Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Turbo Problems (I think)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2007, 06:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Turbo Problems (I think)

Ok I'm new here and tried searching to find an answer to my problem but couldnt find it. I just bought a 2005 evo yesterday and on my way home I decided to open it up and see what it could do. I had it up around 100 and I heard a loud pop/bang/highpitched noise that seemed to come from the rear of the car (exhaust I assume). The car started to stutter bad. After that I had to baby the gas pedal to get it to go without jerking around. It seems to happen whenever you step on the gas hard so I assume it has to do with the turbo system (engine not gettin air). My research all pointed to the wastegate. I am going to take it to the dealer but I have to wait till after the new year for it to be open so I was hoping to have it narrowed down by then. Any light anyone can shed on this subject or point me to some usefull info would be appreciated greatly.
Old Dec 30, 2007, 06:49 AM
Evolved Member

New one to me.

JK check your hoses. Those big fat ones.
Old Dec 30, 2007, 06:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What are the mods to the car? Could be boost cut, intercooler pipe blew off, etc.
Old Dec 30, 2007, 06:54 AM

no mods bone stock

forgot to mention last night I did find a small hose had popped off, attached to the wastegate I think (right below the turbo) I reattached it but could that blowin off cause damage?

Just checked. All intercooler hoses are attached tight. One of the hoses is frayed a little on the outside.

Last edited by kwigbo; Dec 30, 2007 at 07:02 AM. Reason: more info
Old Dec 30, 2007, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Does the car have a boost gauge to know at what boost level the event which you are describing occurs?

Most likely the previous owner had installed a manual or electric boost controller which he removed before selling you the car. Either he reinstalled the factory boost lines incorrectly or with the restrictor orifices(boost pills) missing. Since the hose came off the wastegate actuator then they could be all loose or improperly routed.

Best bet is to return the boost control system to stock configuration. To do this purchase a new factory boost/vacuum line assembly from the dealership for $17.00 It comes preassembled, and precut to length. It also includes the required preinstalled boost pills and "T"'s.

Remove the air filter box to make sure that the factory boost solenoid is still there and if not buy a new one. Connect your new boost/vacuum line assembly, securing each fitting with zipties. Search and refer to pics , diagrams and how-to threads on these forums for install guidance. Happy New Year
Old Dec 30, 2007, 07:35 AM

Sparky there is no boost gauge in the car.

Thanks very much for the suggestions.

I did some snoopin around I noticed that the bolts that hold the airbox in are missing. Also there is a scoop coming off the left airbox that is missing.

Is this the factory boost solenoid?

Last edited by kwigbo; Dec 30, 2007 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Investigated suggestions
Old Dec 30, 2007, 04:12 PM
Evolving Member

^^^ That would be the stock boost solenoid.It looks like it has been tweaked a bit im sure it was moved for piping or a mbc.
Old Dec 30, 2007, 04:15 PM
Evolved Member

Id say I/C piping or check the coupler on the BOV might have poped off if its a cheap bov on the car. I'm sure they stuck a stocker back on it.
Old Dec 30, 2007, 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

Simple IC pipe blowing off - nothing wrong with the turbo. You need to first make sure everything is connected properly in the boost system (boost control solenoid, wastegate actuator, turbo nipple, and all stock boost hoses), then you need to do a boost leak test to find the leak(s). You can't proclaim the IC piping to be fine just because they are "attached tight." That is no way to check IC piping other than ensuring you have no hoses/pipes completely disconnected, but that's not enough to ensure something isn't coming loose under high boost pressure.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by sparky
Best bet is to return the boost control system to stock configuration. To do this purchase a new factory boost/vacuum line assembly from the dealership for $17.00 It comes preassembled, and precut to length. It also includes the required preinstalled boost pills and "T"'s.
Anyone know a part number for that? I've been lookin since yesterday and have not been able to track it down. I went to the dealer and they had no clue what I was talking about when I asked for it and the diagrams they were showing me sucked.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

Please search - it has been posted many times (multiple times by me personally). You can get it from Mitsubishiparts.net quickly for about $15, but if your dealer has it in stock, that would be even quicker (and worth the extra few bucks probably).
Old Dec 31, 2007, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

P/N 1632A117, I think(?)
Old Dec 31, 2007, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

If you have a local Evo buddy with the stock boost control setup in place then visually reference it before installing, or else go to the dealer's lot and pop a hood. Otherwise, there are tons of threads with pics of the properly installed factory boost/vacuum line assembly.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sparky
P/N 1632A117, I think(?)
Yes, that's it.