Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Recommended Code Reader?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2008, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by evogrl
actually i am a female and i don't own anything but my evo just want the best when it comes to fixing my car

Girls with Evo's are hot.
Old Jan 5, 2008, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
got it at autozone for 35- then you have it in your hands and not waiting to ship
Old Jan 5, 2008, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
in all honestly i don't trust the lower level ones my friend is using a pep-boys code reader and always gives him the wrong codes me personaly i use the Matco determanator it's a shop level raderd but well worth the 4k i spent on it
In all honestly, there is simply no way a reader could be worth $4000 for personal use. That is roughly 100 times as much as you should be paying to read and clear a code on your car. If you are using it professionally to make money, then MAYBE... I'm also not sure how a code reader would pull the wrong codes? It's not like it's diagnosing a problem, it's simply conveying the information that's stored in the car already.

Sorry for the long response here, but I'm 100% perplexed why anyone would think that was a rational purchase? Unless you are simply bragging about your ability to throw money in the trash?

If the code reader read the code, diagnosed and found the problem, fixed it, put in a new turbo for you, washed and waxed your car, and gave you a back rub it STILL wouldn't be worth $4k!

BTW, it's spelled "determinator"...
Old Jan 5, 2008, 09:26 AM
Evolving Member

well it's a good thing you like blondes cause i'm a brunet nice try pal
point was, if you bought a 4k unit, or would even try to lie to us about having a unit that cost 4k you would have to blonde and not very bright lol

i didnt literally mean a "smart blonde"

let me break it down to you.. its called sarcasim

two people standing out in the rain. one guy says to the other "hey you think its gonna rain today?" other guy says " no way, clear skies"

Cheers! lol
Old Jan 5, 2008, 09:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Kins
Girls with Evo's are hot.

theyre usually butch

Originally Posted by scottatayamaha
^I guess that means he is not getting your myspace address???

damn scott, looks like we're still going to be leaving those stripper big tips and asking for happy endings... i thought i had one for us this time

Last edited by SlowSportSedan; Jan 5, 2008 at 09:33 AM.
Old Jan 5, 2008, 12:32 PM
Evolving Member

depends on what scanner this person bought. i am dying to get a 5 grand scanner. but it is not just a scanner it does way more than that. it can actually go in and diagnose what is wrong and tell you where to find the solution and fix it. So 4 grand for a decent scanner is useless unless you know how to use it......or are a techy like myself
Old Jan 5, 2008, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

back to match.com
Old Jan 5, 2008, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SlowSportSedan
theyre usually butch

damn scott, looks like we're still going to be leaving those stripper big tips and asking for happy endings... i thought i had one for us this time
Let me do the talking next time...lol
Old Jan 5, 2008, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

I got one a few years ago for like $150 and it's been great!!!! Although it won't read my wife's codes- she has an 07' Mazda Cx-7 ?????
Old Jan 5, 2008, 02:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mymigi
depends on what scanner this person bought. i am dying to get a 5 grand scanner. but it is not just a scanner it does way more than that. it can actually go in and diagnose what is wrong and tell you where to find the solution and fix it. So 4 grand for a decent scanner is useless unless you know how to use it......or are a techy like myself
Honestly, how many problems is your car going to have that need to be diagnosed by a piece of equipment that expensive?

And problems that would even actually cost more than $5000 just to be taken somewhere to be fixed, thereby justifying the price? Again, if you were using the unit to work on cars daily, professionally, to earn money then it's worth it - otherwise there's no way it's performance could justify it's price. The Evo Shop Manual can also tell you how to take apart and diagnose every nut and bolt on the car, for a fraction of the price. Basically, we're talking about a $4000 scanner to find a $100* problem.

It's like losing a penny and buying a $1000 metal detector to find it...

*$100 amount used for illustrative purposes only.
Old Jan 5, 2008, 11:31 PM

just cause you guys like to go cheap on your tools doesn't mean everyone does why spend almost 30k on a car and use cheap tools to fix it if you can afford the car them you must be able to buy good tools to fix it buying cheap tools is like buying cheap parts you get what you pay for might work for the mean while but will only last 6 months
Old Jan 5, 2008, 11:38 PM
Evolving Member

lol, what does your 4k scanner do, which im not sure actually exists, that a normal priced one doesn't?
Old Jan 5, 2008, 11:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 520hpsti
lol, what does your 4k scanner do, which im not sure actually exists, that a normal priced one doesn't?

it came with a year supply of weed and has a built in vibrator.... duh
Old Jan 6, 2008, 12:59 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Kins
Thanks for all the reply guys and gals!

I do have a laptop but it's my work laptop. I can install stuff on it but I don't think my IT guys would be to happy should it need to thake it in for repair/ upgrade and they find a code reader on there. LOL Otheriwse I'd be all over the laptop software and lead.

The software and cable driver are no big deal. I doubt your IT guys would even realize that those items are installed. Scan Tech is pretty nifty. I use it whenever I need to look at CELs or ODB-II performance.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 06:26 AM
Evolved Member

just cause you guys like to go cheap on your tools doesn't mean everyone does why spend almost 30k on a car and use cheap tools to fix it if you can afford the car them you must be able to buy good tools to fix it buying cheap tools is like buying cheap parts you get what you pay for might work for the mean while but will only last 6 months
Here's the beauty of what you just said: If you buy a scantool that "works for the mean while but will only last 6 months" (for example) and you pay $100 for it, you can replace it every 6 months for 20 years before you've spent $4000!

Just because you can afford to buy something doesn't mean you should. Most wealthy people have money because they don't waste it on things that simply aren't necessary for that particular application. Some folks just don't like buying a $30000 car and then shelling out another 13% of the value of that car on something that can be had for virtually free. Even paying a shop $100 to diagnose a problem that you can't figure out yourself, you'd need to have 40 MAJOR problems with your car to justify that cost. Now unless you're a professional racer, or you're taking apart and rebuilding every part of your engine by hand almost daily, there's no way any regular Evo owner is going even come close to that!

Look, if you want to waste money, nobody is stopping you. Clearly you've made your mind up that you should have that equipment. I'm sure you're a salesman's dream ("But you NEEEED this!!!"). Essentially you're saying every diagnostic tool that everyone else on here has that costs less than $4000 doesn't work, including just going to an experienced shop. You're also saying that your car has so many problems that need to be fixed that $4000 is a legitimate investment to figure out what them problem is on your own. Then, you still have to pay more money to actually fix the problem.

I say let the shops spend the $4000 on a Determinator, and let me spend my $4000 on upgrades for my car. By the way, most sites I saw list the Determinator at about $1200, and the software at about $500...

Last of all, I think $4000 could more than pay for some writing classes at the local community college... just sayin'

Quick Reply: Recommended Code Reader?