Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

just got altered Exhaust ticket !

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2008, 11:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just got altered Exhaust ticket !

hey guys

i just got a altered exhaust ticket and i am running the perrin cat-back

wondering if anyone else has had this problem and maybe what they did to get it appealed

i emailed perrin asked them if they can send me anythign that can prove it is of OEM fit and decibal level

but any help would be great thanks
Old Jan 25, 2008, 11:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
send it to a ticket clinic...move on.
Old Jan 25, 2008, 11:33 PM
Evolved Member

cant move on because if this goes on my record then i will lose my license in Ma it counts as moving violation an i alreayd have 2 and 3 in one month you lose it
Old Jan 25, 2008, 11:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
ticket clinic will have it taken care of.
Old Jan 25, 2008, 11:40 PM
Evolved Member

wat is this ticket clinic u r talking about?
Old Jan 25, 2008, 11:45 PM
Evolving Member

Evoryder hes not from miami lol maybe that doesnt exist over there lol... its like a law office that you pay like $75.00 and they take care of your tickets..100% guaranteed..
Old Jan 26, 2008, 12:00 AM

Does the ticket specify the exact law that was broken? Does MA have a law banning all aftermarket exhaust replacements?

If you got a ticket for modification of exhaust system, you should be able to get it cleared because you did not modify your exhaust, you replaced it, unless it is illegal in your state even to do that.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 01:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
He broke emissions law. some states are very strict about it. It is illegal to modify any exhaust no matter what a company tells you. I am almost certain it is not a moving violation. It is the same as a tint ticket. You cannot fight it and I am pretty sure it isn't that expensive.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 07:17 AM

There are no emissions laws pertaining to catback exhausts as a catback does not affect emissions. Most state laws will restrict exhaust "modification" but there is a distinct and legal difference between that and exhaust "replacement".

Again I don't know if MA is different, but there I can't imagine there being a law that would ban all aftermarket exhaust replacements, as aftermarket automotive replacement parts are often times necessary to make repairs to the vehicle should an OEM part fail and not be available anymore.

Even in CA where things are pretty harsh, we need CARB#'s for pretty much anything to avoid ticket EXCEPT a catback exhaust, as it's placement puts it after all the emissions components so no CARB E.O. is needed.

A ticket can be issued if the exhaust is excessively loud, or you poked holes in your muffler to make it louder (that's considered "modification"), but one cannot be issued for simply having a non-OEM exhaust installed. That is for CA at least, and I find it hard to believe that other states would be worse off than us, and that non-OEM exhaust replacements would be completely illegal as it simply doesn't make sense from an automotive repair standpoint.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 07:37 AM

Turbodreamz21 you may want to hire SurferX as your legal advisor he seems to know what he is talking about. I can't imagine any other state having worst emission laws than CA

Are you running the stock cat, a HFC or a test pipe?

If you're running the stock cat or a HFC you should be good in court. A test pipe can get you in trouble.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had two in mass. won one lost the second. It states that you can not modify the exhaust in which it amplifies the sound yada yada.

It is a moving violation and it was 2 points on my insurance.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 08:03 AM
Evolved Member

get a fake receipt saying u fixed it- dont try to argue the its not against the law angle- just say u bought the car with an exhaust ur very sorry as it passed inspection but u had it fixed and it cost u $600 dollars- if u need a receipt u can come to worcester and ill print one for you
Old Jan 26, 2008, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

and also ur not just running a perrin catback as your sig "Perrin catless turbo-back exhaust
HKS INtake
GSC 272 cams
HKS Cam Gears"
cams and turbo back make for a loud combo- be prepared for more tickets in MA
Old Jan 26, 2008, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

i know i know

but im wondering if i take a picture of a stock exhaust on a 8 and take a piucture of my perrin cat-back

then mayeb i can fight it and say that it is a oem fitting exhuast he got me for altered exhaust

i told the officer that it passed inspection the way it is he told me it was way to loud for stock

i want to fine a website that i can egt a decibal chart saying it is withing the decibals also i am going to get a receipt from my mechanic saying the exhaust was rep[laced with a oem one

so idk what else to do
Old Jan 26, 2008, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

if i dont win it will go against me and i iwll lose my license mosty likely

Quick Reply: just got altered Exhaust ticket !