Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

evo iv turbo upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2007, 01:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
evo iv turbo upgrade?

looking at upgrading the turbo on my iv.

first off i was wondering what a good size turbo is (hardhitting but not much lag) and also what kind of upgrades if also have to do to run it. (fuel pump etc)

thanks if you can help
Old Dec 17, 2007, 02:03 AM
Evolving Member

what mods do you have on the car now?
common upgrades to support a bigger turbo would include a fuel pump, fuel injectors, cams, exhaust and intake and a good tune.
the evo9 20glt (evo green) turbo is very popular for not having too much lag and plenty of power....check out amsperformance or buschurracing., they are the two best evo tuners in the U.S.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 03:05 AM
Evolving Member

if you want to you can find a performance shop that works on evo near your place and call them and talk to them about what is your goal of power...but good luck with the search,it would depend how much power you want,than you can decide on what size turbo you giong to get,the ams gt35r kit is common
Old Dec 18, 2007, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by jenx1976
what mods do you have on the car now?
common upgrades to support a bigger turbo would include a fuel pump, fuel injectors, cams, exhaust and intake and a good tune.
the evo9 20glt (evo green) turbo is very popular for not having too much lag and plenty of power....check out amsperformance or buschurracing., they are the two best evo tuners in the U.S.
um no mods just pod filter and bov. i live in new zealand and i dont think we have access to tht turbo. any ideas?
Old Dec 18, 2007, 12:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evilutioniv
um no mods just pod filter and bov. i live in new zealand and i dont think we have access to tht turbo. any ideas?
you need supporting mods first before you do a turbo

-turboback exhaust
-intercooler + lower/upper piping
-intake
-injectors (cc depends on power goals)
-fuel pump
-boost controller
-atleast a boost gauge
-cams are optional

then you can upgrade your turbo and get a custom tune; i would do a green (bolt-on, no aftermarket manifold necessary) for a good power increase, or a 50-trim or 30R (aftermarket manifold - turbo kit) for some really huge gains. then of course there's meth you can add. what power level you want is going to determine whether you can stay on the stock ecu or not, or if you have to switch to an AEM or something like that. if i'm missing anything someone let me know.

your best bet is to find a local shop that builds/tunes evos around you and ask them what they think, and where to get parts.

-Chris

Last edited by evo_what; Dec 19, 2007 at 01:18 PM.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 12:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo_what
you need supporting mods first before you do a turbo. you should ditch the aftermarket bov and keep the stock IX one. and get the following:

-turboback exhaust
-intercooler + lower/upper piping
-intake
-injectors (cc depends on power goals)
-fuel pump
-boost controller
-atleast a boost gauge
-cams are optional

then you can upgrade your turbo and get a custom tune; i would do a green (bolt-on, no aftermarket manifold necessary) for a good power increase, or a 50-trim or 30R (aftermarket manifold - turbo kit) for some really huge gains. then of course there's meth you can add. what power level you want is going to determine whether you can stay on the stock ecu or not, or if you have to switch to an AEM or something like that. if i'm missing anything someone let me know.

your best bet is to find a local shop that builds/tunes evos around you and ask them what they think, and where to get parts.

-Chris
Isn't he a EVO 4? not 9?
Old Dec 18, 2007, 12:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evilutioniv
You can purchase anything from the internet, just find a reputable dealer thats willing to ship internationally
Old Dec 19, 2007, 01:31 AM

links to any?
Old Dec 19, 2007, 05:49 AM
Evolving Member

http://www.rallycars.com/Cars/Mitsub...V/evoIV_3.html
It looks like, according to this site, that you have the twin-scroll. I think that the flang is the same from 4-9. SO, you probably would be able to get any turbo that fits on the 8, with maby some minor modification to oil/water lines. You should check out the vendors on this site, and speak to them about your power goals, money you want to spend, and so on. They'll be able to advise you better than I can.

You should look into a "green" turbo, and the power that people made on it. Typical supporting things you will have to do is injectors/fuel pump/tune. With tuning being the biggest in my opinion. SO, if you don't have access to get your car tuned, you might not want to even do this. Instead learn to tune first.
Old Dec 19, 2007, 01:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by steadly2004
Isn't he a EVO 4? not 9?
yeh you're right, i must have read it too fast.

-Chris