Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Apexi Air Intake Install Question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2008, 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Apexi Air Intake Install Question

So let me start off by saying that this is the first car i've ever modified. And So my experience in this area is pretty limited....

So onto the question, the Apexi kit comes with two L brackets: one long, one short, one angled bracket to support the IC piping, and another bracket to hold solenoid/boost looking thing directly under the airfilter(excuse my ignorance as to its proper name). So, I went about installing it, with Japanese instructions, and the solenoid item they picture has two screws that it attaches with, but mine had a single screw. So I bent the bracket out and added a center hole, now there is no tension on the hoses and it sits well, with the exception of a tab, which I may later drill a smaller hole to accommodate. So after I modified that buisiness, I tried to use the brackets they provided to support the airfilter, but they rammed the filter into a corner and bundles of cables, and I needed to screw them on under such tension, that it was nearly impossible to do without removing all sorts of stuff so I could really grip it.
I didn't use the L brackets, because I felt they were too hard to install and seemed to jam the filter in a corner. Right now the filter just lays in there unsupported, just laying in the bay. It wiggles a bit, but I don't see any problem with that, and I think all cables and the cone aren't in danger of making contact with anything they shouldn't. But as I am so new to all of this, I want to make sure.
Now if you are lazy and stopped reading, or are skimming, here comes the important part that I want to make isn't a big mistake.... So the question... Is it okay to just install the airfilter, its adapter plate, solenoid bracket, IC bracket, and leave it resting in the engine bay?

PS: If this belongs in newbie, so be it. But please don't tell me to search, because I have.

Thanks,
Dave
Old Jan 12, 2008, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had one with the stock turbo, and did not use any of the brackets and all was fine! so you should be straight
Old Jan 12, 2008, 07:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I couldnt tell precisely what you were saying the whole time, but did you uninstall the black bracket that is on the car under the airbox? After that the silver bracket should bolt up to the car which has holes for the 2 L shaped brackets, leaving the cables that were clamped to the black bracket to sit free on the side. And for the record, it should be ok to install like you have it, as long as you got the ic pipe bracket on there, that is the most important. In some of the other threads about this filter a lot of people mentioned that they left off some of the equipment, I managed to get it all in there though.