Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

When is a FP regulator needed?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2008, 07:05 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by kjewer1
You have to be very careful when using HP numbers to rate a fuel pump though.
Correct. I should have caveated my statement to specify that the figure I quoted pertains to what is typically reported for typical boost pressures using an EVO with a GT35R, C16, and factory wiring. YMMV, but this is an idea of what to expect and when.

Originally Posted by EvoTech
I think since getting to 600 wHP will only be for a matter of seconds on the spray, I will just re-wire the pump and add a FP regulator and maybe a Ken Belle boost a pump. When I start running out of fuel it is time to step down to a smaller jet. ... Would love to hear more from Ted B about why you think a stock FPR is fine at any level. Have you done any testing on this? Can it really keep up pressure with 30 or 35 PSI? My concern is the cracking presure of the 1000cc injectors and associated response time.
A few notes . . .

- Rewiring the pump and especially giving the pump its own dedicated ground increases the voltage at the pump by nearly 0.5V, which can be significant in terms of pump capacity.

- The demand on the pump at 500whp + 100hp of N2O won't be as great as the demand of 600whp (no N2O and all else being equal), because the rail pressure of the 500whp+N2O car will be less.

- As I indicated previously, an injector sees the same pressure difference at 35 psi boost pressure as it does at 0 psi. This is what a rising rate FPR (like the one on any turbo car) does.

- I based my statements regarding using the factory FPR and rail upon examples presented in this forum over the past few years.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
EvoTech: Does your Pruven fuel rail adapter have a port for running a fuel pressure gauge?
Old Jan 13, 2008, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sparky
EvoTech: Does your Pruven fuel rail adapter have a port for running a fuel pressure gauge?
Yes. It atually has 2 ports. It is a nice clean way to get fuel if you are running nitrous. I took it out however and went to a dry shot.

Ted B. Thanks again for the help. Lets say for example I added an inline fuel pump. Do you still think that in this scenario that the factory FPR will be OK with the added pressure. I am thinking along the lines of idle problems. I just don't want to be so close to the edge without a margin for safety.