Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

EX POWER INC EVO 8 mani/downpipe. Any good?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2008, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question EX POWER INC EVO 8 mani/downpipe. Any good?

Hi I'm thinking of putting a turbo kit together for my Evo and don't really want to pay $4K or more if I can help it. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the following manifold and downpipe from XS Power INC?

This is the website http://xs-power.com/mitsubishi/mitsu011.html

Here is the listing on the website above:

EVO 8 mani/downpipe

* EVO VIII 2003 "BLURR" TURBO MANIFOLD / DOWNPIPE

50mm Phat Runners

"OUR SETUP IS JUST AS IMPRESSIVE"

(1) 50mm Super " BLURR " Turbo Manifold

SPECS:

T3/T4 TURBO Flange

Made of 321 Stainless

Lifetime Warranty

Tig Welds Throughout

35 or 38 MM Wastegate Flange

Guaranteed Happy or 100% Refund

(1) 4 bolt Turbo Downpipe for T3 OR T3/T4 TURBOS

Bolts to Turbo and connects to Exhaust.
Stainless steel 2.5" diameter - tig welds

$130.00
INCLUDING SHIPPING - USA

Now $130 shipped is a ridiculous cheap price. I suspect that this is a case of "if you pay peanuts you get monkies" but I could be wrong and this could be the deal of the decade.

I suspect that this manifold....

1) Is a mass produced item from country such as Taiwan or China.
2) Is made of inferior grade stainless, thin walled tubing.
3) Has poor welds with bad penetration and maybe pin sized holes.
4) Is a poor fit and may require "shop tweeking".
5) Has limited research and design in terms of fluid flow.
6) Has little or no testing or proven track record in terms or reliablity.
7) Is likely to crack and need replacing soon after fitment.

Now that's what I'm suspecting based on a guess solely judged arround the price. Maybe it is a good manifold that's cheap because it's mass produced in another country but is as good as manifolds costing over $1000! Wishful thinking I know but lets see if anyone has any experience that will prove my assumptions wrong.

What I'd like to know i:

A) Has anyone bought this manifold?
B) How did it fit?
C) What setup do you run using this manifold?
D) How long have you had it fitted?
E) Has it cracked yet?
F) What dyno figures have you seen with this manifold?
G) Would you recommend it?

Now I'm not interested in people who have comments that have not had any experience with this manifold. Please do not post comments like "crap manifold" "cheap rubbish" "it will crack" etc. I want facts and peoples experience with this manifold setup. Again please do not post opinions without facts or experience!!

Thank you in advance and I look fwd to peoples responses.

Karl
Old Jan 4, 2008, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

Sorry the title is labeled incorrectly it should read "XS POWER INC EVO 8 mani/downpipe. Any good?"

My bad - can a Moderator please correct.

Thanks
Old Jan 4, 2008, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The downpipe will be fine and their exhaust products will be fine. A lot of people run downpipes/exhausts from them that are usually purchased on eBay. I think that most people have had bad experiences with the manifold, as it is prone to cracking. However, if they really do offer a lifetime warranty then it might be worth it, especially for that price.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

experience??? here it is...

We ran that manifold and downpipe on our car and it went 9.9 and made 856whp. Woulda went a better time but we had absolutely no traction.

The manifold DID crack 3 times and the downpipe DID rub something under the car. We had to burr so excess material inside the header and weld over the cracks. We eventually got it to not crack. The downpipe did rub on the ACD T-case but we eventually went to an 8 style t case and it didnt rub anymore.

It goes like this, you get what you pay for. We never tested it back to back against another header so I cannot say if it made the max power but it didnt seem to hold us back. I guess if your not too picky about little issues and you dont mind having to take it off a few times to fix it then go for it. If you like things right and perfect the first time, buy a name brand manifold. I strong suggest ETS, Buschur (shearer) or AMS, not in any particular order
Old Jan 4, 2008, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

I read through their ad and saw that it is only a 2.5" which isn't big enough. You will want a 3" TBE.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Steve@TopLevelAuto
experience??? here it is...

We ran that manifold and downpipe on our car and it went 9.9 and made 856whp. Woulda went a better time but we had absolutely no traction.

The manifold DID crack 3 times and the downpipe DID rub something under the car. We had to burr so excess material inside the header and weld over the cracks. We eventually got it to not crack. The downpipe did rub on the ACD T-case but we eventually went to an 8 style t case and it didnt rub anymore.

It goes like this, you get what you pay for. We never tested it back to back against another header so I cannot say if it made the max power but it didnt seem to hold us back. I guess if your not too picky about little issues and you dont mind having to take it off a few times to fix it then go for it. If you like things right and perfect the first time, buy a name brand manifold. I strong suggest ETS, Buschur (shearer) or AMS, not in any particular order
Great reply thank you!
Old Jan 4, 2008, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by McDougal
I read through their ad and saw that it is only a 2.5" which isn't big enough. You will want a 3" TBE.
I already have a AMS TBE and RMR 3" downpipe.

Does anyone know if my downpipe would mate up to this manifold?

Last edited by Kins; Jan 4, 2008 at 09:00 AM.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by McDougal
The downpipe will be fine and their exhaust products will be fine. A lot of people run downpipes/exhausts from them that are usually purchased on eBay. I think that most people have had bad experiences with the manifold, as it is prone to cracking. However, if they really do offer a lifetime warranty then it might be worth it, especially for that price.
what good is a lifetime warranty if it cracks every month and you have to keep sending it back???

Originally Posted by Kins
I already have a AMS TBE and RMR RMR 3" downpipe.

Does anyone know if my downpipe would mate up to this manifold?
No your downpipe would not work because you downpipe has a 2 bolt flange facing up to the pass side and it bolts to the bottom of your o2 housing

that downpipe comes all the way up and has a 4 bolt flange facing the driver side because it bolts right to the Garret style turbo

-Steve
Old Jan 4, 2008, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Steve@TopLevelAuto
what good is a lifetime warranty if it cracks every month and you have to keep sending it back???

No your downpipe would not work because you downpipe has a 2 bolt flange facing up to the pass side and it bolts to the bottom of your o2 housing

that downpipe comes all the way up and has a 4 bolt flange facing the driver side because it bolts right to the Garret style turbo

-Steve
Ah that's ghey. I guess that rules this manifold out. I'm happy with my exhaust setup and don't want to downgrade to a crappy 2.5" downpipe.

Would my RMR downpipe bolt up to a AMS or Buschur turbo kit or would I hit a similar problem?

I also agree that if it cracks all the time the lifetime warranty is useless.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by Kins; Jan 4, 2008 at 08:57 AM.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kins
Ah that's ghey. I guess that rules this manifold out. I'm happy with my exhaust setup and don't want to downgrade to a crappy 2.5" downpipe.

Would my RMR downpipe bolt up to a AMS or Buschur turbo kit or would I hit a similar problem?

I also agree that if it cracks all the time the lifetime warranty is useless.

Thanks for the help.

no your downpipe will not work with an AMS kit. The AMS kit comes with a downpipe that only bolts to their exhaust. The buschur tubular kit comes with its own downpipe which will bolt to a stock location test pipe, or you can get one from them. Same with the ETS tubular kit. The buschur cast manifold kit comes with an 02 housing that will bolt to your downpipe. If you want to purchase an ETS kit or buschur kit to work with your stock downpipe, shoot me a pm, we sell both.

-Steve
Old Jan 4, 2008, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Ah I've gotacha. Looks like I'll have to do away with the RMR downpipe. I think I'm just going to end up buying a AMS turbo kit. I have an AMS TBE and highflow cat already and they are only 9 miles away from me. I don't want to spend that much money though.... urrrgh.

I think I'm going to keep a look out for a used AMS3076R kit.

If anyone has one or knows of one forsale shoot me a PM.

Thanks for your help Steve.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

I dont think you people under stand. The FLANGE is 2.5 for the turbo the piping is almost 3" piping ive measured it and i geuss im going to have to post a pix too.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 10:44 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kaonashi
I dont think you people under stand. The FLANGE is 2.5 for the turbo the piping is almost 3" piping ive measured it and i geuss im going to have to post a pix too.

dont even bother... some people will never understand that a t3 gt35r turbo has a 2.5" OUTLET which is why the downpipe has a 2.5" FLANGE but it is full 3" piping....

fwiw.. I know someone with a 35r kit and that manifold that has been running great for 5k miles and another person on a 50trim that has been running it for 3k without any problems

a good idea before using it would be to clean as much of the inside as you can, try to brace the turbo so the full weight of it isnt sitting on the manifold and the most IMPORTANT thing to do is make sure the flange that goes to the head is perfectly flat... usually when the flanges are welded they tweak somewhat and need to be made flat to insure no exhaust leaks .
Old Jan 4, 2008, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaonashi
The XS downpipe is 3! Wahoo OK it's back on!

Last edited by Kins; Jan 4, 2008 at 11:02 AM.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PURE EVIL 8
dont even bother... some people will never understand that a t3 gt35r turbo has a 2.5" OUTLET which is why the downpipe has a 2.5" FLANGE but it is full 3" piping....

fwiw.. I know someone with a 35r kit and that manifold that has been running great for 5k miles and another person on a 50trim that has been running it for 3k without any problems

a good idea before using it would be to clean as much of the inside as you can, try to brace the turbo so the full weight of it isnt sitting on the manifold and the most IMPORTANT thing to do is make sure the flange that goes to the head is perfectly flat... usually when the flanges are welded they tweak somewhat and need to be made flat to insure no exhaust leaks .
Thanks Pure Evil 8. I got your PM too. I have a welder that could do the bracing work you recommend. He does supra manifolds mainly. He has a jig so when he welds the pipes to the flange the flange stays flat. I'm not sure if he then skims the flange after welding. Lastly he sends them off for coatings.

I think I might buy this manifold and downpipe, and have it modified. I'll keep everyone posted with my progress.

For $130 it's worth a gamble.

Last edited by Kins; Jan 4, 2008 at 11:05 AM.

Quick Reply: EX POWER INC EVO 8 mani/downpipe. Any good?