Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Mynes vs Vivid

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2007, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SeanC
I see nothing wrong with locking the ECU. They are protecting themselves from legal action and protecting intellectual property.

I don't understand the "it's my ECU, I own the tune argument". You DO own the tune, you paid for it, and your car is now showing the benefits of the tune every time you drive it! That is what you paid for! What other form of ownership do you need? The right to distribute the tune to other people? We all know that is wrong. If you plan on tuning the car yourself, why would you go to the tuner in the first place??? If you want to modify a tune, don’t expect the tuner to stand behind their work.
this is essentially the same argument behind open source. and is way beyond the scope of this thread, but at least both points were made here. if you wanted to know my opinions or why i choose to go with a tuner, and still have complete ownership over the tune. theres PMs for that.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 09:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that's where i feel you are wrong. In america - once the car is yours, so is the code, and the ecu. you are not licensing your ecu. it is physically your property, along with all the code. BMW does not have to give you access to it, and they can try and keep you out of it, but ethically its not wrong for an owner to reverse engineer their own car and modify it. If they were to re-sell the BMW code as their own, obviously thats a completely different issue. The same goes for software - when you buy a computer - they can make you agree to all these crazy license agreements - but none of them will hold up in a court of law.
Umm, I don't know which America you live in, but in the America I live in, I don't own any right to the code inside my car. If I owned the code, I should be able to call up Mitsubishi and demand they give me the code to my car. And if Mitsubishi is a properly run company, they would laugh in my face, call me a ***** and hang up the phone. Tampering with the code (which ECU flashers do) and owning the code outright is not the same thing.
Old Dec 19, 2007, 07:38 AM
Evolved Member

wow this is still going ? mynes and vivid must be loving the free publicity...
Old Dec 19, 2007, 10:36 PM
Evolving Member

mitch tuned mt vii.... he gets my vote
Old Jan 15, 2008, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

I just found this.

I don't really see the debate. Jay is a good tuner I am sure if you decide to go to Mynes I am sure you wont be disappointed.

If you come to Vivid you wont be disappointed. Should be happy that Arizona has some pretty good tuners is all I am saying.

Mitch
Old Jan 15, 2008, 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mitch@VividRacing
I just found this.

I don't really see the debate. Jay is a good tuner I am sure if you decide to go to Mynes I am sure you wont be disappointed.

If you come to Vivid you wont be disappointed. Should be happy that Arizona has some pretty good tuners is all I am saying.

Mitch
+1 Mitch, plus vivid doesnt do tuning Mitch does the tuning on there dyno!!!

But as always Mitch has my vote lol