Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

help with valve springs and retainers...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2008, 07:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help with valve springs and retainers...

hi guy's

so i bought some jun 272's for my evo 8 mr

what springs and retainers are compatible with these? i been told that evo 4/5/6 retainers would work, but better goin with somethin else

would these work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Brian...3096QQtcZphoto

help me please
Old Jan 7, 2008, 07:18 PM
Evolving Member

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that you should upgrade your springs and retainers if you are running those. Why didn't you buy the Jun springs and retainers? I am running Jun springs and Brian Crower retainers with my BC 280s and they are holding up like a champ. I think you should be alright with BC springs and retainers.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 03:12 PM
Evolving Member

any1 else got an opinion???

or any1 else used that ebay company???

please help me!
Old Jan 21, 2008, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

dude, you should just get buschur racing's dual spring kit. cheap and quality. its a complete set!!!!!
https://secure.buschurracing.com/cat...d889b70f4a851a

its what i got! or go with JUN genuine springs to suit your JUN cams!
Old Jan 21, 2008, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

Brian Crower makes the least expensive single coil springs and retainers.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

i would go duals for the price vs the single. its only 80 more! i've gone through that ebay dealer. it's good and very honest. i ordered my eagle rod/wiseco piston combo through them.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 04:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You must upgrade the springs and retainers to use JUN 272 cams. Dual springs are a very good choice in this case, it's one of the reasons Buschur and AMS for instance use them in their race heads.

I can tell you from first hand experience that stock springs will allow the valves to float with JUN cams. A friend had complete misfires at 7000+ rpms every time. It first started out as a light hesitation to all out car falling on its face and basically stalling during WOT. Once he got the dual springs and I installed them with a friend the car ran perfectly.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 04:29 PM
Evolved Member

^^i was just about to say that also...
Old Jan 21, 2008, 04:38 PM
Evolved Member

Off topic but which would be better for the Cosworth 272's? Dual or Single Spring? Several members mentioned that with the dual springs, the valve seals had to be replaced whereas with the single spring they just drop right in...
Old Jan 21, 2008, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

you're gonna have to replace the valve seals if you go with a set that comes with new seats. to get the old seats out, u need to take out the valve seals...personally, i would just replace them anyways and get a dual set with seats and retainers. buschur has the best set! they dont come with new valve seals though
Old Jan 21, 2008, 04:41 PM

someone told me you had to take the head off to change the valve springs, any truth to that?
Old Jan 21, 2008, 04:56 PM
Evolved Member

yes and no

u can do it with the head on..but very risky as for small parts getting into the block through oil passages/holes plus you need compressed air to hold the valves up

i would reccomend doing it with the head off the car. u need a good tool to get the springs off and on. i would recommend a top mount valvespring tool
Old Jan 21, 2008, 04:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
You don't have to pull the head. I've had the valve train all apart with the head still in place.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RedLanEVO
yes and no

u can do it with the head on..but very risky as for small parts getting into the block through oil passages/holes plus you need compressed air to hold the valves up

i would reccomend doing it with the head off the car. u need a good tool to get the springs off and on. i would recommend a top mount valvespring tool
And to add to this its very tedious and can become frustrating getting the keepers on properly. This was the method the car owner opted for to save money and we explained the risks involved and if anything goes wrong the head gets pulled and it's done the "safe" way.

In car is not really hard but there is a risk factor you must be prepared for if something does go wrong.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
You should stuff shop cloths in the oil drain back holes. But if you should loose a keeper down one of these holes it is only going to become pan trash. So, the only danger that I know of is dropping a valve into a cylinder and that is not going to occur if you use the rope trick. You can't get the keepers off if the valve doesn't impact the rope.

Quick Reply: help with valve springs and retainers...