Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

IX 100whp tune plugs?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2008, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske
I would keep the stock plugs gapped at the stock setting. No need to upgrade.

Even guys running high boost 20Gs keep the stock plugs.
You don't need colder plugs until you start really cranking up the boost...
Old Jan 16, 2008, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

Well you really can't go wrong with the stock plugs. They are very very reliable and great quality. IMHO I think you should stick with those.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
STOCK!!!

I have am even running with meth and 26psi and 385whp on the stock plugs for 20,000 miles now! No need for them unless you are going large.

I even gave one step colder plugs to my tuner, and he said it wasn't necessary. Stick with stock!
Old Jan 16, 2008, 02:29 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
out of curiosity who is your tuner?

not saying he doesn't know what he is doing but the stock IX plugs are very capable plugs for your power level
Old Jan 16, 2008, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Ever heard the saying if it ain't broke don't fix it? That's how you should treat the plugs on your nine.

Ask your mechanic/tuner why they recommend a change if you aren't having problems.

Most people look for new plugs or gapping when they detect detonation or misfiring. There's no rule of thumb that says for every 100 whp gain you should drop a range. That would come from someone with old school mentality and probably shouldn't be wrenching on your EVO.

Running too cold a plug will cause fouling. Many times fuel will form deposits on the tip eventually gunking it up. The tip must be hot enough to burn away any fuel residue from attaching to the metal of the electrode tip. For those of you already running colder plugs you should pull them and see if they are carbon'd up.

If you want to attempt to see gains from plugs you should look into indexing them. Indexing is a "free mod" that can increase power, throttle response & fuel economy if done properly. The idea is to face the OPEN END of the spark plug electrode TOWARDS the intake valve(s). This theoretically increases the flow of air/fuel mixture to the area between the electrodes, making a stronger explosion and burning more of the mixture. There are multiple dyno charts showing benefits, although there are also naysayers to this "mod".

Indexing the right way takes time and is a trial and error thing with multiple plugs but I do it to all my race cars. I can't tell a difference but at least I did my part.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
+1 Except indexing is old school too. There is some information somewhere that dictates to look at the threads of the plug. Apparently, 4 threads discolored up the plug is good and 5 is too hot, and 3 is too cold. I may be off by a thread, but it goes something like that.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 05:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm on stock plugs. They work just fine for me and the power level I'm at.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 06:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Stock plugs, end thread
Old Jan 17, 2008, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dsmjeffro
get the copper plugs for the ix from bushur racing there awesome & only 20 bucks
Buschur sells reg. copper plugs for the IX? What brand are they..... I didn't even know anyone made a copper replacement for the IX's
Old Jan 17, 2008, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

you dont need plugs. I run race gas 30 psi fine with the stock plugs. No break up, misfire, etc..
Old Mar 18, 2009, 07:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EgoBstr
Right, the census on here is to keep the stock plugs, which I would prefer, but my gut says if the guy tuning my car asks for the colder plugs give them to him!
How about this scenario. I put the colder plugs in for the tune and if in the future it starts to run bad change them to the stockers. Would I need a retune for this? Also, a lot of people have said that I do not NEED the colder plugs, but will it hurt to use them (Except the back pocket of course).
+1 to any insight on this? I have colder plugs and car is running like a three legged dog.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 09:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ohhh this is an argument

i changed to stock plugs to Denso Iridiums IKH24s (stock gap) all i got is a 3" TBE and a tune on my IX.

its up to you, i switched cause i needed new plug anyways.

there is a good thread somewhere on plugs and when to change.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 09:16 AM
Former Sponsor

485whp and stock plugs here. Never once had a problem.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey diiirk, I think a cooler fuel i.e E85 or C/Q 16 can be a deciding factor on proper plug choice.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 10:37 AM
Evolving Member

LOL, I love this thread. Just call your tuner and ask why be wants to run a colder plug. I have run both stock and one step colder in the car, however even at higher boost levels
I have never experienced any problems. Try the good old Copper NGK stock heat range. They're cheap enough you can buy a box and change and change em every 3,000 miles. Someone help me out here as I can't remember the plug numbers.