, 03:17 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Good to hear from others on the noises. Diff is supposed to sound broken. Check
Old May 25, 2009, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

Wow

Now I know what I can expect when I do this install with the metal bushings

GF is REALLY going to hate the car now
Old Jul 9, 2009, 01:44 PM
Evolving Member

Has anyone tried to get this mod recently?

I send mine in to Jon nearly two months ago now and have heard absolutely nothing for the past month... I know his website says he would be gone till beginning of July but im starting to get antsy now.

If anyone has gotten theirs recently I would very much appreciate a PM.

Thanks,
-heeltoer
Old Jul 9, 2009, 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

Diff+ Rear swaybar question

What seems to be the general concensus regarding the rear swaybar with the TRE diff for road racing applications?

I'm just about the install this, and currently have a honking rear 27mm bar

Spring rates on my the coilovers are 10K, so would a stock bar be sufficient or maybe a 24mm adjustable?

Thanks
Old Jul 9, 2009, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by goforwand
What seems to be the general concensus regarding the rear swaybar with the TRE diff for road racing applications?

Spring rates on my the coilovers are 10K, so would a stock bar be sufficient or maybe a 24mm adjustable?

Thanks

Not sure if this will help you much since I do not track my car but....

I am running the Perrin sway bar with the Perrin mounts and I have it set on the middle setting.

While I was able to get the rear end out with just the diff, it seems more controlled with the rear sway, that is if you don't lift.

My ignorant .02
Old Jul 9, 2009, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by heeltoer
Has anyone tried to get this mod recently?

I send mine in to Jon nearly two months ago now and have heard absolutely nothing for the past month... I know his website says he would be gone till beginning of July but im starting to get antsy now.

If anyone has gotten theirs recently I would very much appreciate a PM.

Thanks,
-heeltoer
I am days/weeks away from sending my rear diff - I paid in advance. Hope all is well with Jon
Old Jul 13, 2009, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks
Use the rear bar to balance the car. With that low of spring rate on a racing application I will guess you will probably want the big bar. Just got back from Mid Ohio and I was running very high rear rates and a bar set on full stiff and the TRE rear diff and the GruppeS reflashed ACD controller and a big rear wing and it felt very neutral on mid corner with just a hint of rotation upon on-power corner exit. . .

EVOlutionary
Old Jul 13, 2009, 07:17 PM
Evolving Member

I've never driven Mid-Ohio (only watched races there) but it looks like to be filled with mid to high speed corner. Was the car neutral at that setting on all corners? Was it any different on a slower speed corner like the keyhole? or a transitional (late apex?) corner like 13 / carousel?

Thanks for the feedback. Jon responded to my emails today.

-heeltoer

Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
Use the rear bar to balance the car. With that low of spring rate on a racing application I will guess you will probably want the big bar. Just got back from Mid Ohio and I was running very high rear rates and a bar set on full stiff and the TRE rear diff and the GruppeS reflashed ACD controller and a big rear wing and it felt very neutral on mid corner with just a hint of rotation upon on-power corner exit. . .

EVOlutionary
Old Jul 13, 2009, 08:12 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks
Do not use a 27mm bar with the TRE diff, unless you have really unusual spring rates. I have the 25mm Perrin adjustable, and when I installed the TRE diff the car got so loose that I've spent a year trying to make it neutral. (This is a tribute to the way the TRE rebuild sends power to the rear wheels, not a complaint.)

Anyway, I have now finally got the car neutral again, after increasing the spring rates in the front and setting the 25mm bar to its softest setting (170% of stock) and increasing the rear camber to -2.25. I'm at 14K/16K spring rates F/R by the way. I'm thinking of going back to the stock rear bar, because I'm still getting rear wheel lift until corner exit, and it may be limiting how soon I can go to full throttle.

Mike
Old Jul 14, 2009, 09:16 AM
Evolving Member

I have the TRE rear diff and the 27mm rear bar, I am not sure what my spring rate is (I have RobiSpec K&W clubsport) with the stock rear spoiler and I love it. The car is great in low and mid speed corners. I have not had a chance to try high speed corners.

Hope this helps
Old Jul 14, 2009, 05:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVOlutionary

EVOlutionary
How's the car feel with both rear diff and acd reflash??

Quick Reply: Tre Rear Differential Upgrade Service