Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

What does stock muffler internals look like vs. Magnaflow? Magnaflow Model Questions

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2007, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What does stock muffler internals look like vs. Magnaflow? Magnaflow Model Questions

I have been reading exhaust threads on this board, socalevo, and norcalevo for the past two days now and I can't find anymore info on the following...

-I am having trouble locating pictures of the stock EVO IX muffler internal design. Best I have found is a picture of an Eclipse on RRE's website:

All the air must pass through the small perforated holes in the short pipe in the first chamber. The second larger chamber is more of an echo or Resonance chamber for sound reflection. The exhaust then flows out the pipe to the tip with its own little muffler built into it.
-I have found no image of Magnaflow's oval, offset internal design. Can anyone post a picture or confirm it's internal constructions/baffles with their oval, offset mufflers? People say they are straight through, but that could only be if the muffler had a diagonal pipe inside the muffler from the center opening to the offset opening on the other side. Is this how it is, or it is more like the stock eclipse muffler picture above? Does the oval, offset magnaflow pass the "soda can test?"

-For those that made you exhaust on your own, can you explain why you went an oval, offset muffler vs. Magnaflow's round exhaust? Was it fitment issues? The round wasn't quiet enough? Oval, offset muffler gave better performance? (doubt it, especially if the oval muffler does not pass the straight through "soda can test.")

-I believe RRE Engineering uses a 5x8 oval Magnaflow 18 in. long. (#14259) on their Stealth exhaust system:
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...ne=main&id=613

Other DIY forum members have used the 5x8 oval Magnaflow 24in. long. (12289 or 14251)
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...ne=main&id=614

Why did you pick the 24in?I figure both fit, just the 24in muffles more?
Old Dec 27, 2007, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

The Magnaflow is straight-through, perf-core. There is a diagonal pipe running through the muffler.

Oval bodied mufflers tend to be quieter than round bodied mufflers since there is more room for sound deadening material.
Old Dec 27, 2007, 04:41 PM
Evolved Member

thx for the reply mhgsx, I assume u've seen an oval Magnaflow cut open yourself? Just wondering where u got that info from since I couldn't confirm it for sure in my googling.
Old Dec 27, 2007, 04:44 PM
Former Vendor

ets has a good 4 inch straight thru, or if you like noise like me just get a 3 inch pipe turbo back.. no cat no muffler.

there is prob. not a single pic of the stock exhaust cause no one keeps them on long enough to care.. there mostly all in the landfill.
Old Dec 27, 2007, 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

looking to keep things quiet w/ magnaflow muffler and perhaps some resonators, but wanted to learn more about the magnaflows and stock design first, thx!
Old Dec 27, 2007, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
From the WORKS site.

http://www.worksevo.com/store/produc...products_id=79

Old Dec 27, 2007, 04:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bster13
thx for the reply mhgsx, I assume u've seen an oval Magnaflow cut open yourself? Just wondering where u got that info from since I couldn't confirm it for sure in my googling.
Why would you need to cut it open? Just look into the outlet and you'll see it running diagonally to the offset end. As for your beer can test, it would probably fail since the can won't make it past the "bent" section.
Old Dec 27, 2007, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

ak47po, thx for the links and the legwork, crystal clear now.

mhgsx- never seen one in person, but if it's that obvious when looking at one in person I understand now, and understand about the bend, thx.
Old Dec 27, 2007, 04:58 PM
Evolved Member

now I just wanna know why some of the DIYers opted for the 24in vs. the 18in used in the RRE Stealth setup.
Old Dec 27, 2007, 09:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...t=make+exhaust

magnaflow oval mufflers are straight through. the offset and center outlets have a diagonal pipe running through it. i made my own exhast system because i wanted a quiet exhaust that made power.
for maxium power you want to run at least 3" exhaust system with no restrictions. with no cats and with a muffler that is straight through.

sound and loud ness is 100% dependent on the size of the muffler. when you run large piping and no cat you really need the largest muffler you can fit on the car to keep the sound down.
the reason why most exhaust systems for the evo are so loud is because of the small round style muffler.
oval mufflers in general are larger and are quieter then round style mufflers.
magna flows 5x8x18 is the largest muffler you can fit on the evo and its not super quiet but quieter than any other exhaust systmer made for the evo

the magaflow 5x8x14 muffler that magnaflow uses on the exhaust system for the evo is still too small and and still loud for the evo

i have a magnaflow 5x8x18 on the evo and the sound is moderate.
but i have the magnaflow 5x11x22 on my integra with a full 3" piping with no cat and no resonators and its sounds real good and super quite. much quieter than my evo. i only wish i could fit that muffler on the evo
Old Dec 27, 2007, 09:41 PM
Evolved Member

thx for the reply riceball. A friend of mine uses the 24in oval/offset magnaflow. I may try that knowing it is 3in straight through.
Old Dec 27, 2007, 09:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Bster13
thx for the reply riceball. A friend of mine uses the 24in oval/offset magnaflow. I may try that knowing it is 3in straight through.
Is that on an Evo 8/9?

riceball777 said that 18 is the largest widebody muffler that can fit, but if your friend is using a 24 in. on an evo, then I guess 24 inch can fit...?

Last edited by BluEVOIX; Dec 27, 2007 at 09:54 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2007, 09:51 PM
Evolved Member

evo 8. Where would the difference lie on my EVOIX?
Old Nov 13, 2008, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

Can anyone confirm what the largest oval magnaflow muffler that can fit on an EVO IX is?

18in:
http://www.roadraceengineering.com/p...aflow12259.jpg

or 24in:
http://www.planetmagnaflow.com/shop/...12289-837.html
Old Nov 13, 2008, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This isn't an accurate representation of the stock muffler flow.

There is a flapper right inside the inlet. At idle and low flow rates, the flapper stays closed which forces the exhaust to flow in the direction shown above.

When flow increases, the flapper opens up which dumps the exhaust straight into the front chamber and thru the center tube which flows like this one.

Last edited by EVO8emUp; Nov 13, 2008 at 02:00 PM.

Quick Reply: What does stock muffler internals look like vs. Magnaflow? Magnaflow Model Questions