Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Intake manifold testing.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2008, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Intake manifold testing.

So as the world knows I am going to be doing an intake manifold shootout of sorts. I am not doing a lot of them. I don't have the time or desire to test every single intake that is on the market. I would like to find something worth some additional power over the stock ported unit we are running though.

I have AMS's VSR, Hypertune's, the old original Magnus and one other company who wishes to remain quiet for now.

I will be comparing them to the ported stocker with our 65mm throttle body on it.

With this testing I wanted to build something I have been thinking about for quite some time. Just as an experiment. I cut the plenum off a stock intake manifold and built a larger 4" plenum. I wanted to post the pictures for you guys to check out. It is quite a bit of work building it, it will be interesting to see what just a plenum change does compared to the stock ported intake.

Enjoy the pictures.

[/QUOTE]

BTW, this testing that I got myself involved in was from an internet "fight" I also got myself into. This was in no way started to take away the spot light from Paul's (ifarted) testing that he is doing. I started this to prove a certain intake manifold either doesn't or does work and then ended up being contacted by other companies to go ahead and test theirs while I was at it. There will be a feature in a major magazine over this testing that I am going to do. I have turned away a few other intake manufacturers as I am not interested in testing anymore than these few I have.

Thanks for reading.
Old Jan 31, 2008, 12:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good Luck Dave Let Us Know The Results You Always Produce A High Quality Product That Always Has Good Results.....
Old Jan 31, 2008, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

That's is going to be excellent data Dave. Keep us informed!!!

The experiment with the stocker will sure be interesting!!!

Hope you find some good extra ponies for the Bad Bish, that give you the best compromise of overall gains!!!
Old Jan 31, 2008, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

I wish you were testing the JM Fabrications intake manifold... maybe thats the one who wants to remain nameless.
Old Jan 31, 2008, 12:33 PM

bump..alrite finally i've been waiting for this.....though i was gonna go the stock ported intake manifold and 65mm throttle body by buschur racing anyways...still good to see what it stacks up to...

whoohoo
Old Jan 31, 2008, 12:45 PM
Evolving Member

Looks very interesting,can't wait to see the results.......wanna test it on my car??

Last edited by U2SLO; Jan 31, 2008 at 12:47 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2008, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

Dave - Could you quickly re-cap with the ported/65mm did for you over the stocker. That may help put things in perspective unless you plan on listing those results again? Thanks!
Old Jan 31, 2008, 12:58 PM
Account Disabled

cant wait to see the results
Old Jan 31, 2008, 01:04 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Looks awesome man! If you had to build another one of these, how much do you think it would cost, assuming you had a stock core?
Old Jan 31, 2008, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

im not sure if all u guys know it or not but intake manifolds are actually calculated pieces. the size and placement of the runners determines where the HP and TQ will hit. they are more than just pretty pieces of polished Aluminum. i have actually seen people calculate where they want their peak TQ to hit and build a intake mani around that formula.
Old Jan 31, 2008, 01:16 PM
Former Sponsor

What are the constants of your test? Turbo, how much tuning, cams, ect
Old Jan 31, 2008, 01:33 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm also interested in the turbo/boost etc... I'm rocking the ported stocker which I think is pretty good but I'd be interested in going with something else if it meant more power at the same boost/afr.

Last edited by Mellon Racing; Jan 31, 2008 at 01:41 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2008, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

nice!!!
Old Jan 31, 2008, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

Do you ever sleep? Finally, some real testing.
Old Jan 31, 2008, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by inneedof
What are the constants of your test? Turbo, how much tuning, cams, ect
inneedof, There's only been one variable introduced. The Manifold. Everything else would be constants. If a part is being tested for maximum benefit or power, the only way to get it would be to "TUNE" for it. That allows each part being tested to reach it's maximum gain. If a head is ported, you MUST tune to take advantage of the increased flow. Same goes for a manifold test.

Quick Reply: Intake manifold testing.