Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Mod Challenge

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2003, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mod Challenge

So I wonder who will be the first company to release a mod for the ECU that will stutterbox it.

I know I would buy one.

Josh
Old Jul 24, 2003, 08:30 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Stutterbox?
Old Jul 24, 2003, 08:35 AM
In Timeout

wtf?
Old Jul 24, 2003, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Stutterbox is already available in the form of Flat-Shift.
It is made by T-Sports an Australian Co.
Cuts fuel and Spark at the set RPM every 40 ms or something like that. Seems to work pretty well.
Old Jul 24, 2003, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

Stutterbox -- When you are sitting with the clutch pressed in, the car will only rev to 5,000 rpm, even with it floored. You launch the car and then get full rev capabilities. Keep the gas floored, even through the shift. While you shift, the engine revs will return back to 5,000 rpm. When you drop the clutch in second gear, the engine is already right there at a damn good point to pick back up. You can go through an entire quartermile, from prestage to 1320 with the gas on the floor. See the advantages of it? Pretty good for heel-toe drifting, too. You never have to worry about over revving when the clutch is on the floor again.

Josh
Old Jul 24, 2003, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by timzcat
Stutterbox is already available in the form of Flat-Shift.
It is made by T-Sports an Australian Co.
Cuts fuel and Spark at the set RPM every 40 ms or something like that. Seems to work pretty well.
Got a link?

Josh
Old Jul 24, 2003, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

Nevermind, I found it.

www.rev-lite.com for all that are interested.

Josh
Old Jul 24, 2003, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

That's it. I didn't have the link handy.
The other plus is the turbo stays spooled during a shift and holds it's boost. Kind of like a ALS and it is only on during hard driving.

They seem to make quality products, too.
Old Jul 24, 2003, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

I emailed them about the Flat_shift. Hopefully they will respond. I also looked at US distributors of their products, but it looks like everyone just has the Rev-Lite. I might have to go gray label on this one.

Hell, it will be worth it. Stutterbox on my GSX was nice.
I can't wait to get it in the Evo.

Josh
Old Jul 24, 2003, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

I previously got a rev-lite from them. IT was nice and easy to install and had the adjustment right on it. no pills or nothing.
At the time I actually got it from the source in AUS an it didn't take too long. Remeber AUS is like double the US dollar.

I've thought about it too because it would be nice when I do finally venture to the track or god forbid decide to take on a tough challege on the street. Which I pretty much won't due but off a light to beat someone out for lane is no big deal. Anyway, it would seem to be the easiest way to launch because even at lower RPM setting the turbo would still be fully spooled and ready to go. Plus it may be easier on the clutch to have that kind of consistent launch control instead of having to play around with different methods,etc. If you get it, video it and put it up on here or the ftp site. I have a video of an Evo with something like it already and they have the video on thier site of the 1G DSM with it at the track. Only bad thing for the wooshers out there is the BOV won't open during shifts if it's active.
Old Jul 24, 2003, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

You could still make the BOV pop if you get off the throttle pedal on the shifts. You could drive around town blowing-off to your hearts content and then hit the track and be ready for business.

I was thinking about this as a setup:

Get the Rev-Shift, get an in cab adjuster for my MBC and an APEXi S-AFC II. Then get a carbon fiber glove box mounting plate from Road Race and cut it up and put the three units in there. Set the S-AFC II with a "street" and a "race" setting and leave it set on "street" while normal driving with the boost at 18. When I decidce to race, notch up the MBC about one full turn or a little more and flip the S-AFC II to "race" and turn on the Stutterbox. Clean instalation, completely hidden. The only thing exposed on my car will be the gauges.

I debated an anti-lag kit when I first started thinking about it, but changing my turbo every 5,000 miles just didn't appeal to me. Then I thought about maybe an ECU flash to incorporate a stutterbox. I started this thread to see if any of the ECU flash companies would get to work on it. Since T-Sport already makes a unit, I think I will just go with that. I like leaving the ECU stock since flashes are usually a permanent swap. If it works, great. If it doesn't......."Um.......Can you re-flash my ECU to stock?" Flashing the ECU seems to be a common thing with European tuners, though. It just seems strange to me. What if you want to modify yoru car past the point where you got it optimized with the flash? You still have to buy a piggyback? That isn't cool......You might as well get the piggyback in the first place. Until these flash companies start doing mods for the Evo like TechnoMotive does for the DSM's, I won't get mine flashed.

Josh
Old Mar 29, 2004, 02:28 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
digging up an old thread I know, but what ever came of this stutter box, you source one out, sounds good, wonder if their would be any safety issues with it engine wise?
Old Mar 29, 2004, 04:57 PM
Evolved Member

Vishnu is adding launch control to the XEDE. I don't have all the details, but I believe they said the update should be available soon.
Old Mar 29, 2004, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by erioshi
Vishnu is adding launch control to the XEDE. I don't have all the details, but I believe they said the update should be available soon.
Yep. With the stock turbo, we're able to generate as much as 7-9psi of boost while reving it against the launch rpm/aux rev limit. When the clutch is lifted, just imagine what kind of launch follows This was demonstrated this past weekend at the Portland dyno day

Cheers,
shiv

Last edited by shiv@vishnu; Mar 29, 2004 at 05:38 PM.
Old Mar 29, 2004, 05:36 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
now that is pretty crazy shiv

Quick Reply: Mod Challenge