Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Possible Boost Leak from BOV?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2008, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BC= Bryan Crower, peak tq at around 6krpms? no adjustable cam gears,
for the mbc side port is set to WGA, bottom port to compressor housing. Nothing else is connected to these lines.
Here is scenario, driving on highway going 70 MPH, I slam 5th gear, car starts to stutter, i hear fluffing noises coming from driver side, eventually noise stops and car takes off in constant acceleration.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Camphasing
so, from what i can take, this is normal operation, and under W0T the car will not leak boost through the BOV. The reason for the stutter is due to the bov opening during partial throttle in order for the maf sensor to read correctly.
It doesn't really do it "because of" or "for" the MAF sensor. This should not happen at all under WOT, but under partial throttle accelleration, yes, it is normal for the BOV to open and close. Under partial throttle there is a pressure difference between the IC pipes (pressure side of BOV) adn the intake manifold (vaccum side of BOV). Even though you are making boost there is a little pressure difference and this can cause the BOV to open and close rapidly to try to equalize this pressure difference. Usually (not always) this is not felt through the drivetrain as bucking, but if the pressure difference is great enough then you can feel the car buck back and forth.

Does this sound like what you are experiencing??
Old Jan 16, 2008, 07:35 PM

yes, it does sound like what am experiencing, like the bov shuts and then the acceleration smooths out.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Camphasing
BC= Bryan Crower, peak tq at around 6krpms? no adjustable cam gears,
for the mbc side port is set to WGA, bottom port to compressor housing. Nothing else is connected to these lines.
Here is scenario, driving on highway going 70 MPH, I slam 5th gear, car starts to stutter, i hear fluffing noises coming from driver side, eventually noise stops and car takes off in constant acceleration.
Yeah, that doesn't sound right at all! That sounds like true compressor surge, but the stock turbo should never do that with your mods. You normally see that on a GT35 when you try to go full throttle at 2500 rpms. . .

Also, normal peak TQ on a stock turbo should come in between 3500 and 4500, depending on cams and dyno. 6K is WAY too high! I would really bring these issues up with your tuner. Something sounds messed up . . .

EVOlutionary
Old Jan 16, 2008, 07:40 PM

dont quote me on the peak tq #s since i dont have the dyno sheet in front of me. Tomorrow, i will to by the shop and see what they think. thanks for all your imputs.