Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Headgames ported my HTA35R you must see it!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2007, 04:33 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RanEvo
D
there have been more amazing cyl heads born on that bench than anywhere else ive ever been. Ive grinded on a bunch of my personal projects over there, and cant even come sort of close to this guy, hes soo good. never seen anyone take metal away so well, its really badass. if AMS stocks these on the shelf with no wait, thats a deal

Originally Posted by warp9
Dude you just killed that turbo. Ask FP why.....
thats ridiculous, it doesnt make any sense unless "killed" was a good thing

Originally Posted by HeadGames
I will stop short of saying he condoned this..he did not. But, if he were to have told me that I would ruin it by doing it, we wouldn't have. He is one of the most intelligent friends I have, and forgotten more then I know about turbo's.
awww youre so sweet, good thing all your friends cant read, makes me look good!! (j/k) i dont think porting the compressor cover is a bad thing at all, I just dont expect it to have gains. weve done so much stupid things to compressor housings, they never make much of a difference.... that turbine housing on the other hand, youre gonna be sorry you showed me these pics, i got a box of housings for us to work on i hope you dont hate me, but i got so much cast iron for us now haha

Originally Posted by BURNALL_4
If it's FR and Head Games approved, im good with it. Great job! When the HTA37R comes out, ill be calling for a port job to be done on it.
wtf is that?? a p trim turbine with an 7 blade 66-67mm compressor?

Originally Posted by Turbojunkie
what kind of gains can one see by porting the entire stock exh. side? ex. mani,o2. turbo. ive got an 10.5 05 turbo and im running e85 @ 27 psi with all bolt ons. dont want to go big turbo.
i feel that porting the turbine housing is very beneficial, particularly if using a tubular manifold.

Last edited by Geoff Raicer; Dec 20, 2007 at 04:35 PM.
Old Dec 20, 2007, 04:52 PM
Evolved Member

Nice work! Looks amazing.
Old Dec 20, 2007, 04:54 PM
Former Sponsor

[QUOTE=Full-Race Geoff;5077628]
that turbine housing on the other hand, youre gonna be sorry you showed me these pics, i got a box of housings for us to work on i hope you dont hate me, but i got so much cast iron for us now haha

Forget every nice thing I ever said about you...
Old Dec 20, 2007, 07:16 PM
Evolving Member

I also think the turbine housing is the place you're more likely to get results . I think it stands to reason because the exhaust gasses being really hot and at much greater velocity you stand to gain more by reducing restrictions where possible - gvie it the best shot at the turbine so to speak .
I always though that if you can at least smooth the cast finish inside a turbine housing you slightly reduce its surface area (heat transfer) and possibly reduce the depth of the boundry layer as exhaust gas flows through it .

I don't think I've ever seen major mods to the volute or outlet of a compressor housing achieve anything breathtaking . A little smoothing probably wouldn't do any harm and and with sharp edges inside you could take any burrs off with a bit of emery paper .

We have a sort of "modified" GT3582R as an OEM on a 4 L DOHC 24V Ford 6 here in Australia , basically it uses a T3 flanged 1.06 IW GT35 turbine housing and of all things a non port shrouded T04E 0.50 A/R compressor housing (I think 2.75" in/2" out) . The engines seem to run alright though on low boost (5 psi) and crank out ~ 240 Kw . GCG Turbos over here sell a Garrett factory comp housing thats a 0.70 A/R and suits the hybrid turbos T04E backplate/adapter ring and the 82mm Gt40 compressor . Its supposed to be some wacky T04S housing with the same sized 2.75"/2" bosses . Anyhow it goes bolt and somehow almost mimics what the more normal T04S housing does . I don't know how - maybe soft state of tune .

I think if you really want more from a compressor housing you need a larger A/R or go up a family in size .
There may be something to be learnt by looking at the "HTA" compressor wheels native housing , for example with Garrett they used their 76mm T04S compressors in obviously T04S housings . I'm not sure but I wonder sometimes if the higher blade count (7/14 vs 6/12) makes a compressor work better at times with large family comp housings - more blades more paddles ?

Should mention Garetts GT4088R here , late mid trim 7/14 blade compressor in a large but not huge 0.72 A/R GT40 comp housing , don't they use a 2.5" outlet boss like the T04S housing does ?

Before I go I noticed the inlet boss of your comp housing in the first shot has an insert inside it , is this a retro HKS GT3037 type thing or is it done because the "HTA" compressor may be dimensionally slightly smaller than the GT35R's original wheel - filler piece ?

To all have a happy and safe time over the festive season .

Cheers A .
Old Dec 20, 2007, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

subscribed
Old Dec 21, 2007, 09:55 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by discopotato03
Should mention Garetts GT4088R here , late mid trim 7/14 blade compressor in a large but not huge 0.72 A/R GT40 comp housing , don't they use a 2.5" outlet boss like the T04S housing does ?
the production 4088R uses a .72 a/r 4" inlet 2.5" outlet housing with a larger OD than T04S

the early release 4088Rs used a .50 a/r 4" inlet 2.5" outlet housing with the same footprint as the .72, but it obviously was smaller.
Old Dec 21, 2007, 10:01 AM
Evolving Member

nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Old Dec 21, 2007, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RanEvo
Dude, I didn't reply to your comment, as I've took your advise and asked Force Performance why?
Ok, I've just got of the phone with Robert Yang from Force Performance, the legendary man which designed and making with he's hands the legendary
Evogreen and the HTA35R Turbos, and that's what Robert Yang told me:
"No downside doing that, no way you killed your Turbo, you should have some improvement"
I was discussing with Robert the potential benefit of porting, and he believe that if I've upgraded everything around (cams, head, etc. ) that should be one of the last upgrades to push a bit extra, how much extra? That's a good question, so I will let you know...

Haha you just owned warp9
Old Dec 21, 2007, 03:10 PM
Evolving Member

Yep sorry all , my bad . Geoffs right - the T04S housings 2.25" outlet and the GT40's is 2.5" .

Any pics of that T04S one looking into the inlet ?

Cheers A .
Old Dec 21, 2007, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

good luck and cant wait to see those numbers
Old Dec 21, 2007, 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

wtf is that?? a p trim turbine with an 7 blade 66-67mm compressor?

IDK. i heard a rumor that FP was doing a pt67 with the hta wheel...i could be wrong, its just what i heard.
Old Dec 21, 2007, 08:57 PM
Evolving Member

great job amazing
Old Jun 1, 2008, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMS already test the pt67 (37R) I believe. They said the tests were nothing compared to the 30R HTA gains and 35R HTA gains.
Old Jun 1, 2008, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
But remember that AMS tested the 37RHTA with the small housing that is necessary to use the AMS other kit parts.
Old Jun 1, 2008, 02:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ohh ic so that was the catch. figured i was missing something.

Quick Reply: Headgames ported my HTA35R you must see it!