Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Installed Oil Cooler Fan: Pics Inside. Cost:$94 Benefit:10-15 degree drop

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2008, 01:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Installed Oil Cooler Fan: Pics Inside. Cost:$94 Benefit:10-15 degree drop

Well I have been thinking about doing this for a while and I finally did it. Believe it or not, I only found 2 threads speaking about this. One guy did it but used a pusher fan instead of a puller fan and the other thread was mine

Background: I wanted a way to cool my oil cooler on demand with additional air while still retaining a stock look with stock parts at an affordable price. I found a fan that spal sold that was cheap and small enough to fit in the area behind the oil cooler and it flowed enough air to make it worth while. The fan I found pulls 313cfm of air which impressive for a fan that small. Also, choosing the puller type fan is important so that you don't block the oil cooler.

Ok so here it is: (Pictures are attached below)

The stock dimensions of our stock oil cooler are 6'' x 5'' x 1/2''
The fan in this picture is Spal's 5.2'' puller fan. Part# 30103011. It costs $67.95.
http://www.spalusa.com/fans/automate...52_paddle.html
It is located under their atv/motorcycle fans section

One suggestion: I recommend calling them and ordering it over the phone. Their website at the moment only has the "push" type fan available to order online. So be sure and call them so that you get the right fan.

This is the switch I control it with. The other one is just a dummy switch. My '05 did not come with fog lights or HIDs so I put these in place of the blank block off plates.

And I have my gauge cluster here from 42 draft designs to monitor my oil temps.

Cost: $67.95 for the fan + $8 for the switches + $8 for misc. things like wire and connectors etc + $10 for shipping = About $94.

Benefits: When driving in town with the fan switched on, I have not yet reached oil temperatures above 200 degrees. They stay right around 198 or so which I think is perfect. This is also a good cheap mod for those of you who autocross. RPMs are high and the car is no moving very fast, so the extra air flow helps out. $94 compared to $500 for a new Greddy cooler for this car is a good cost saver.

Should I put this in the write up how to section?
Attached Thumbnails Installed Oil Cooler Fan: Pics Inside. Cost: Benefit:10-15 degree drop-dsc00507.jpg   Installed Oil Cooler Fan: Pics Inside. Cost: Benefit:10-15 degree drop-fan-20resize.jpg   Installed Oil Cooler Fan: Pics Inside. Cost: Benefit:10-15 degree drop-switches-20resize.jpg  

Last edited by 98autogstspyder; Jan 3, 2008 at 04:27 PM.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good mod! Yes, pls post the write up.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

Am I missing something or can I NOT see the switches?

Cheers-
E
Old Jan 2, 2008, 02:05 PM
Evolving Member

The switches should be the second picture.

They come up on my computer. Are the pics not showing?
Old Jan 2, 2008, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

I cant see the 2nd pic either.

This is an excellent write up though. Its interesting that none of the track guys use this as I would think you would want to keep the oil from over heating.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 02:18 PM
Evolving Member

These are the switches. Can you see it now?
Old Jan 2, 2008, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

Pics dont work host using Flickr
Old Jan 2, 2008, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
the only thing i can see is the pic of the gauges.

overall not a bad idea and somewhat of cheap insurance to maintain your engine life. cool big
Evolved Member

Interesting idea, man seriously. At a certain MPH though, aren't you just hindering rather than helping the cooler? I understand it pulls the air in, but I doubt it can keep up with the incoming air when traveling at high speeds. And don't you want to keep the oil at normal temps? You don't want to cool it too much, right? Educate me, I'm just curious as I really think this is a good idea.
Evolving Member

track guys dont really use it because it actually disturbs the flow of air at higher speeds..
Old Jan 2, 2008, 02:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Thegame
Interesting idea, man seriously. At a certain MPH though, aren't you just hindering rather than helping the cooler? I understand it pulls the air in, but I doubt it can keep up with the incoming air when traveling at high speeds. And don't you want to keep the oil at normal temps? You don't want to cool it too much, right? Educate me, I'm just curious as I really think this is a good idea.
our cars have a thermostat for the oil so they dont really go down too much while the car is on..
Old Jan 2, 2008, 02:28 PM
Evolving Member

Oil fan

none of the track guys use this as I would think you would want to keep the oil from over heating.
We do. Problem (or lack of) is that Evo's have extremely stable oil and water temps, even in stock form. I have seen 130C on my oil temp gauge once (normally 110C max at the 4 different tracks I visit), but this was on a 100F day with near 100% humidity. I think in general, power loss starts to occur around 140C (oil temp). The issue I've been working on with some of the local track junkies around here is tranny fluid cooling. A few of us are trying to get tranny coolers installed before next season. I personally think this is a much bigger weakness than Evo's oil cooling. Remember; oil is cooled, pressurized and cleaned before returning to duty, tranny fluid sits there and suffers with none of this.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
i don t see the pictures. can you do something about it? and the write is help too.
thanks Rob
Old Jan 2, 2008, 02:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
i don t see the pictures. can you do something about it? and the write is help too.
thanks Rob
I think I got it to work

Last edited by 98autogstspyder; Jan 2, 2008 at 03:01 PM.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 02:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by moreryce
our cars have a thermostat for the oil so they dont really go down too much while the car is on..
You are correct about the thermostat. Like I said, I have experienced a 10-15 degree difference with the fan on. I think the thermostat is around 180 degree. With the fan on during normal driving conditions the temps are now 195 instead of 210. You don't want to overcool the oil which is why there is a thermostat. I believe anything around 190-205 is optimal oil temp.

When I get off the highway, the temps are usually around 230-240. The fan cools the oil down much quicker also.

Its a cheap mod that helps, I think.

Last edited by 98autogstspyder; Jan 2, 2008 at 02:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Installed Oil Cooler Fan: Pics Inside. Cost:$94 Benefit:10-15 degree drop