Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

How I'm spending my tax return

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2008, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How I'm spending my tax return

I've had my MR for 3 months now and it's completely stock (except swift springs and a perrin shorty). I should be gettin a pretty decent tax return and I'm thinkin bout voiding my warranty so here's the mod list:

AMS TBE w/hi flow cat and CEL fix, Apexi intake and induction box, Forge MBC, boost gauge (don't know which one, any suggestions?), and Topspeed tune.

Should run me about 2G's. What do ya'll think? Anybody runnin these mods?
Old Jan 11, 2008, 10:46 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is the car paid off? If so I'd probably apply that cash towards your payment, but since thats not the question I'd suggest going with a less expensive exhaust.

I've also been a big fan of Defi for gauges.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 10:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you wont need the CEL fix if you running AMS's hfc as I am now. However, I will be putting my testpipe back on soon before I go to AMS for a tune. Then I plan on doing the cheap 5 dollar spark plug fouler fix. I love the AMS Full 3" exhaust. Good Luck with your purchase
Old Jan 11, 2008, 11:03 PM
Evolving Member

check out pro sport gauges if you're looking for a boost gauge, way cheaper than any Defi and have had pretty much nothing but positive reviews.

Also, i'm running similar mods as you can see in my sig, also check out the megan tbe..i'm pretty sure you can get it for half the price of the AMS tbe, true 3 inch exhaust, save 500 bucks spend it elsewhere, any additional hp gains the AMS tbe has are not worth the extra 500 bucks...and believe me its a difference of a handful of whp at best
Old Jan 11, 2008, 11:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I only know defi gauges, and I like them very much. Im not a big fan of the Link-system and just use their standalones. What about some form of wideband O2? I dont think I saw that on your list of things, you probably need one of those before a tune, unless your really trustworthy. Just a thought.

Oh yeah, for exhaust/instake stuff, check out ExtremeTurboSystems.com, great products, great fit, awesome price. They are getting to be a really-really well respected company around here.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 11:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
For $2000, I would get

catless TBE exhaust ($1000)
ebay O2 housing ($100)
wideband ($200)
JDM MAP ($150)
Boost gauge ($100)
EvoScan ($25)
OpenPort Cable ($90)
Walbro 255lph pump ($75)
K&N drop in ($60)
Trip to the dyno before & after ($200)

If you're not comfortable learning to tune yourself, then you can get help for short money from e-Tuners.

Last edited by recompile; Jan 11, 2008 at 11:33 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 11:34 PM
Evolved Member

How about a used turbo kit?
Old Jan 11, 2008, 11:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by EvoHung
How about a used turbo kit?
His car is stock.. he's a long long long long way from a turbo kit my friend
Old Jan 11, 2008, 11:39 PM
Evolved Member

Hey man! I saw you were in GA. You might want to check out Dyno4mance instead of Topspeed for a tune. They do great work with much better customer service. I had them re-tune me for 91 octane (moved to NV) and I couldn't be happier. They are even working with me to fix my tune via email due to the altitude change. If you want more details about Topspeed and Dyno4mance feel free to PM me! List looks good BTW.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 11:44 PM
Evolved Member

When the hell do we get our tax returns? Sorry I'm 19 and I forgot when I got mine last year. Imma get defi gauges and a snow performance meth kit with mine. And I'll buy a preorder ticket for the orbital v2 kit.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 11:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ShamelessCookie
His car is stock.. he's a long long long long way from a turbo kit my friend
Thats true. I just thought I should throw that out there, since hes going to want to upgrade that turbo one day anyways, I think.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 11:52 PM
Evolving Member

Dude who cares about miti warranty. They got the dumbest people working there might as well mod your car. They don't warranty nothing at all. Go with the ams tbe and there drop in filter save you mone on the intake just get any mbc and get some defi blue gauges. Get some cams too it help you out.
Old Jan 12, 2008, 01:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Tvwj
Dude who cares about miti warranty. They got the dumbest people working there might as well mod your car. They don't warranty nothing at all. Go with the ams tbe and there drop in filter save you mone on the intake just get any mbc and get some defi blue gauges. Get some cams too it help you out.
True... that and the dealerships in GA are pretty crappy.
Old Jan 12, 2008, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If it were me I would ditch the AMS TBE for another less expensive brand. I would also skip the intake, go with a drop-in, and spend that $ on something else like cams.
But thats me...
Old Jan 12, 2008, 07:04 AM
Evolved Member

Hikaru I see your in the Atlanta area also, I also recommend Dyno4mance over Topspeed heard a lot of problem storys. Also I would add a downpipe to your list.
If you need any help installing these items PM me. I have helped many Evo owners in the Atlanta area and would be happy to help you at no charge I just love working on my Evo and helping others do the same.

Quick Reply: How I'm spending my tax return