Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

AMS Tests: The New EVO AccessPort

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2007, 01:23 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMS Tests: The New EVO AccessPort

After having delved into the Subaru market recently we were faced with the need to become familiar with the Accessport and its myriad of features which are available for it. Accessport is one of the best things that can happen to an ECU as far as features and tunability. AP, with its real time tuning ability allows the tuner to make changes to the car as if it were a stand alone, while still using the stock ECU! This is VERY beneficial when dialing even the least complicated setup, because it saves time (and you money) and ultimately helps the tuner get the car into the ‘sweet spot’ where drivability and big horsepower meet. When we heard that it was coming out for the evo (finally) we were very excited and ready to test it as soon as possible.

While both the AP and the open source software will modify most of the same basic tables. The AP allows you to switch maps at any time without a laptop! It will also give you some base maps to get you going, and even a valet map that you can load when you don’t want other people beating on your car. Another big feature in the AP is the ability to eliminate some of the factory check engine lights! Finally, you won’t have a red light staring back at you every time you start your EVO.

Having recently used the software on one of our employee’s cars to check out its functionality and get accustomed to the interface I can tell you that it is everything that you could need in factory ECU modification system. The clear definitions of tables and familiar interface from the Subaru products help me blast through the learning curve of the software and get right to tuning. After tuning it with the AP I managed to get this out of it.

This car is equipped with AMS FMIC, AMS turbo back exhaust, AMS Licp, Filter + adapter, and of course the new EVO AccessPort. Theblue run is stock and the green run is Tuned with AP.

Had there been a need for a race gas map I could have easily modified a few things and made a second complete map to load into his AP. Using the AP, he would be able to switch maps at any time as long as he keeps the AP with him. The AP is small enough to be stored in the glove box, and can also be used for trouble shooting and output monitoring. It is a built in code scanner AND will also read select parameters from your car and display them on the screen for you to keep track of your engine’s vital functions.

We do have a few of these technological wonders in stock right now. The EVO AP unit retails for $695

If you would like to stop in a get one for your EVO 8 or 9, we will gladly take do a custom tune on the vehicle for only $395 (that’s $100 off!), or install the unit for free.

If you are out of our area (and still in the contiguous 48 states) and you would still like to take advantage of this awesome product, we can offer free shipping to you. I can also make you a base map and load it on to the AP for HALF price! (this only applies to cars with minimal modifications, please email for further details.)

http://www.amsperformance.com/store/...oducts_id=1710
Old Dec 12, 2007, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

Jesus the stock numbers are great. What would the difference be with a dyno tune? 8 or 9?
Old Dec 12, 2007, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

wow, can't wait to see more results for this
Old Dec 12, 2007, 01:35 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by mrdevo
Jesus the stock numbers are great. What would the difference be with a dyno tune? 8 or 9?
This is a custom tuned map on an EVO 9
Old Dec 12, 2007, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does the AP come with a base map?

For example, I know the Cobb AP's come with a base map and have support for them. Not sure who makes these AP's or what kind of support is planned?
Old Dec 12, 2007, 02:22 PM
Evolving Member

Im not familiar with the AP, not really much of a subie guy, so I guess my real question is, will you see similar results from a custom flash as you would from a custom tune using the AP?
Old Dec 12, 2007, 02:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by boomn29
Does the AP come with a base map?

For example, I know the Cobb AP's come with a base map and have support for them. Not sure who makes these AP's or what kind of support is planned?
Yes, the AccessPort is made by cobb for both cars.

The unit is supplied with a couple of conservative base maps. In order to get the most of the vehicle, you will need to have it tuned.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 02:31 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Ambiguous
Im not familiar with the AP, not really much of a subie guy, so I guess my real question is, will you see similar results from a custom flash as you would from a custom tune using the AP?

In terms of HP results, especially with simple setups, the HP output will be about the same. The AP has several features that cannot be carried out with the stock computer which I listed above:

The AP allows you to switch maps at any time without a laptop! It will also give you some base maps to get you going, and even a valet map that you can load when you don’t want other people beating on your car. Another big feature in the AP is the ability to eliminate some of the factory check engine lights! Finally, you won’t have a red light staring back at you every time you start your EVO.
Had there been a need for a race gas map I could have easily modified a few things and made a second complete map to load into his AP. Using the AP, he would be able to switch maps at any time as long as he keeps the AP with him. The AP is small enough to be stored in the glove box, and can also be used for trouble shooting and output monitoring. It is a built in code scanner AND will also read select parameters from your car and display them on the screen for you to keep track of your engine’s vital functions.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

Can we as private parties get the needed software to do the tuning ourselves?
Old Dec 13, 2007, 07:35 AM
Former Sponsor

You can buy software to tune it, but it will only work on your car with your AP.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Chris@AMS
Accessport is one of the best things that can happen to an ECU as far as features and tunability.

Once a few more things (features) for ECUFlash are available, how will this compare to ECUFlash.

It seems as though this is a lot of money to be able to tune the stock ECU when ECUFlash, EVOScan and a Tactrix cable can be had for $125.

Map switching should be available soon (Without a laptop), Evoscan displays stuff on a screen (Laptop), we have a valet mode (Doesn't need a laptop to put it in valet mode), and we can also disable some items that cause check engine lights. What is the real benefits?

Disclaimer: I am not trying to knock Accessport, just trying to figure out what the real differences are between Accessport and ECUFlash/EVOScan.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

Is this pretty much the DSMlink for Evo's? Does it work like a DSMLink where you need to swap chips and then plug a laptop into the diagnostic port to tune?

Would you be able to tune like Mellon or Jestr with email flashes/logs?

Thanks,
Dan
Old Dec 13, 2007, 10:08 AM
Evolving Member

AMS,
i have a question....when you say the blue line is stock, does that mean the car was stock ecu or completely stock in terms of bolt ons and ecu?
i just want to clear up my confusion
thanks!

also, if it is stock motor and ecu, how much power gains were there only off tune?
TIA
Old Dec 13, 2007, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chris@AMS
You can buy software to tune it, but it will only work on your car with your AP.

meaning that the unit is your cars specifically... NOT interchangeable....
Old Dec 13, 2007, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 90GSXDan
Is this pretty much the DSMlink for Evo's? Does it work like a DSMLink where you need to swap chips and then plug a laptop into the diagnostic port to tune?

Would you be able to tune like Mellon or Jestr with email flashes/logs?

Thanks,
Dan

No, you do not need a new chip like the old DSM's did...

Quick Reply: AMS Tests: The New EVO AccessPort