Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Which oil

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2008, 07:10 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by asianfury01
i knew that mitsu recommends mobil b/c they got some sort of deal. however, i didnt know they were switching to group III oils. does this mean i should reconsider what oil im using? my bad, cloudy.
That choice is up to you. Personally, I like the Amsoil. It may be slightly more than the Mobil upfront but it last 2x. So in the long run its also cheaper.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 08:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone have any actual proof that Mobil1 switched to Group III? I've been searching on forums for the last few years and haven't found anything concrete. For all we know it could be just a very well travelled rumor.

Mobil1 clearly states on their website that their regular synthetic uses PAOs which is a characteristic of a Group IV:

Is Mobil 1 with SuperSyn Technology a fully synthetic motor oil?

Yes, it is. To meet the demanding requirements of today's specifications (and our customers' expectations), Mobil 1 with SuperSyn uses high-performance fluids, including polyalphaolefins (PAOs), along with a proprietary system of additives. Each Mobil 1 with SuperSyn viscosity grade uses a unique combination of synthetic fluids and selected additives in order to tailor the viscosity grade to its specific application.
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...il_1_FAQs.aspx

I would think Mobil would not go out of their way to state this and it not be true, especially in our age of lawsuits and what not.

One more thing: I think an actual oil analysis is a good indicator of performance. Here's an Evo owner who sent in samples to Blackstone after using Amsoil and Mobil1 and found similar wear results:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=102173

I think Amsoil is an excellent product, but I've been using Mobil1 for years with great results and will continue to do so.

Last edited by sleeper3; Jan 13, 2008 at 08:41 AM.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 08:50 AM
Evolving Member

no oil is fully synthetic...they all have regular base oils in them...i use mobil 1 10w30...doesn't burn off at all between oil changes....as long as u break your car in right like the manual says keeping it below 5k on the rpms.....if i didn't use that i would use castrol syntec.....of course the more expensive oils are probably better if you race alot and mod alot but my evo is just a daily driver so it makes sense just to use what mitsu says to use

on a side note....i used regular castrol gtx oil (non synthetic) in my toyota truck i had...lasted 300k miles and is still going....engine life is more about the design of the engine, how you drive, and how often you change the oil rather than if your using castrol, mobil 1, amsoil, or whatever...any of these oils are fine to use...just avoid the really cheap oils...synthetic oils are better of course cuz they provide better pretection from wear and you can change the oil at longer intervals...which is why it makes sense to use synthetic...it's just better..main thing for the evo is just stick to 10w30 synthetic like the manual says

Last edited by kilgoja; Jan 13, 2008 at 09:07 AM.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

People really forget to put into account not just "my toyota truck last so and so long on this oil" blah blah. You cannot compare the 2. Especially how i previously stated depending on how I said how much HP/racing you do.
You think I am going to Anti-Lag launch on Mobil 1 synthetic? Hell no. No oil may be "fully synthetic" but Motul is pretty much as close as you can get. It will not break down or turn to water once it gets very hot like most other oils. Thats what people are forgetting, not only do you not want your engine to burn up oil super fast, but you do not want it to turn into water once it reaches a certain temp. If it starts to become watery, you lose all that lubrication, and if you lose that, well have fun spinning bearings.
If you just daily drive the car, beat on it every now and then, Amsoil or Royal Purple is fine for you. Just watch the oil level, and change it every 3k miles. If you really race it or have alot of HP, I would say dont **** around and treat your Evo the best with all of Motul. (300V for engine).
Old Jan 13, 2008, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I'm sure Mitsubishi makes a few yen for putting a Mobil 1 logo on the oil filler cap. It is just advertising folks. Still, it is not a bad idea having a reminder somewhere under the hood that the recommended oil is synthetic.

By the way, the only reason Mitsubishi recommends synthetic over regular oil is because of the turbo. They don't want the turbo being oil starved due to coked oil in the oil line. Otherwise, dino would be fine.

Since Mitsu is wanting us to use an oil that can withstand high temperatures without coking I suggest someone come up with some figures for this if they wish to claim one oil is better than another.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

Actually not true. The turbo isnt the oil reason they recommend synthetic.. Mitsu expects Evo's to be driven obviously harder then most cars. Driving hard = more heat. More heat = quicker breakdown of most oils. Do you know how you spin bearings? Over Rev, and lack of lubrication. Lack of lubrication = too much oil breakdown from excess heat.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by cloudy
If you just daily drive the car, beat on it every now and then, Amsoil or Royal Purple is fine for you. Just watch the oil level, and change it every 3k miles. If you really race it or have alot of HP, I would say dont **** around and treat your Evo the best with all of Motul. (300V for engine).
I just bought my first evo a month ago and I probably fall into the 1st category... daily drive it and every now and then I'll beat on it but I don't push it hard and I don't track it. That said my question is should I be changing at 3k miles like you stated or 5k like it says in my owners manual? as far as type of oil is conserned I went with mobil 1
Old Jan 13, 2008, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by stev08
I just bought my first evo a month ago and I probably fall into the 1st category... daily drive it and every now and then I'll beat on it but I don't push it hard and I don't track it. That said my question is should I be changing at 3k miles like you stated or 5k like it says in my owners manual? as far as type of oil is conserned I went with mobil 1
You can do 5k, but just watch the levels consistently. I would recommend Royal Purple. I have seen some cases after 2-3k miles, royal purple breaks down alot faster then it did before. So watch it.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 02:40 PM
Evolving Member

Amsoil. Period.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 04:16 PM
Evolving Member

People really forget to put into account not just "my toyota truck last so and so long on this oil" blah blah. You cannot compare the 2. Especially how i previously stated depending on how I said how much HP/racing you do.
You think I am going to Anti-Lag launch on Mobil 1 synthetic? Hell no. No oil may be "fully synthetic" but Motul is pretty much as close as you can get. It will not break down or turn to water once it gets very hot like most other oils. Thats what people are forgetting, not only do you not want your engine to burn up oil super fast, but you do not want it to turn into water once it reaches a certain temp. If it starts to become watery, you lose all that lubrication, and if you lose that, well have fun spinning bearings.
u obviously didn't read all of my post.....i said if you just dd your evo then use mobil 1 or castrol...i said if your modding or racing then you probably need to use motul or whatever

if you mod and race and rev the rpms to 7k+ every shift ur gonna have problems no matter what sooner or later
Old Jan 13, 2008, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

I didnt quote you because I wasn't referring to your post. Your post just simply gave me the example of truck thing.
I believe even if you just DD the thing, I still wouldnt use Mobil 1. Cause even if you DD and just beat on it every now and then. Mobil 1 will break down faster then say other better fully synthetic brands. I am no means saying you need Motul for just a DD evo.. but Iam saying dont cheap out and get Mobil 1. Spend the extra dollar for something a little better.
The evo is a higher performance, higher maintenance car. Even if you just DD it.
By all means put Mobil 1 in some truck or Honda Civic, but once again.. not the evo.

Last edited by cloudy; Jan 13, 2008 at 05:15 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

Actually not true. The turbo isnt the oil reason they recommend synthetic.. Mitsu expects Evo's to be driven obviously harder then most cars. Driving hard = more heat. More heat = quicker breakdown of most oils. Do you know how you spin bearings? Over Rev, and lack of lubrication. Lack of lubrication = too much oil breakdown from excess heat.
Actually I think synthetic is recommended only because of the turbo. If the engine wasn't turbocharged dino oil would work fine in a 4g63 and any high revving engine. Its the trubo that suffers from coking and its the turbo that puts the extra heat into the engine and cooling system. Many high revving engines from the 80' and 90's ran fine with regular oil including motorcycle engines.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 05:55 PM
Evolving Member

that's funny...i wonder why mitsu recommends it...i think they know it will be fine
Old Jan 13, 2008, 06:23 PM
Evolving Member

mobile 1
Old Jan 13, 2008, 07:31 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rashoodi
Is it synthetic?
WOW are you serious? Dude, what the hell are you doing driving an EVO for?

Quick Reply: Which oil