Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Tre Rear Differential Upgrade Service

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2008, 06:09 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by Ludikraut
^ In that case it did freeze over in early January (might explain the freakin' cold temps here, LOL) ... because he turned mine around in 2 days.

l8r)
Call me amazed then. Hopefully this is a good sign of change.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 09:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Again - Are you saying TRE's service sucks? Not sure what you are saying...
Old Feb 5, 2008, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

TRE has been known to ... cough ... take their time. IMO, not a problem as long as you contact them ahead of time to verify what kind of turnaround times they are currently running.

l8r)
Old Feb 5, 2008, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

I see.

John said he should be able to turn mine around the same day when I was on the phone askng about this. I hope to see mine soon..Perhaps a call to him today or tomorrow - do you get a tracking no. via email or something? I hate to bother him but I am on a schedule to get my car back on the ground...
Old Feb 5, 2008, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

Dude, relax. TRE was fantastic to deal with. Jon called me 2 days after my diff arrived at their shop to let me know it was finished. He went over what to expect from the mod and went over what he found when he took the diff apart. We talked for about 10-15 minutes. Once I arranged for payment, the finished diff was sent back to me immediately.

l8r)
Old Feb 5, 2008, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

I am relaxed, man. I was just asking a question based on comments. I have already paypal'd Jon. Everything should be good to go.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

^ Heh, cool - ppl just have this habit of panicking anytime they see something posted, and I hate to see a good company get a bad rap.

Hey, are you upgrading your rear diff bushings as well?

l8r)
Old Feb 5, 2008, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ludikraut
^ Heh, cool - ppl just have this habit of panicking anytime they see something posted, and I hate to see a good company get a bad rap.

Hey, are you upgrading your rear diff bushings as well?

l8r)

I went with the AMS moustache brace eliminator and solid diff bushings - Is that the bushings you meant or something inside the diff.

I have a set of whiteline ones new in bag for sale as well for the diff "ears"...
Old Feb 5, 2008, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

Cool. I've got the same setup. It'll be interesting to see what you think of the way the new setup will sound.

l8r)
Old Feb 5, 2008, 11:51 AM
EvoM Guru

Jon is a great guy but I had some frustrating experiences with him.

That said my trans works great.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 12:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by razorlab
Jon is a great guy but I had some frustrating experiences with him.

That said my trans works great.
As I did with you. You gotta remember that back when you sent your 6 speed transmission to me for a rebuild, Mitsubishi didn't even have the parts in the USA to repair the thing. We had to order parts and wait for them to get over here on a boat or however they arrived at that was why it took forever and a day. Once I got everything that I needed I got it done immediately. Now I have lots of parts but nobody wanting a 6 speed... Anyways, I'm glad your transmission is doing fine, I wouldn't expect anything less.

Thanks
Old Feb 5, 2008, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

Hi Jon - Thanks for the PM. I will let you know when I get the diff. Then when its back in, I 'll get the TC down to send in...
Old Feb 5, 2008, 01:41 PM
EvoM Guru

Well if you call a customer calling all the time and not being able to get through, and almost impossible to get updates, frustrating for you, then imagine what it was like for me.

Anywho... no use in crying over spilt milk, the trans works as advertised and has held up great so far.

I hope my TRE 5spd is just as good.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 03:33 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had to wait too (5 speed)... but Jon was easy to work with, and a joy to talk to for far longer than we should have.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 03:51 PM
Evolved Member

I have to agree with Zeus wholeheartedly - I think his shop was already shut when I called, I was calling to leave a message...When I called Jon, he wasnt sure who I was first, thought I was a telemarketer, it was funny! But, he spent the time asking me what I did and explained what the diff would do for me and suggested what was best for me. It was nice of him to take the time out instead of shooing me away like bigger shops have done.

Also, I think he does truly care about how his products look - For example, I said my diff was pretty rusted looking and nastified and that I said I could have it cleaned up and he immediately interrupted and said he would do it for me and would even paint it up and said he could do a matt black finish so it looked cleaner etc. He didnt charge me for this - I know shops that will charge me $20 to weld a bung on a $800 manifold which they have already marked up a lot. I guess he is taking the time to go the extra mile for me when he is pretty busy. Thats an endearing quality as well.

Also, Jon just sent me pics of my diff and wow - It looks sooo much better! I am impressed, I wish I had pics of the rust on it, maybe Jon did. It looked horrible....I know its performance matters more, but I was still impressed how well it cleaned up...

Here is what my moustache bar looked like to give you an idea, the diff was much worse looking:

I'll host them tonight and post pics up! Stay tuned!

EDIT, here are pics of my diff before and after....

Last edited by EvoIXMR; Feb 5, 2008 at 05:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Tre Rear Differential Upgrade Service