Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Stock clutch vs. Aftermarket... longevity

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2008, 02:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock clutch vs. Aftermarket... longevity

If I am understanding correctly, a stock clutch on an EVO VIII, IX or whatever US spec model EVO is junk. They do not last long and cannot take much abuse before they crap out... am I correct? I hear the life expectancy of one (on average) is between 20-40,000 miles (if you are gentle). I was wondering, how much life one could expect out of say an exedy clutch? With a mixture of spirited street driving, calm street driving an occasional track visits (road course and maybe once in a great while just to see where the car is at... a 1/4 trip). I am not talking a full race clutch, I am talking about the most flexible (street,track) How much does this part go for and what is the expected labor cost for installing it? Thanks
Old Jan 11, 2008, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Clutch life is all dependent on the driver. I purchased my evo 8 used with 13,500 miles. It now has 72,000 on the same stock clutch. I've never tracked my car but have launched it a bunch of times for fun and practice. I am now installing an ACT HDSS clutch on Tuesday (if the clutch arrives on time!).

There are plenty of people on here who have launched their evos on the stock clutch many times and still had them survive for many miles afterwards. I don't think our clutches are 'junk' but they do wear out when abused and or used aggressively on a repetitive basis (as any stock clutch would).

Regarding which clutch to get, most will steer you towards the Exedy Twin Disc....if you can afford it. There are plenty of threads on clutches on this forum to help you decide which clutch to consider when you are in need of a replacement.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 02:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverShadow03
Clutch life is all dependent on the driver. I purchased my evo 8 used with 13,500 miles. It now has 72,000 on the same stock clutch. I've never tracked my car but have launched it a bunch of times for fun and practice. I am now installing an ACT HDSS clutch on Tuesday (if the clutch arrives on time!).

There are plenty of people on here who have launched their evos on the stock clutch many times and still had them survive for many miles afterwards. I don't think our clutches are 'junk' but they do wear out when abused and or used aggressively on a repetitive basis (as any stock clutch would).

Regarding which clutch to get, most will steer you towards the Exedy Twin Disc....if you can afford it. There are plenty of threads on clutches on this forum to help you decide which clutch to consider when you are in need of a replacement.
Is that the recommended clutch for all around use? How much is that puppy?
Old Jan 11, 2008, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Like I said...there are a ton of threads on clutches...it just seems every one I have read asking for a recommendation always seem to lead towards the ACT and Exedy Twin Disc.....Tilton, Cusco are other excellent clutches...just search and read up on the multiple clutch choices you have available to you.