Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Spark plug causing Backfire or is it my TUNE?!?!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2008, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Evo9"Miss Rose"
since everyone thinks im an complete idiot and OEM is the way to go if you read my post i wanted to get OEM first and since they didnt have them in stock i went with aftermarket.. the gap was at .030 Evo Recommend .020-.023.. i re-gaped them to .021, Test drove till operating TEMP. then got on it no more backfire. Geez you would think i can get a little postivie feed back but i guess nothing changes here. My CAR runs like a CHAMP
Dude the plug isn't the right length.......your plug is about a 1/4" shorter than its supposed to be, its the wrong plug.

Your using a 3/4" threaded plug when you need a 1.04" thread length for the IX. They can still work but your plug isn't sitting where its supposed to and could cause complications down the road.....order the right ones, throw those away and do the right thing.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
woulnd't it be a Law-suit if companies sold these plugs that would damage are cars???? down the road.

Last edited by Evo9"Miss Rose"; Jan 18, 2008 at 11:51 AM.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

there not only the wrong length, u bought some no name sparkplugs on a high compression high psi turbo'd car and u wanted it to run right....

its something i'd do on my beater civic...
Old Jan 18, 2008, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by travman
Dude the plug isn't the right length.......your plug is about a 1/4" shorter than its supposed to be, its the wrong plug.

Your using a 3/4" threaded plug when you need a 1.04" thread length for the IX. They can still work but your plug isn't sitting where its supposed to and could cause complications down the road.....order the right ones, throw those away and do the right thing.

since the plugs are Wrong size i guess Pepboys can get sued since the plugs there selling over the table can damage are Evo am i hearing this right?!!? Or the plugs i got are operable but our cars doesnt respond correctly to them down the road am i right!!?!? well im not trying to give anyone a headache ill get the OEM plugs since i dont wanna ruin my EVO. well i guess thats that
Old Jan 18, 2008, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

No Pep Boys doesn't give a crap......I worked there in College, lol.

If you do the research and see that the stock plug is 26.5mm reach and what you put in is a 19mm reach. I dont care what that company says those aren't the right plugs for our cars....They are right for the VIII though which use the 19mm plug length. Hence why we cant use the std. ngk plugs the VIII guys can use.....

Look at my previous post, those are the plugs that work on the IX and are made for the IX......
Old Jan 18, 2008, 11:59 AM
Evolving Member

get stock plugs
Old Jan 18, 2008, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

Other than NGK and Denso all the plugs I have found just assumed they work in the VIII and IX and show them to be the same so you cant trust them at all.....Obviously they did no research and just released the product thinking mitsu didn't change a thing.

Buy them from sparkplugs.com....way cheaper than the dealer and the exact same plug.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mifesto
there not only the wrong length, u bought some no name sparkplugs on a high compression high psi turbo'd car and u wanted it to run right....

its something i'd do on my beater civic...
you mean low compression high psi.. well i, done arguing i gaped the plugs that were over gaped and it fixed my problem soo that was my problem and i fixed it. But since im now aware the the plugs are 1/4 shorter obiously they are gonna work but there not sitting right then the OEM plugs causing problems down the road. im going to get OEM's something i wanted to get in the first place. and i dont want to ruin my car soo i guess ya'll helped me thanks i shall be gettting OEM's even if i post 722x im learning something new everytime even if its a NEWB question and i should already know this answers but **** happens sorry for giving everyone a hard time i guess i should SEARCH MORE peace out ya'LL

Last edited by Evo9"Miss Rose"; Jan 18, 2008 at 12:11 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

When you get the correct plugs take those and the ones you got at pep boys back and show them the thread length is different and they indeed sold you the wrong plugs and demand your money back....

but since they are used you need to take the new ones you get and show as proof that they are not right and they will not work and you will probably get your money back.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

got store credit and ordered OEM. and called it a day!!! thank EVOM
Old Jan 18, 2008, 03:36 PM
Evolving Member

no problem, all me.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

actually high compression for a turbo car.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 12:29 PM
Evolving Member

low compression turbo'd sorry man.
thats why you LOWER the compression when you boost a car to run higher boost safely. dur dur durr.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

LOL @ what eventually happened...
Old May 17, 2008, 08:45 PM
Evolved Member

19'd

Originally Posted by Evo9"Miss Rose"
got store credit and ordered OEM. and called it a day!!! thank EVOM
I guess you went back with that store credit.

Quick Reply: Spark plug causing Backfire or is it my TUNE?!?!