Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

P0171, again yes i know but please read

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2008, 05:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P0171, again yes i know but please read

ok so i posted a thread about a fuel filter and aparently we only have the little filter on the fuel pump. the problem is that ever since my aquamist kit was installed and tuned (sept), i have been poping the P0171 code. im really getting sick of haveing a car that is undrivable. so i look at all the possible problems and the only ones i havent checked are....

1. have not replaced the front 02 because its $240
2. have not checked fuel pressure (any way i can do this without a gage?)
3. have not checked to see if the injectors are clogged(i doubt it because the car runs great when the code is cleared and @ WOT.)

now this was posted by my buddy in the last thread and explains a lot....

Originally Posted by DougoeFre5h
DB, you may want to make this into a new thread but I'll post it up here for you.

I'm deadbeat's good buddy, and we've been trying to diagnose this problem for a while now.

Facts: The car continuously pops a P0171.

Idle A/F hovers around 15, its fine.

Cruising A/F is perfect, unless of course he modulates the throttle just between cruising and closed throttle, the car hangs on around 17-18 A/F for a few seconds before cutting the injectors. Could be the issue?

WOT is not a problem, very well tuned.

All in all the car shouldn't be popping off this code constantly, but does. We can't decide if the meth has anything to do with it or not. Perhaps its fouling the O2? It IS honestly a pain in the *** for him to clear all the time. Turning the code OFF in the tune would be the best solution, but apparently he'd need to purchase a flasher AND get a new tune under that software from Al. $1000 bucks to turn a code of is insane.

So if anyone has any insight, or has experienced this before please post up.
like he said, the air/fuels are just fine when driving, 14.6-15.1. WOT they are 12.0-11.8(i have alky remember), and idle they are 14.7-16.0 ish. now like he said, if i slowly let off the throttle, the numbers will go from perfect to the gage reading --- when i am completly off throttle. this is normal i am presuming.

so any help would be great.

Last edited by deadbeatrec; Jan 23, 2008 at 06:15 AM.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 07:11 AM
Evolved Member

anyone?
Old Jan 23, 2008, 05:32 AM

I have a IX MR, and after adding the mods in my sig started getting the P0171 code - "System too Lean". I sent the ECU back to Dynoflash and just got it back finally yesterday, and now it is throwing P2195 - "O2 Sensor Stuck Lean". I don't have any meth or anything like that but have the same problem. I still think it is the tune...
Old Jan 23, 2008, 05:36 AM
Evolved Member

Try another tuner and a new o2 sensor.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

i do believe its my tune as well. it all started to happen right after my meth was installed and tuned. i think what happened (not sure) was the tuner took some fuel out to compensate for the meth, and too much was taken out down below and the large 780cc injectors arnt spraying enough. i think the fuel trims need to be adjusted a little.

when im sitting there idleing, the car will go from 14.6 to 16.0 a/f. it should only deviate +-.5 points. while cruising im fine at like 14.6-15.3, and WOT is fine as well. so im going to talk to the tuner and see what he thinks because i have changed nothing and this has been going on since late sept.

only other thing i can think of is a bad 02.

Last edited by deadbeatrec; Jan 23, 2008 at 06:19 AM.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 06:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Who tuned the car?
Old Jan 23, 2008, 06:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evoryder
Who tuned the car?
i would rather not say. im sure the tuner will fix it no matter what so i dont want any asshats coming into this thread and starting crap.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 06:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Either your tune is super lean or your o2 sensor is toast. If it's Al then your tune is not lean cause Al definitely doesn't tune lean
Old Jan 23, 2008, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02 sensors are a wear item. How many miles are on the car? It may be time.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

You can purchase the Bosch universal o2 sensor from your local autoparts store for about $80....just make sure they look it up in the computer to match the Evo since there is a few variations of the universal sensor....

I have been using one on my car for over a year now with no issues what so ever..(i burnt up my OEM sensor by running to much leaded race gas through it)..i also have a buddy of mine that has used one on his Evo IX (stripped out the OEM sensor putting on a new o2 housing) and he hasnt had any issues either....

Good luck...
Old Jan 23, 2008, 08:27 AM

I think in my case it very well may be that the sensor went out. The car has 30k miles on it. I sent my ECU back in to Al at Dynoflash, and he checked out everything he could, and the light came back on within an hour of putting it back in, so it must be something mechanical.

I will look into the Bosch one. Are these easy to install? I can do easy things myself, but I am definitely no mechanic.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

ok guys here is the deal...

last week i went to the local advanced auto and had them look them up for me.

the guy found 3, all bosch but one was different. 2 of them were $235 and supposedly came with the wire and all connections. the other one was $65 but i was told u had to cut off the old 02 and splice the new one into the old harness.

now thats something i dont mind doing persay, but he told me specificly not to get this one because they never ever work.

now mitsu wants $250 for the stock one. i also found this....

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/de...Q25024631.html

anyone ever use or herd of this brand?

Last edited by deadbeatrec; Jan 23, 2008 at 08:34 AM.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 08:41 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Its the tuning, not the o2 sensor.

THE TUNE

Injector scaling and latencies are not correct which I am sure is just teh tip of the iceberg with that tune.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
Its the tuning, not the o2 sensor.

THE TUNE

Injector scaling and latencies are not correct which I am sure is just teh tip of the iceberg with that tune.
so ur saying save my money and bring it back to my tuner?
Old Jan 23, 2008, 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

I would go back to him first. He's always willing to help out

Quick Reply: P0171, again yes i know but please read