Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

drop-in build @ 70k+ miles?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2008, 05:41 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LOL!!!!! Bearings!!!!

David was kidding man!!!

On the engine, I would say you can't tell till you take it apart. It is dependent on what you find.

Sean
Old Jan 21, 2008, 05:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sean@Iveytune
LOL!!!!! Bearings!!!!

David was kidding man!!!

On the engine, I would say you can't tell till you take it apart. It is dependent on what you find.

Sean
I thought David was serious and that is what he does to every motor?

I even made my own video to show how i clean my bearings
Old Jan 21, 2008, 05:47 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by davidbuschur
redlanevo, thanks, I appreciate your support! For some of the other comments:

Morons...............

p.s. I could have tossed you a sales pitch for pistons too........I didn't because at 70k miles just dropping them in is not a good idea.
i dont know David some Plp dont seem to get,,,,,, this is like Pre Engine 101,,, just straight comon sence,,meaning that 70k its just obviouse that the cylinder walls have been weared and teared and by droping a set of new pistons wont cut it,, they wont seal propperly posibly causing to much blow by and many other problems with a boosted motor......

friction causes wear and tear on any material and engines creat lots of friction, its the engines worst enemy,,,,,, if we could only get rid of friction
Old Jan 21, 2008, 05:53 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Again it depends on what you find when you open it, you have 70k and you have beat up 70k.

Sean
Old Jan 21, 2008, 06:18 PM
Evolved Member

yeah thanks everyone. i am still pulling the pistons and rods to find out if its still good. i know the rings are not going to seal because of the glaze but was thinking of honing it down a little to deglaze but deglazing like that is not a good idea too. i know...but taking out the engine is a job. any shortcuts anyone know of? i had a hard time trying to do my clutch...now the engine also requires removal of tranny too..and tips would be good as i am now thinking of selling my new piston set and getting .10 over pistons and have the local machine shop do the honing and hot tanking. of course it is too cold to do it now as i am in MN winter! its been under negative temps this whole week..gotta wait till spring
Old Jan 21, 2008, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jezefink
pull the motor dont do it half *** by pulling the head off and dropping in pistons and rods..even if you decide to hone in the car..still brakleen doesnt clean nearly as well as a hottank..you will probably need the crank polished and balanced too...pulling the motor isnt so bad just do it the right way once and then u wont have a headache later..
dont go to ams or buschur ...there are plenty of machine shops that can do the job just the same..for ALOT CHEAPER..

.plus check out buschurs polishing bearings video youtube..type (david buschur)...i know i dont want that done to my bearings lol (skuffed up)
i know ams and buschur are great but since i live a little too far, i will just go with a local shop. dont get me wrong, i dont have confidence in a local shop as much as i do if i were going to have buschur do it..only if i lived closer. im the kind of customer that would be watching the whole time if i dont have confidence in them! ahhah i know its annoying, yes. this is gonna be one long build...

i believe buschur and ams would have the same price as a local shop here as i just need it honed down and hot tanked because i would have taken out the motor myself. i am a tech, u know..but the evo just takes a lot of time to take out the engine and thats what i have tried to avoid but i guess theres just no way out to do it reliable way. thats about it. AND if i were to send them my car and have them do it, i believe it would be cheaper compared to a local shop since they have more exp. taking less time and would have all tools necessary
Old Jan 21, 2008, 07:17 PM
Evolving Member

the easiest way to pull the motor is to pull motor and tranny together.. and just drop it right out of the bottom of the car...it takes a few hours to unhook all the sensors and lines but thats about it...pretty simple one of the easier cars to drop a motor...just make sure you release that throw-out bearing before trying to take the trans off the block...
Old Jan 22, 2008, 05:44 PM
Evolved Member

but he is doing it outside he has no life i pulled my evo head off the other day and let me tell you there are sensors out the yingyang on the evo lol just take your time man and keep track of all your bolts and put them in baggies because there will be alot.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

^^well, i've pulled the head a couple times for valve seals so i know that part. its pretty easy actually and i always had all the sensors in check so that part i wont worry about. but i've never pulled the engine out of the car before is what worries me. i suppose i felt that way too when first doing the head...but we'll see i guess
Old Feb 13, 2008, 03:58 PM
Evolving Member

When i get back from iraq i wanna do a stroker and bigger turbo...however i want to pull the motor and tranny myself and ship it off to br or ams. My car is paid off and i really want to do this myself with the help of a friend that knows tons about old school muscle and pulls and puts back in those motors all day...but he just looks under my hood and says wtf. lol. I want to do this myself so i can know that i did it myself and i want to be able to know how to do it. Can i really ruin something that would cost a arm and a leg. Can any of you guys offer advice. The only thing i have done to my car is put on the down pipe and exhaust and installed my works ride springs on my bilsteins.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 04:14 PM
Evolving Member

bump
Old Feb 13, 2008, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Being pretty far from BR here in NJ and not sure on turn around times. Ill need to find a local shop to do my bottom end build up the right way. 90k on my motor now and pulling like a frieght train. But I know a build is in the not too distant future.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 05:39 PM
Evolving Member

anyone have any advice for me?