Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Tre Rear Differential Upgrade Service

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2008, 06:17 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Funny, I blasted/painted my own diff... they look much better that way. I replaced mine thinking it had a problem. It didn't, and now I have an extra one with about 25k on it. Maybe I'll send it to Jon when I have a little extra coin.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 05:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, the painted diff looks nice.

Hey Jon, that's something you guys could start offering. I'd have happily paid a little bit extra to have my diff painted.

l8r)
Old Feb 6, 2008, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

i have read throw this thread, and i just wanted to know what would be the effects of this on a car that drag races? would it be better, is it stronger? Would you cut better 60'?

thank you
Old Feb 6, 2008, 08:08 AM
Evolving Member

Sure, if that is what it takes we'll include painting them from now on.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

Hi all,

I got my rear diff serviced by Jon @ TRE for my SCCA T2 race car. The turnaround time was excellent and Jon was incredibly knowledgeable on the various questions I had. The painted finish looks incredible and the overall build quality looks top notch.

I have an SCCA test and tune day late April and will be able to report in greater detail the results of the upgrade.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

Please let us know what you think of this. My car won't be running for a while due to some unexpected issues (monetary), so bench racing is all I can hope for
Old Mar 21, 2008, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

I think this thing kicks ***. I finally got my car out today and took a short test drive. On one particular on ramp my car would typically push a bit and I would have to modulate the throttle b/c of the push. Today forget it, the car was def aiming for throttle on rotation. I be happy.

Can't wait for a proper test on 285 r-comps.

John
Old Mar 21, 2008, 06:46 PM
Evolved Member

I'm glad to see a reasonable option other than a 40/60 center diff. You will have my money sometime in the future. Thanks for all the input guys, I've even learned a thing or two.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Zeus
Maybe I'll send it to Jon when I have a little extra coin.
I hear you can have your economic stimulus check sent directly to TRE.

After I had my stage 2 tranny rebuild, t-case rebuild, and lsd installation done last week, I know mine is already in his hands, and I haven't even rec'd it yet.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kekek
I think this thing kicks ***. ... I be happy.

Can't wait for a proper test on 285 r-comps.

John
But that's with the GSC 40/60 center diff in the mix, too, right John? Just clarifying for others.
Old Mar 22, 2008, 01:14 AM
Evolved Member

Yum! A 40/60 and a tight rear!

I like it!!
Old Mar 22, 2008, 04:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EJEvo
But that's with the GSC 40/60 center diff in the mix, too, right John? Just clarifying for others.
Yes, I have an OEM RS diff in the front, GSC 40/60 center and TRE rear. Even with the GSC 40/60 center my car would still push on this particular spot, so the TRE just helped it more. I also had 40k miles (and a billion autox's) on the stock rear diff so I am quite certain it was not doing it's job anymore.

Also should point out that the car wants to step out with some all season tires and its roughly 45 deg when I drove the car so grip wasn't exactly high. The real test will be on hot sticky r-comps at Devens and a particular turnaround at englishtown (Perry is very limited on certain elements of course design). There are basically a few points in the corner that I am trying to improve the car's response and corner exit/getting on the throttle very early is one of them.

John
Old Mar 22, 2008, 07:10 AM
Evolved Member

I look forward to your report.
Old Mar 22, 2008, 08:24 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kekek
The real test will be on hot sticky r-comps at Devens and a particular turnaround at englishtown (Perry is very limited on certain elements of course design). There are basically a few points in the corner that I am trying to improve the car's response and corner exit/getting on the throttle very early is one of them.

John, it's interesting how much talk that corner gets Don Slevin, riding in my car, suggested in our car to be off the throttle almost completely until we're pointed in the right direction (or close to it, to compensate for throttle lag) back towards the course. Generally, the following elements are slalom type gates so having stability and no push is a critical element coming out of the corner.

Frankly, I don't have a real answer how to handle that corner. What are your thoughts? How do you expect your new diff to react there?
Old Mar 22, 2008, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Matt2.8NJ
John, it's interesting how much talk that corner gets Don Slevin, riding in my car, suggested in our car to be off the throttle almost completely until we're pointed in the right direction (or close to it, to compensate for throttle lag) back towards the course. Generally, the following elements are slalom type gates so having stability and no push is a critical element coming out of the corner.

Frankly, I don't have a real answer how to handle that corner. What are your thoughts? How do you expect your new diff to react there?
We'll there are 3 problems with that corner. 1 is there is a bump mid corner. 2 there is very little grip. 3 the evo pushes on throttle.

My goal with a corner is to slow down, make the turn and get into the throttle as early and as much as possible. That corner you can hardly do any of those and the bump mid way through kills everything. My hopes are that the ohlins are much better at absorbing mid corner bumps (they should be) and that the car should rotate much better on throttle so that I can shave a bunch of time by planting my right foot nice and early. Dan's Sti would rocket out of that corner b/c of the rotation on throttle, I am hoping to emulate that.

Otherwise I drive it just as Don suggested as it was the only way through. I just had to ***** foot the exit big time.

We'll see how it goes.

Quick Reply: Tre Rear Differential Upgrade Service