Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Intake manifold testing.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2009, 03:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
David, did you by chance try retuning on the stock ported manifold that you welded up to get more balanced flow?

The idea behind balancing out the runners is that each cylinder runs more similar to the next. Typically your tune is dictated by the cylinder that is most prone to detonation. Getting them all even (in theory) should allow a more aggressive tune.
Old Feb 25, 2009, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
Mellon, quite to the contrary, read my last post and I think you will see that I feel the idea of FULLY simulating the performance of an intake manifold isn't going to happen at any normal shop. I agree, David's method is likely going to be the fastest and most proficient method of developing parts that work. However, some computer simulation can be beneficial like evaluating runner inlet profiles and runner airflow distribution if using non-symmetrical runners.

That is why it shouldn't keep us from discussing ways to improve on the process.

Scorke, I'm very interested in how you purpose to do a 3D transient state analysis in a quick manner? I'll shoot you a PM in how I was going about it and would love to hear back in here of how you would do it.

Every screen shot I have seen on here has been of a 3D steady state analysis with either a pressure differential between inlets and outlets or a mass flow rate input and a pressure on the outlet. I can whip one of those out in an hour no problem.

As for the question of can a standard computer can run this stuff, here is my PC setup. It's nothing amazing, but it's very stable, which is worth a lot in FEA. Nothing more frustrating than running an analysis for a day just to have it crash at 90% complete...

AMD Phenom 9850 BE (2.5GHz Quad core)
AMD 790FX/SB600 chipset (I need to go over to something with the 790FX/SB750 but haven't cared enough lately)
8GB DDR2 800 RAM (790FX/SB600 chipset has problems with 1066 with anything over 2G and with FEA, lots of RAM reduces the amount of times it has to go to the harddrive while processing large amounts of data)
Western Digital Velociraptor 10,000 RPM Sata 3.0 harddrive (essential because of the amount of data used in a 3D analysis)
4GB Ultra low latency flash drive (used for page file to reduce harddrive usage)
All factory clocking to assure stability
Vista 64 Ultimate

Now, most of the analysis I have done has been on Floworks because it's easy to work with and on the steady state stuff works well enough. Floworks is not written to multi-thread all that well so it only runs three cores at like 50% and then 1 core at about 50%. I'm sure Ansys would speed things up a lot as it's written to be ran on multi-processor servers, not to mention it would be a lot more stable. Floworks has some issues once you start doing 3D and really hates unsteady flow.
that is one badd *** setup u have there wow!! and i thought i had a good home pc. nice very nice
Old Feb 25, 2009, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GSR I will PM you tomorrow when I am thinking straight...

Scorke
Old Feb 25, 2009, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
I did run the welded up/ported intake we built. It made more power across the board than the V2 at 30 psi/600 whp. At 40 psi/700 whp however it got beat by 11 whp and 8 ft lbs.

This thread is very old and got bumped for some reason a week or so ago. For those of you that would like to bring this to a more current thread with my current testing/flow benching/dyno numbers and pictures of the intake I built just go here:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...low-bench.html
Old Feb 25, 2009, 10:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 1badgsex
that is one badd *** setup u have there wow!! and i thought i had a good home pc. nice very nice
Thanks, I built it specifically for engineering computing and for the budget I had, it was the best compromise between speed, stability, and cost for doing LOTS of calculations. It doesn't benchmark like an intel, but man it hauls some serious *** when you load it down with 500,000 nodes and 1,500,000 degrees of freedom doing stress analysis on parts.