Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Do I have a warped flywheel?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2007, 02:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do I have a warped flywheel?

So this last Sunday I was beating the EVO pretty hard, lots of launches and some AWD drifting. (finishing off the stock advantages) On the way home the car drove normal. Then on Monday when I went to work the clutch was acting up on me. This is how it is acting:

Clutch enguagement is pretty high on the pedal, it has always been this way and that is what I am used to. However when in First gear and starting from a stop the clutch dose a skip, it's not slipping it just seems like is studders once and then enguages.

At first I just thought I needed to adjust the pedal.

I adjusted the clutch pedal all the way down, and up and it dose the same thing. I checked all the bolts, the slave cylinder, linkage, and found nothing out of the ordinary.

The clutch is not slipping! Just crappy engagement in first, It starts to enguage fine execpt at the very end, it feels like it is dumping it at the very end. All other gears are fine. After all the adjustments and no changes, I decided to give it a launch and it did great, no problems. It only happens at a slow start in first.

So after some searching and thinking, I am guessing I warpped my flywheel.

The car has an aftermarket ACT clutch and a reserfaced stock flywheel. It has work perfect with quite a few launches and lots of hard driving (SCCA) for 10,000 miles.

Let me know if you agree, or have any different ideas. Thanks!
Old Dec 19, 2007, 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by Deepseadiver
So this last Sunday I was beating the EVO pretty hard, lots of launches and some AWD drifting. (finishing off the stock advantages) On the way home the car drove normal. Then on Monday when I went to work the clutch was acting up on me. This is how it is acting:

Clutch enguagement is pretty high on the pedal, it has always been this way and that is what I am used to. However when in First gear and starting from a stop the clutch dose a skip, it's not slipping it just seems like is studders once and then enguages.

At first I just thought I needed to adjust the pedal.

I adjusted the clutch pedal all the way down, and up and it dose the same thing. I checked all the bolts, the slave cylinder, linkage, and found nothing out of the ordinary.

The clutch is not slipping! Just crappy engagement in first, It starts to enguage fine execpt at the very end, it feels like it is dumping it at the very end. All other gears are fine. After all the adjustments and no changes, I decided to give it a launch and it did great, no problems. It only happens at a slow start in first.

So after some searching and thinking, I am guessing I warpped my flywheel.

The car has an aftermarket ACT clutch and a reserfaced stock flywheel. It has work perfect with quite a few launches and lots of hard driving (SCCA) for 10,000 miles.

Let me know if you agree, or have any different ideas. Thanks!
that's not ur flywheel bro... that's a program in your ecu called your PROM. when you ride your car hard for a day it recognizes and remembers how your driving and engaging your clutch so when you try to drive normal after its not used to you driving like a granny so its sluggish and hard shifts.. it got used to your race style driving that's why it engages perfectly when you launch. if you were to drive it normal for a day and deal with the hard shifting it will adjust back to normal driving conditions and not act up.
Old Dec 19, 2007, 04:34 AM
Evolved Member

Can anyone confirm the above post? Is it the PROM? I have been driving it to work and back for a few days now.
Old Dec 19, 2007, 04:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If thats the case, disconnnecting the battery would dump the old "learned program" and reset things...I think its the fly wheel..myself..
Old Dec 19, 2007, 05:15 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No there is nothing in the ECU that does that. It is clutch chatter it is very normal on our cars.
Old Dec 19, 2007, 06:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by MR Turco
No there is nothing in the ECU that does that. It is clutch chatter it is very normal on our cars.
Clutch chatter deals with twin disk clutches, not single disk.
Old Dec 19, 2007, 06:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TeStUdO
Clutch chatter deals with twin disk clutches, not single disk.

+1. and also on six and four puck clutches and it is not a normal thing for stock clutches.

Try bleeding your line maybe?
Old Dec 19, 2007, 06:35 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I disagree, i get clutch chatter every so often when it is REALLY cold out. So do other local guys on stock clutchs. I even get it in my sentra with a stock clutch, rarely but it happens.
Old Dec 19, 2007, 06:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Deepseadiver
Can anyone confirm the above post? Is it the PROM? I have been driving it to work and back for a few days now.
Dont listen to a word that guy just said, he has 3 posts and drives a lancer ES.

But it is possible you overheated your flywheel and warped it, espcially since you had it resurfaced once already which would increase the chance to overheat it.
Old Dec 19, 2007, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MR Turco
I disagree, i get clutch chatter every so often when it is REALLY cold out. So do other local guys on stock clutchs. I even get it in my sentra with a stock clutch, rarely but it happens.
must be a climate thing, I've never really heard of this happening over here.
Old Dec 19, 2007, 06:55 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by SiCKlEyWiKeD
must be a climate thing, I've never really heard of this happening over here.
Oh yeah, this car makes a lot of interesting changes when it drops below freezing.
Old Dec 19, 2007, 06:58 AM
Evolved Member

The flywheel might be glazed in few spots, I dont think it is completely warped. If it was, you would get weird engagement in more than just 1st gear. Hopefully the machine shop didn't take too much off of it when it was resurfaced.
Old Dec 19, 2007, 07:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ozzy4G94
that's not ur flywheel bro... that's a program in your ecu called your PROM. when you ride your car hard for a day it recognizes and remembers how your driving and engaging your clutch so when you try to drive normal after its not used to you driving like a granny so its sluggish and hard shifts.. it got used to your race style driving that's why it engages perfectly when you launch. if you were to drive it normal for a day and deal with the hard shifting it will adjust back to normal driving conditions and not act up.

Thats funny. I wish a car could do this. But not true.
Old Dec 19, 2007, 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

as that disc wears...the pedal will get closer and closer to the top.
It's possible to warp the disc which is a sprung hub. The ACT's are.
Flywheel will have some bluing and high spots caused by the heat from launching.
This is where it's better to get a carbon style clutch for life against repeated hard launches.
Old Dec 19, 2007, 07:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DRFTKNGG
as that disc wears...the pedal will get closer and closer to the top.
It's possible to warp the disc which is a sprung hub. The ACT's are.
Flywheel will have some bluing and high spots caused by the heat from launching.
This is where it's better to get a carbon style clutch for life against repeated hard launches.
A carbon clutch is good for a tracked car, but I am pretty sure he daily drives the car as well. You know they wear down quickly in daily driving.

Quick Reply: Do I have a warped flywheel?