Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Which oil

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2008, 11:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which oil

Hi everyone. I was wondering what type of oil i should use in my 06 evo 9. Thank you
Old Jan 12, 2008, 11:23 PM
Evolved Member

10w-30 mobile one just like the owner books says and your oil cap.
Old Jan 12, 2008, 11:27 PM

Is it synthetic?
Old Jan 12, 2008, 11:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mobile 1 only comes in synthetic.
Old Jan 12, 2008, 11:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by rashoodi
Hi everyone. I was wondering what type of oil i should use in my 06 evo 9. Thank you
Do us all a favor and check this out.....https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/search.php.....
Old Jan 12, 2008, 11:59 PM
Evolving Member

Why would you want to go to a different oil than what mitsu uses? use the 10w30 synthetic just like your oil cap says..you cant miss it. I know this was already mentioned but i just wanted to reinterate. Even i know that and i drive a 95 huffy. Ten speed.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 12:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
u dont' have to use what mitsu says as far as motor oil. They *recommend* 10-30 syn. mobile 1.

Royal Purple
Amsoil

u can try a differen weight to.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 12:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rashoodi
Is it synthetic?
Serious dude? Sometimes I think dealerships should give people an introductory lesson to performance car when they buy it. Just in case a total newb like this gets in one and dosn't know what to do.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 12:35 AM
Evolving Member

amsoil is suppose to be amazing..... but it might just be hype like the forge mbc...

every1 bought it and had spiking isssues and its really touchy...

who knows if its actually better, or hype....
Old Jan 13, 2008, 12:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoHung
Serious dude? Sometimes I think dealerships should give people an introductory lesson to performance car when they buy it. Just in case a total newb like this gets in one and dosn't know what to do.
Actually Mobile 1 isnt fully synthetic. And I would not recommend it. If you have a lower to stock HP evo and do not race it often, it isnt as dependent or picky on what oil. But once you start making alot of power and racing alot, I would recommend better quality oil like Motul (dont cheap out, get the '300V').
Other possibilities are Eneos, but from what Ive seen with Eneos, its a 500-1000mile type oil.. It is only meant to be driven for those amount of miles, after that turns kinda.... watery?
Royal Purple is the next below Eneos. I would still recommend Royal Purple over Mobile 1 anyday.

Last edited by cloudy; Jan 13, 2008 at 12:50 AM.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 02:50 AM
Evolving Member

I've seen alot of negative opinions on the Royal Purple on this forum. Something about it degrading too rapidly. Amsoil is a good choice too if you don't ming spending 57.00 for 6 qrts.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 03:08 AM

I use the German Castrol Syntec 0w30. It quieted down the lifter tick, and reduced oil consumption vs mobil 1. It is known to be a very good oil. I used it on my STI and had the same results.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by cloudy
Actually Mobile 1 isnt fully synthetic. And I would not recommend it. If you have a lower to stock HP evo and do not race it often, it isnt as dependent or picky on what oil. But once you start making alot of power and racing alot, I would recommend better quality oil like Motul (dont cheap out, get the '300V').
Other possibilities are Eneos, but from what Ive seen with Eneos, its a 500-1000mile type oil.. It is only meant to be driven for those amount of miles, after that turns kinda.... watery?
Royal Purple is the next below Eneos. I would still recommend Royal Purple over Mobile 1 anyday.
i dont know how u got to think that mobil1 isnt full synthetic. it says full synthetic right on the label. dont see any reason for them to lie to us seeing that that would be false advertisement.

if u want to strongly recommend royal purple thats fine, but dont go out and start rumors that mobil1 isnt a full synthetic.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 05:14 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
lol - knowledge is you friend...Mr. Fury

Really Mistu recommends weight...they throw Mobil 1 on there because Mobil gave them a kick back.

Mobil 1 is not a PURE synthetic anymore they use Group III bases. They can market as one be as one by some loop holes. But its mostly hype.

This thread explains it well:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=232827

In short:
Originally Posted by whohat
ive been reading on other forums that mobil 1 is switching from group IV base oils to group III. for those of you who have no idea what this means...

Group II - Modern Conventional Base Oils

Base oils made by hydrocracking and isomerization technologies had such a signifigant increase in desirable performance over solvent refining technology that in 1993 the API categorized base oils by composition. Solvent refined oils are now referred to as group I base oils. Group II base oils are a vast improvement over group I because they contain lower levels of impurities. Because they are so pure, they have almost no color at all. Improved purity means the base oil and additives can last longer under use. The oil is more inert and forms less oxidation byproducts that can increase viscosity and react with additives.

Group III - Unconventional Base Oils

The API defines the difference between Group II and III base oils only in terms of V.I., viscosity index. Base oils with conventional V.I. (80-119) are Group II and base oils with an "unconventional" V.I. (120+) are Group III. Group III base oils are also called unconventional base oils (UCBO's) or very high V.I. (VHVI) base oils. Group II+ base oils have the same maximum V.I. as Group II (80-119), but have a higher minimum V.I. (110-119).

From a process standpoint, Group III oils are made by the same process as Group II oils, but the V.I. is increased by increasing the temperature of the hydrocracker. The product V.I. can also be increased by increasing the V.I. of the feedstock. Which is done by selecting the appropriate crude.

Group IV - Traditional "Synthetic" Base Oils (PAO)

"The word "synthetic" in the lube industry hase traditionaly been synonymous with PAO, poly-alfa-olefins, which are made from small molocules. The first commercial process for making PAO was pioneered by Gulf Oil in 1951. In the 1960's, Mobil patented an improved process. In the 1970's, Mobil began to market their product as 'Mobil 1'.

Since then, the demand for PAO has grown and some base oil manufactures began using higher V.I. feedstocks to make mineral oils with V.I.'s that matched the PAO's. These new Group III oils were not manufactured from small molecules like traditional synthetics but they bridged the performance gap at a lower cost. Some lubricant manufactures began replacing PAO's with Group III base oils in their "synthetic" engine oils. This created a controversy in the lubricants industry because some believed that PAO's were the only true synthetics.

The National Advertising Department of the Better Business Bureau ruled that Group III base oils can be considered "synthetic" because modern oils made using hydroisomerization technology have most of the same performance features of the early synthetics.

more info...
http://theoildrop.server101.com/foru...t=1&vc=1&nt=14
so yeah bummer. id like to keep using pure synthetic and wondered what other group IV synths people have been using. so far im leaning towards elf.

I use Amsoil 10w-30. I have been using this oil now for over 30k. I run 10k between oil changes. Amsoil states it can go longer, however I race her a bit. So I change for piece of mind. But I have seen this oil tested at 5k mark and it came back as - good as the day it went in.

Some comparisons between the two:
http://www.synthetic-oil-tech.com/d...._vs_mobil1.htm

PM OilDoc on here - he also has a good wrap around all of this.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 05:39 AM

i knew that mitsu recommends mobil b/c they got some sort of deal. however, i didnt know they were switching to group III oils. does this mean i should reconsider what oil im using? my bad, cloudy.

Quick Reply: Which oil