Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Tre Rear Differential Upgrade Service

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2008, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, so I had a chance to run in the cold on old 710's. The corner exit difference with the TRE rear diff is pretty pronounced. The car is actually starting to feel more like a rwd car with benefits. I'm actually considering getting rid of some rear toe to stabilize the car on-throttle.

I should also note there were some other STU Evo's out that got loose in similar spots as my car, I just don't think it was in the same manner. Car set FTD and PAX so I'm pretty pleased.

As for that bump, you can see it in the video's, I had a much easier time carrying speed through there than I have in the past, although this course had a very wide turnaround.

Check out the videos of Dan and myself here:

http://holunfie.blogspot.com/2008/04...jr-scca-t.html

John
Old Apr 3, 2008, 08:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kekek
Ok, so I had a chance to run in the cold on old 710's. The corner exit difference with the TRE rear diff is pretty pronounced. The car is actually starting to feel more like a rwd car with benefits. I'm actually considering getting rid of some rear toe to stabilize the car on-throttle.

I should also note there were some other STU Evo's out that got loose in similar spots as my car, I just don't think it was in the same manner. Car set FTD and PAX so I'm pretty pleased.

As for that bump, you can see it in the video's, I had a much easier time carrying speed through there than I have in the past, although this course had a very wide turnaround.

Check out the videos of Dan and myself here:

http://holunfie.blogspot.com/2008/04...jr-scca-t.html

John
very nice. any in car view?
Old Apr 4, 2008, 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DOHCtor
very nice. any in car view?
No in-car from this event. Later in the season we'll run 2 lipstick cams for extra views.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

Hi All,

I just wanted to post my experience again with the TRE Rear diff, I finally got my SCCA T2 Evo all assembled after the winter and I need to say that the diff upgrade is the real deal. This thing is just amazingly aggressive, I am totally impressed with the overall change in the car, Jon really has a tremendous service and IMO this is one of the best upgrades that you can buy for this car. With the spring package SCCA approved it's like a whole new car.

Absolutely amazing. if you do any sort of motorsport and don't have this yet, I urge you to go and get this service done.
Old Apr 19, 2008, 06:11 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Tsurara
Hi All,

I just wanted to post my experience again with the TRE Rear diff, I finally got my SCCA T2 Evo all assembled after the winter and I need to say that the diff upgrade is the real deal. This thing is just amazingly aggressive, I am totally impressed with the overall change in the car, Jon really has a tremendous service and IMO this is one of the best upgrades that you can buy for this car. With the spring package SCCA approved it's like a whole new car.

Absolutely amazing. if you do any sort of motorsport and don't have this yet, I urge you to go and get this service done.
I agree. It made a tremendous difference in my first autocross event!

By the way, do you have a modified center diff, or just the TRE-built rear diff? I'm still trying to figure out if there's any significant need for a 40/60 center diff, once you have the rear diff build.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 05:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by point&shoot
I agree. It made a tremendous difference in my first autocross event!

By the way, do you have a modified center diff, or just the TRE-built rear diff? I'm still trying to figure out if there's any significant need for a 40/60 center diff, once you have the rear diff build.
Hi point&shoot,

I am just running the stock center, however a good friend of mine uses the 40/60 center diff and says with that with the TRE rear diff the car starts to act more like a really well balanced RWD car rather than an understeering AWD pig I know you autocross guys do lots of tight turns, I think the two of those upgrades would be really beneficial.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

Hi point&shoot,

I am just running the stock center, however a good friend of mine uses the 40/60 center diff and says with that with the TRE rear diff the car starts to act more like a really well balanced RWD car rather than an understeering AWD pig I know you autocross guys do lots of tight turns, I think the two of those upgrades would be really beneficial.

The combo def kicks ***. However I'm not sure if the $$ spent for the 40/60 is entirely worth it when you consider the labor involved. It does make the car begin to feel more like a rwd car, that is def true. Crappy thing is the damn car still has 60% of the weight over the front wheels, absolutely nothing you can really do about that in some autox classes.

John
Old Apr 21, 2008, 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

Interesting stuff. Glad to see this thread still flourishing...I just sent Jon my TC for the Ralliart upgrade. I wonder if he offfers a 40/60 split as well...

Kekek is absolutely right - dropping as much weight in the front is an option (lighter rad, bumper beam removal, lightweight member support, small battery or re-location, AC delete, HID delete etc) and while that may help, the dang iron block 4G63 is still a major cause for the weight
Old Apr 21, 2008, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoIXMR
Interesting stuff. Glad to see this thread still flourishing...I just sent Jon my TC for the Ralliart upgrade. I wonder if he offfers a 40/60 split as well...

Kekek is absolutely right - dropping as much weight in the front is an option (lighter rad, bumper beam removal, lightweight member support, small battery or re-location, AC delete, HID delete etc) and while that may help, the dang iron block 4G63 is still a major cause for the weight
Jon can get you the 40/60 diff. I know a few guys who got the Cusco one from him.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

really? Whoa - I need to talk to him ASAP.

Thanks!
Old Apr 22, 2008, 07:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jon can get you the 40/60 diff. I know a few guys who got the Cusco one from him.
I can get them and we've installed almost a dozen of them. On a side note there have been several rear differentials that have came in that have needed the bearing preload adjusted and unless you have experience in setting this up correctly don't try it at home.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

Jon - The cusco goes in the t-case or are you saying its in the rear? I am confused...

Since you have my t-case right now, I am wondering if I should do the ralliart or the cusco version. Any thoughts? I will call you...And you know I already have your rear diff mod
Old Apr 22, 2008, 07:38 AM
Evolving Member

slightly OT: Jon, I recently got the front LSD installed in my 03, and WOW! what a difference it has made. Once I get my money buffer back in place, I will definitely need to send my rear diff in. Can't wait to see how these 2 mods work together.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by EvoIXMR
Jon - The cusco goes in the t-case or are you saying its in the rear? I am confused...

Since you have my t-case right now, I am wondering if I should do the ralliart or the cusco version. Any thoughts? I will call you...And you know I already have your rear diff mod
Cusco center diff goes in the transmission.

I think he was talking about the rear diff as a separate issue . . .

If he has your TC, then he can do your front diff. Most common options are Quaife and the OEM from the EVO RS . . .
Old Apr 22, 2008, 08:24 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi All,

Tsurara,

I'm glad that you like how the rear diff changes the way the EVO drives and I will be testing the latest version that has 16 friction plates here shortly. The lock-up will be overkill for tarmac but work well for the loose found in rally.

Last edited by GEARS; Apr 22, 2008 at 09:32 AM.

Quick Reply: Tre Rear Differential Upgrade Service