Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

tdc mark anyone??

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2008 | 01:48 PM
Evolving Member

tdc mark anyone??

k this things confusing the hell outta me...we put my cams in and noticed there were 4 marks and we set it to the closest to the front of the car (1 the after "T") and it thru a code timing advanced...i was curious to which one to set it to...the 4 notches go

(starting from closest to firewall)
blank-btdc 10-blank-T

we have it set at T and its to much...

help would be greatly appreciated....
Old Jan 13, 2008 | 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

UHHHH 4 marks can you take pic both my valve cover only had 2 marks and 1 mark on each cam gear.
Old Jan 13, 2008 | 02:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kaonashi
UHHHH 4 marks can you take pic both my valve cover only had 2 marks and 1 mark on each cam gear.
4 marks on the timing cover behind the crank pully and 1 mark on each cam and valve cover
Old Jan 13, 2008 | 02:29 PM
Evolving Member

IIRC the T is the correct spot to set the crank to. The crank doesn't line up quite right with the T when the cams are lined up (dot to arrow), but the crank pulleys mark is close. If you are "lined" up with the T at the crank and the cams are lined up, you may have skipped a tooth on the crank gear when installing cams. Did you remove T-Belt cover during install? It a PIA but you really should remove pulleys and cover when installing cams. To me the consequences are too severe. Pull the cover and see if you line up. Check the "gulp" balance shaft belt while you're at it. Not sure, but I wonder if the code could be related to the camshaft position sensor. All I know is that the sensor determines where TDC is on startup.
Old Jan 13, 2008 | 02:34 PM
EvoM Guru

FWIW, the crank angle sensor determines the crank position. The cam sensor determines which cylinder is getting fuel.
Old Jan 13, 2008 | 02:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by FuelsResearch
IIRC the T is the correct spot to set the crank to. The crank doesn't line up quite right with the T when the cams are lined up (dot to arrow), but the crank pulleys mark is close. If you are "lined" up with the T at the crank and the cams are lined up, you may have skipped a tooth on the crank gear when installing cams. Did you remove T-Belt cover during install? It a PIA but you really should remove pulleys and cover when installing cams. To me the consequences are too severe. Pull the cover and see if you line up. Check the "gulp" balance shaft belt while you're at it. Not sure, but I wonder if the code could be related to the camshaft position sensor. All I know is that the sensor determines where TDC is on startup.

all the marks line up...the mark on the crank are on the T and the marks on the cams are lined up w. the lines on the valve cover..

we did NOT remove the timing belt cover during install
Old Jan 13, 2008 | 02:57 PM
Evolved Member

I dont use the covers at all use the marks on the block and on the gears themself.
Old Jan 13, 2008 | 03:02 PM
Evolving Member

ok i guess maybe ill pull those off .. and have a look at that
Old Jan 13, 2008 | 03:15 PM
Evolving Member

The marks on the cover can be correct while the Timing belt has skipped. Definitley pull the cover.
Old Jan 13, 2008 | 03:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kaonashi
I dont use the covers at all use the marks on the block and on the gears themself.

so whats the dif. between the marks on the block then the ones on the timing cover they should be the same so how would we kno where TDC is w. either marks??
Old Jan 13, 2008 | 03:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evoboi005
so whats the dif. between the marks on the block then the ones on the timing cover they should be the same so how would we kno where TDC is w. either marks??
The marks on the engine's oil pump are to set mechanical timing, the marks on the timing cover are to check/set ignition timing.
Old Jan 13, 2008 | 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TalonTuner4G63
The marks on the engine's oil pump are to set mechanical timing, the marks on the timing cover are to check/set ignition timing.
the gears have Arrows like and oil pump has a metal arrow facing the crank pulley that has a arrow. so basically what he said just make sure they "ALL" line up.
Old Jan 13, 2008 | 03:32 PM
Evolving Member

i am throwing two does well really 3 .... p0011 twice and p0106 < which i found in the list of codes in the sticky but dont really know what would cause it and p0011 Camshaft position actuator A- bank 1 timing over advanced..which bank is "A"??

Last edited by evoboi005; Jan 13, 2008 at 03:36 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2008 | 03:32 PM
Evolving Member

so we cleared the codes this after noon started the car up sounded fine drove it around the block nothing over 3k light throttle ... then it threw two (3) codes again the p0011 twice and p0300 random miss fire .... so it looks like im going to be doing my timing belt hopefully i haven't killed my valves any good write ups to follow for a newbie doing a timing belt or trying to get it back in right place
Old Jan 14, 2008 | 04:58 PM
Evolved Member

this is what you have to do if you mess up!

AND ALSO REMEMBER TO ALIGN THE OIL PUMP! TURN THE OIL PUMP AND YOU WILL NOTICE THAT SOMETIMES THE ALIGNMENT MARK ON IT WILL WANT TO ROTATE TOWARDS THE ALIGNMENT MARK ON THE BLOCK...AND SOMETIMES IT WONT. ROTATE IT UNTIL THE ALIGN MARK WANTS TO ALIGN WITH THE MARK ON THE BLOCK. THAT IS THE CORRECT OIL PUMP ALIGNMENT! VERY IMPORTANT!

Last edited by RedLanEVO; Jan 14, 2008 at 05:01 PM.

Quick Reply: tdc mark anyone??