Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Intake manifold testing.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2008, 12:27 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd rather he didn't come in here and crap on the thread, that's an old style mani anyway so it doesn't really matter anymore. David was reluctant to post about it because he knew it was going to cause a storm since the results didn't favor the piece.

Hopefully we can move on to some more current and relative designs and learn something new instead of rehashing old news.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
So there is no confusion on the exact intake manifold I tested of Magnus's here are two pictures. This is the old design I am talking about. As far as I know he does not make this anymore. I am only taking the time to be this specific because I am not trying to bash the guys other products, new products or anything else he has done or is doing, ever was.

Old Feb 7, 2008, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't wait to see what to ported stocker with the 65mm TB does...... Plus I can't wait to see if the AMS out does it also... Good to see if these products are really worth their $1,000 + price tag or are you just paying for shinny metal that looks nice, but I'm sure the AMS piece will not perform like the Magnus!
Old Feb 7, 2008, 12:46 PM

Will there be any more testing today?AMS?
Old Feb 7, 2008, 12:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
A little off topic, but since the thread on your forum is closed now...

Someone over there basically accused you of being shady for selling the Magnus after you knew it did not work. You said you told them that it may not help. In the link from 3 years ago you posted in this thread earlier, you said this

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
I have sheetmetal intakes here on the shelf that I would love to sell. I have posted the results knowing full well that they could hurt sales of some parts. That doesn't make me happy but such is the life of honesty.

Want a sheetmetal? I will sell them "on sale", as I realize that in the past on the 4g63's they have made a difference, when tested with larger turbos. I don't know if that is going to be the case in this instance. You want one, please call us and we'll make you a screaming deal on it. The ones I have are set of for the stock TB or ported TB. I can change the flange if you want to go to a 3" TB too.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com

There ya have it.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 12:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mellon
I'd rather he didn't come in here and crap on the thread, that's an old style mani anyway so it doesn't really matter anymore. David was reluctant to post about it because he knew it was going to cause a storm since the results didn't favor the piece.

Hopefully we can move on to some more current and relative designs and learn something new instead of rehashing old news.
I'm sure that new style testing is on the way,probably better off to get this old Magnus thing over with quickly so we can see how much better off the newer designs are.Although if he did not test it can you imagine the storm it would have created anyway??
Old Feb 7, 2008, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

FWIW I did a rough lowish boost tune on my car before my mapper came several months ago. Once I had things working right with the new motor, etc... I installed the Magnus Race, and when I went for the first blast, I was watching the AFR's carefully because I expected it to go lean. They didn't and I was like, hmmm.

This was a change from stock TB and intake to ported 63 mm TB and Magnus Race. No other changes. However, I later did a boost leak test and found a leak at the intake mani adapter plate and have since fixed that, however once fixed I don't recall a change in AFR's either.

I put so much time and energy into my car already, I don't have time to test every part. I was concerned about the AFR's not going lean, and just had to move on with things as I can only put so much time and effort into it.

I'm quite happy with my car, but.... I can't help but think this part is not helping me. I'll wait until Paul's testing to see what's up. If I change mani's that means more tuning. I fly my tuner to me so it costs $$$, but I'm getting more confident in my own tuning I might consider making a switch and doing the remapping on my own.

Dave thanks for the testing.. I do wish if it only takes you an hour to do a intake manifold swap, that you tested the new version too.

100% Magnus needs to test their own products and post those results.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 01:25 PM
Former Sponsor

when you install a new part on to a car, it should be tuned for correct? You wouldn't put bigger injectors on a car and leave it untuned would you?
Old Feb 7, 2008, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by inneedof
when you install a new part on to a car, it should be tuned for correct? You wouldn't put bigger injectors on a car and leave it untuned would you?
I'm not sure if you are talking to me, but... if you bolt on a new intake mani, and run the same boost, and your AFR's don't go lean... I'd say that is enough evidence for me to be concerned.

But specifically about what I posted above, I am in no way suggesting the above is proof the new Magnus Race works or doesnt works. It was for a 10 psi tune and there was no dyno. I was just stating that I swapped in the part, hoped to see AFR's go lean, they didn't.

Magnus should test the part they are selling though.

Can't wait to see the results.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by inneedof
What is your point?? Are you just happy to have a keyboard to pound on?
Old Feb 7, 2008, 01:50 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by U2SLO
I'm sure that new style testing is on the way,probably better off to get this old Magnus thing over with quickly so we can see how much better off the newer designs are.Although if he did not test it can you imagine the storm it would have created anyway??
I totally agree
Old Feb 7, 2008, 01:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Wicked E
What is your point?? Are you just happy to have a keyboard to pound on?

point being what does a putting something on your car and not tuning for it show? Nothing, you can go from a stock turbo to a 35r and lose power it is all about tuning. Im not taking anything away from this test, because i could really not care less about it. But tuning a car for the parts that are on it is what will bring the power out of it. Im not attacking anyone... Come on guys this isn't the first time we have been around cars... tuning is a must
Old Feb 7, 2008, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

inneedof, look at the chart. The boost is within .4 tenths of a pound. The AFR's from 6200 up are in favor of the Magnus or dead even with the base run. NO tuning is going to help this product. The rich spot from 4500-6000 rpm shows the airflow SUCKS if it didn't SUCK it wouldn't have gotten so rich. Also keep in mind that as bad as that rich spot looks the richest point is 11.1:1 afr compared to 11.7:1 AFR. Yes, sometimes tuning is required but changing a part that makes the AFR's go richer is a sure sign it is NOT performing in a positive manner.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

Driven Innovations intake VS. stock intake, stock throttle body.

So, the company that wanted to remain silent was Driven Innovations. I honestly had never heard of the company before he contacted me. I guess in reality he has been around for quite some time. His product does perform very good.

We did the test this morning and on the first pull the AFR's went substantially leaner from 5000-8000 rpm. At that point I knew it was going to make more power. The AFR's went into the mid 12's from the mid 11's they were at. The boost was also higher hitting 35 psi. I re-adjusted the boost to bring it back down to the baseline test numbers and then added quite a bit of fuel to also get those back into line. This is NOT a tuning competition and I am not trying to make maximum power. In the case of this intake though the boost did get too high and the AFR's did go lean enough that it would make a power difference. I then made some quick adjustments to get an idea of what JUST the new intake manifold was doing. In the end my base line boost with the stock intake manifold was 32.9 psi and with Driven Innovations the peak boost was 32.2 psi. So .7 less boost pressure. It is still up on power. With some additional boost the midrange and top end would be improved too (for sure as I know what it made at 35 psi).

So here is the dyno sheet. This is the same baseline pull I am using to compare all the intake manifolds.

Bottom line is the Driven Innovations picked up 24 whp with .7 less boost and lost 10 ft lbs of torque. Had I worked really hard to get the boost exact that 10 ft lbs would have been gained back easily.

Finally numbers 630 whp-470 ft lbs of torque.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 02:13 PM
Evolving Member

The gains are nice but I don't know if I would like having a 500 rpm difference in torque. If you look at 470lb ft. it's hitting 500 rpms later with the DI intake. IMO, I'd sacrifice the peak for response if this was a street car. At the same time though, i'd like to see how the SMIM's do with a larger TB.

Quick Reply: Intake manifold testing.