Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Shifter linkage issues, need help ASAP

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2008, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shifter linkage issues, need help ASAP

I did a little searching around and didn’t find anyone having the same problem as me.

Before I begin, I'll list off my supporting Mods that may affect the problem.
1.)Exedy triple ceametallic HD clutch
2.) Kartboy shifter bushings

Jan 2007 I bought my clutch off a fellow member locally. Didnt have much time this year, so I ended up doing 1 track day a couple Auto x's

Around July I was driving and all of a sudden when the shifter was in gear it became very loose but still stayed in gear. I stopped at a light, light changed green so I went and as I shifted out of 3rd into 4th, the linkage felt like it broke and I was stuck in 3rd gear. I tried shifting into neutral, with no luck. It was apparent that the car was stuck in 3rd although I could only move the shifter in 3rd and 4th but not actually shifting the car. Had it towed to the dealership. Got it back the next day, service manager said the cotter pin in the shifter linkage broke off. No biggie I guess. Was charged because I had after market kartboy bushings....gayness. W/e

Nov 2007
Same thing happened except the linkage was just loose, drove it a few days and was still very loose but nothing like the first incident happened. Took it to the dealership once again. They made an adjustment, (service guy says they tightened a bolt on the linkage) didn’t charge me.

Today
Few days ago the shifter was loose once again while in gear, WTF! I didn’t have enough time to take it in right away and I was just going to look at it myself this weekend. On my way home from work shifting into 2nd, the linkage is stuck into 2nd gear. While shifting out of 2nd I could feel a slight snap in the shifting process, I assume coming from the linkage itself.....maybe that pin broke once again. Luck was on my side, I was 5 mins from my house and just drove it home in 2nd gear.

I’ve had 5th gear syncro problems since I’ve owned the car, when shifting into 5th I can hear the syncro's miss match (best way to describe it) but it still goes into gear.

I'm at a loss right now and all I can do is look at the linkage to see what I can find. I'll keep checking the thread every 30 mins to see if someone can help a fellow evo guy out. I have a feeling the 5th gear syncro issues may be the culprit
Old Jan 3, 2008, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So the pin keeps snapping? Does it go stiff before it snaps or just lets go without warning? How is the smoothness of your shifting. Maybe a fluid change might make it a little smoother and not apply so much pressure on the bushing. I would say if you had the metal bushings that it is just getting stuck but this is not the case. Very weird.
Old Jan 3, 2008, 04:08 PM

yes indeed. well i found the problem and the cotter pin didnt snap, but its bent back; letting the shifting cable? off. Cheap design if you ask me. I still think I'll missing something. I took a picture, just waiting to get it in my email. I'm not technicaly savy when it comes to automotive but I do have a general Idea of how things work once I get my hands dirty
Old Jan 3, 2008, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

I would recommend putting the stock bushings back in and seeing if that fixes the problem. It is cable driven so it really doesn't have enough stress to snap the pin off or even bend it.
Old Jan 3, 2008, 05:39 PM

I would if I had them But it appears as if I am missing a bushing and a washer. Used a cotter pin as a temp fix until i come up with something better.
Old Jan 3, 2008, 09:08 PM
Evolved Member

do the kartboys reuse the washers? I know the metal ones don't.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 12:26 PM

They reuse the washers

I've got everything resolved

Missing one of the bushings as expected. But that still doesnt explain why it broke the cotter pin in the first place

thanks for all the help
Attached Thumbnails Shifter linkage issues, need help ASAP-att00001.jpg  
Old Jan 11, 2008, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

well if it kept moving up and down from so much play then the force that it had bent the pin.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by RevMoto
well if it kept moving up and down from so much play then the force that it had bent the pin.
Yea i can see that but that would only happen if only one bushing was left off leaving so much play. How would it have come loose if both bushings and washers were on. Thats where I'm confused about
Old Oct 10, 2010, 04:37 AM
Evolving Member

Sorry for bumping this back but the same thing happed to me, same clutch and everything i have buschur bushings and before that i had some custom made but the cotter pin keeps snapping off with both sets.

my car actually stuck its self in reverse am assuming because i was driving and the car skidded to a stop and wouldn't come out of gear even when i clutched in checked under the hood and the linkage flew off again

bump from the grave btw